Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

IPMI is dead and GetDedi.com refuse to fix it - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

IPMI is dead and GetDedi.com refuse to fix it

Comments

• peter08popeter08po Member
    edited June 2014

@Wintereise said:
    This will be our last reply on this topic, because there's pretty much nothing to do but go around in circles.

Bye! Good luck in your future endeavors.

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep
    edited June 2014

peter08po said: Remember, just reboot to BIOS.

A simple push button reboot and a reboot to BIOS are two different things. Many data centers will push the power or reset button for you for no charge (or for a very minimal charge), especially if it is during day time hours. Connecting a monitor/keyboard and entering BIOS is almost always billable labor, which would be billed at the hourly rate.

Here's a thought.

Ask them to temporarily disable the switch port for eth0 of your server, clear out the ARP entry, then try to access the IPMI. Should allow you to get in and make the necessary config changes, then they can re-enable the switch port.

No remote hands required.

edited June 2014

@qps said:
    Here's a thought.

Ask them to temporarily disable the switch port for eth0 of your server, clear out the ARP entry, then try to access the IPMI. Should allow you to get in and make the necessary config changes, then they can re-enable the switch port.

No remote hands required.

No hope on them. They are going to say that my server is unmanaged and they are out of this. Perhaps such a complex job will even give them a chance to charge me a lot more. But anyway, thank you for your suggestion

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited June 2014

TL;DR: you fucked up one time, they helped for free. You fucked up exactly the same way for a second time and you expect free support one more time.

Looks like you need a managed service, specially since you assigned the IPMI address to your eth0. Two times.

Thanked by 1mpkossen
  • smansman Member
    edited June 2014

Not defending anyone on either side but this is an easy mistake to make...once. I did it....once. So now rule #1 is never ever mess with IPMI settings in BIOS.

Regarding datacenters. This is why I try find providers who own or have a close relationship with the datacenter. At the very least check that they are located in the same city or have employees in different cities so you know there is a good chance they are in there every day.

This is not as easy as it sounds. Everyone tries to make it seem as if they have their own people looking after their equipment in all their data centers which often is not the case. So really hard to almost impossible to get this sort of information out of them or to try find it out in other ways. You have to become Sherlock Holmes in some respects. Check for past job openings, compare phone numbers, ask on boards like LET, social engineering ;).

• smansman Member
    edited June 2014

@Jack said:
    sman he didn't mess with IPMI in BIOS...

As far as I know... he binded the IPMI IP to the OS?

If IPMI will still work on reboot then there should not be a charge just for a reboot. Most people here are saying it's not that so that can only mean it was changed in BIOS.

Many providers have remote power cycle capability in their control panels so even if I lost IPMI I should still be able to reboot.

• tbh, even though the OP did mess up, and the host is helping for free, it's a bit silly to send someone a message saying "OK, you have a 40 minute window" as opposed to agreeing upon a timeframe.

Thanked by 1peter08po
  • smansman Member

@Jack said:

Awfully quick to judge aren't we? Before I even had a chance to clarify. HMMM

• You can do it with ipmitool as well

@sman: The easiest way to find out whether a company owns their datacentre is look for things like construction permits at city hall. You can't build a datacentre without electrical permit, construction permits, etc.

Or if they are on the tenant register for that building, most buildings have a wall board to tell you where the tenants are located. So people colocating with Coresite/Equinix etc don't appear.

• AlexanderMAlexanderM Member, Top Host, Host Rep
    edited June 2014

@sman said:

Don't worry, @Jack is cool

• smansman Member
    edited June 2014

@MarkTurner said:
    You can do it with ipmitool as well

sman: The easiest way to find out whether a company owns their datacentre is look for things like construction permits at city hall. You can't build a datacentre without electrical permit, construction permits, etc.

Or if they are on the tenant register for that building, most buildings have a wall board to tell you where the tenants are located. So people colocating with Coresite/Equinix etc don't appear.

...but most don't own it which is fine by me if they have staff onsite regularly.

• LeeLee Veteran

AlexanderM said: Don't worry, @Jack is just an English Prick

Are you a provider or just 12.

Thanked by 2MartinD hostnoob
  • @sman but the you end up in the point of who's cage is it? Who's staff is it? etc. A certain company in NJ has just gone pear shaped who had their 'own' datacentre, staff, etc. We bought the assets over the w/e, during the disclosures 'own' datacentre became a private cage which when two of my colleagues arrived this morning has just turned out to be 4 racks in someone else's cage and they've never been to site according to the access log.

It turns out that they don't even own their router, they are just using a vRouter on their upstream providers network. Their router turns out to be a Dell 1U server which they have strung a couple of Juniper EX4200's off.

When you read their marketing material vs the reality it makes your head spin.

• AlexanderMAlexanderM Member, Top Host, Host Rep
    edited June 2014

@W1V_Lee said:
    Are you a provider or just 12.

Me and jack are really good mates, it's called banter ? @W1V_Lee

• wychwych Member

@AlexanderM said:
    Me and jack are really good mates, it's called banter ? W1V_Lee

good ol banter lads!

@MarkTurner said:

I get this due to the IM work I do; you read a copy and see the product sometimes... #headgone

• smansman Member
    edited June 2014

@MarkTurner said:
    sman but the you end up in the point of who's cage is it? Who's staff is it? etc. A certain company in NJ has just gone pear shaped who had their 'own' datacentre, staff, etc. We bought the assets over the w/e, during the disclosures 'own' datacentre became a private cage which when two of my colleagues arrived this morning has just turned out to be 4 racks in someone else's cage and they've never been to site according to the access log.

It turns out that they don't even own their router, they are just using a vRouter on their upstream providers network. Their router turns out to be a Dell 1U server which they have strung a couple of Juniper EX4200's off.

I guess it sort of depends if we are talking managed vs unmanaged. I am talking unmanaged. I just want hardware and a reliable connection and that's it. If a drive dies I want it replaced asap. That sort of thing. That is about the best I hope for with unmanaged. As far as who owns the core networking gear and that sort of thing. I don't hope to get to know that far in. If they are having problems with the core gear it's a big enough problem that the data center employees usually get on it right away. I look at the particulars of the data center and history of problems with other providers in that data center for that

I have accepted that this is pretty much the status quo in this biz. Unless you want to go with premium providers at premium prices and even that is no guarantee.

• LeeLee Veteran

That kind of banter is best kept for Skype, not on a public forum for everyone to see and relate to the your signature. Not that it bothers me, but if you find that acceptable in public then it says volumes to to the clients that might have chosen you but found that comment in their search.

Thanked by 2MartinD hostnoob
  • He'll be too busy driving around in his Z4 to care tbh.

• LeeLee Veteran

Z4? Who made that bad decision...

• tehdantehdan Member

I'm seriously considering billing the OP $37.50 just for reading this thread.

• @Nyr said:
    TL;DR: you fucked up one time, they helped for free. You fucked up exactly the same way for a second time and you expect free support one more time.

Looks like you need a managed service, specially since you assigned the IPMI address to your eth0. Two times.

Quit pissing off here. You didn't even read my post.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

@peter08po said:
    Quit pissing off here. You didn't even read my post.

I did.

• peter08po said: Quit pissing off here. You didn't even read my post.

Did he have to?

• @Rallias said:
    Did he have to?

Do you have to?

• peter08po said: Do you have to?

No, I don't. But I'll give some friendly advice.

If you want to shit on a provider, don't bother trying to leave out the shit that'll look bad on you. It'll come out one way or another.

• @Rallias said:
    If you want to shit on a provider, don't bother trying to leave out the shit that'll look bad on you. It'll come out one way or another.

You obviously thought too much about this.

edited June 2014

@Nyr said:

I didn't expect "free" support, did I? I didn't assigned "two times" the IPMI to interface, did I?

• peter08po said: You obviously thought too much about this.

You must be new here. You think I think about stuff? LAWL.

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

lol

• @Rallias said:
    You must be new here. You think I think about stuff? LAWL.

You are really brilliant. Really, because you know I'm new here.