Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Whats next.. 5GB RAM for 7 dollars? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Whats next.. 5GB RAM for 7 dollars?

Comments

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Last warning? Are you going to send me to my room without icecream? Please, spend your energy handling your CentOS 6 issues than trying to have a pissing contest on these forums with me :)

My point on here and on LEB stand the same, the RAM isn't readily available and a chat with a SL rep claims the RAM isn't available yet really. That doesn't mean it couldn't be a custom order with a sales manager but they aren't going to absorb very much on it putting you out, at the very minimum, something like $1000+. Now, why would you put that much down when you could colocate in a great facility (be it in SJ or even in your home state) and reap the cash benefits?

You actually paid out for 8GB sticks? cool, but it's not a smart business move. E3's are great CPU's but you could go build a 48GB box with 16 full threads for about the same at the end of the day.

I've done the math/configs/etc on E3's 2 dozen times since June when we originally planned our build and we ended up going with 5520's again because of the RAM limits & costs. The E3's are great and a 1270 benches just as high as my dual quads. Does that mean it'd handle our work loads better? Hardly, the extra threads benefit us greatly.

Francisco

• edited October 2011

Yeah its funny man.. I'm willing to bet money on the fact the sales agent was named Joseph?

I was on the phone with him to find out what needed to happen to keep the current box ready for a OS downgrade in case the new box does not resolve it. I brought up that I was catching flack over how someone says it can't be done. He mentioned that "someone was just asking about that AND THAT THEY LEFT CHAT BEFORE HE GAVE YOU AN ANSWER!"

Your dead wrong on this deal Fran and honestly you owe me an apology. You can cock a attitude and try to be cute with me all you want.. Keep saying publicly that I'm lying on this and it's only going to come back to hurt you.

• yomeroyomero Member
    edited October 2011

Please, stop this discussion =( or go elsewhere to continue =(

Fran, work hard and release da ponys.

Brandon, work hard and fix the issues.

n_n

Joseph was the one and stated it wasn't possible to get 32GB in them :) I mentioned a custom purchase and he again said the same thing. As I said, if you got a direct sales manager deal then they aren't going to simply tell some guy with no servers with them.

I waited on him but all he asked was if I had any other questions and that was it.

Until I hear otherwise from them I'm not putting an apology out, i'll even go ask on their live chat in a few minutes when I'm done helping on #frantech

Francisco

• It's not in every datacenter. It is in San Jose because they have 8GB sticks in stock.

The facts are this:

http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon/C202_C204/X9SCi-LN4F.cfm

" 3. Up to 32GB DDR3 ECC 1333MHz UDIMMs in 4 sockets "

Then you have this:

http://www.provantage.com/supermicro-memdr380lsl02er13~7SUPM3FL.htm

$132.00 a stick..

$528 bucks retail for the RAM.. Do you think Softlayer pays retail?

So where does 528 RETAIL = your numbers of 2K?

Start apologizing.. I'm tried of screwing around with you.

That's Registered Brandon.

That is NOT the same as UDIMM's.

Francisco

edited October 2011

http://www.provantage.com/supermicro-memdr380lsl01eu13~7SUPM3KC.htm

That's what you're looking for.

My price adds up pretty damn close doesn't it? :)

EDIT - I should add that i'm not trying to be a smart ass in this, I'm just putting up my points and stated on the front page that the sticks CAN be had, just incredibly costly and I question any budget provider that's mentioning buying these.

Francisco

• Again.. you think they pay retail?

Nope, but even still it isn't like they're going to get the sticks for 1/4 the listing price either. If they were, why wouldn't they list them for sale or as an option?

Anyways, at this point i'm going to back out of this until you're done with CentOS6 / downgrades to CentOS 5 since I think it's unfair to be wanting to brawl over this when you're pre-occupied.

I'll apologize for pushing that you were on 16GB RAM, but given what I see/discuss on WHT (even from some very large buyers, up there with softlayer i'm sure), my reasoning is valid, even you can agree to that.

Francisco

• Apology accepted.. Why would I get on here and lie to you and everyone else.. Man you pissed me off.

Anyways -- I'm going back to work now.

Brandon

check your PM.

Now.

Francisco

• Pfff, this topic must be... closed asap u_u

yomero said: Pfff, this topic must be... closed asap u_u

It just has to get back on the right subject instead of Brandon & I having a pissing contest. I apologized, he accepted :)

** back to topic **

Anyways, my big concern with seeing deals like this is that the company doesn't have intentions to hold out for the full lease and will disappear. Be it they meant it or not is a whole other story but given some of the listings that have gone up it's not uncommon.

• I personally dislike overselling. But when you post what you think is a great deal and 5 minutes later someone else posts the same specs or better at a lower price, you just have sit back and ask if its worth it to try to match it.

• circuscircus Member
    edited October 2011

Francisco said: doesn't have intentions to hold out for the full lease

I hope they have better luck than CU (Every offers with SL DC remind me of them ^_^).

• oscmsscom said: I personally dislike overselling. But when you post what you think is a great deal and 5 minutes later someone else posts the same specs or better at a lower price, you just have sit back and ask if its worth it to try to match it.

Great deal means nothing if it doesn't work. IPAP had the best deal I've ever seen here, and we all know how that turned out. Sure, they'll get a lot of clients in the first month, but they won't stay. If you're looking for quick money, you can post any deal you want. But you better match that great deal with a decent service if you want to stay in this business.

• Sigh, single E5620, 36GB RAM, 4x 500GB drives RAID10, only 3TB traffic WITHOUT IPs costs like $1500 at SoftLayer. Why don't you show us your price? How much those VPS do you have to put on the node ONLY to cover the bills? Like 300? Do you really think that box would keep 300x 2GB VPS? Sigh, it's 600GB RAM, what are you thinking man? It'd hold up if every VPS was idling, but only auto updates for certain control panels will crash the node. Let alone RAM and your 1000% overload, i/o will be raped badly. Some people have no common sense. Even Fran with his own hardware and great bw and ip pricing couldnt afford it, and you are doing it from the MOST expensive leased server ever. You didnt learn anything from CU failure, did you?

• apollo15 said: You didnt learn anything from CU failure, did you?

I don't know how anyone could learn from the CU failure as the real truth will probably never come out, and it seems SoftLayer has pricing for everyone, nobody pays the same price.

• it seems SoftLayer has pricing for everyone, nobody pays the same price.

I could have told you that. I learned that 10+ years ago when I was with them. When they were ev1, they admitted to having contracts with certain clients that allowed them to look the other way on complaints in return for looking the other way on complaints. Heck, I have such a thing for my adult content clients as they use high amounts of bandwidth. (Not for abuse though)

Trying to remember what they were called. "Yellow contracts" come to mind but I can't find the reference. I think that was the AT&T version. They were contracts that they knew would attract a high level of complaints.

• apollo15 said: Let alone RAM and your 1000% overload, i/o will be raped badly.

i/o is quite decent for now, and we don't know what they are actually paying. I don't think any provider here ever told us what they are paying for their nodes, which is quite understandable.
    Certainly it's not $1500, and I doubt they have 300 servers per node.

• Just doing some back of the napkin math here, not that the numbers are going to directly apply to any particular provider's situation or contracts:

Softlayer, San Jose DC, single CPU Xeon 1270. $199.00/mo base.
    16GB RAM +350. Lets say this actually gets 32GB just for giggles.
    RAID10 +50 (all RAID configs are the same price).
    +500GB $30/mo*4
    3TB bandwidth included
    10mbps uplink
    No additional services.
    $719.00/month

The funny thing is, I'm figuring you can actually get this knocked down a great deal.. $120/month for 4 $75/ea retail disks is pretty hilarious for example. This is just public pricing and one-off at that - Softlayer doesn't really want to bother with customers doing the single server thing, I'm sure.

Still, lets cut that down to $250/mo. 66% off. At $7/month you're looking at 36 users to break even, just on the box, not including transaction fees. I like the number 32 better, so lets be generous again and roll with that.

32768MB across 32 customers is a convenient 1024MB. Not accounting for overhead of the host OS, of course. A 50% oversell, so far.

Here's how I'd handle a promotion like this, with one-off spikes in user signups:

Buy way too much hardware, distribute users evenly across it so their initial performance is actually good and doesn't fall to hell with everyone thrashing the disk and actually doing stuff with their box. After the initial excitement dies down, migrate users down to a handful of nodes that allow decent performance for the users still actually doing stuff. Do another sale to again fill the remaining boxes, rinse and repeat. I'm betting after a month, the average user is under 512MB RAM usage, and based on my own usage probably under 256MB, and hits disk IO pretty rarely. Just be intelligent about who winds up where, and you're set, and probably hit a reasonably profitable density in short order.

Still, I don't know that I trust a business model that hinges on selling people a monthly service they don't use ;)

• Overselling HD space is not a problem, if the hoster upgrades it later. People won't just use up all the space at a sudden, so it is enough to add more if maybe 80% is used up.
    This doesn't work for RAM, of course!

• he claims to have 32GB RAM, then 32 / 2 = 16 * 7 = $112

Tell me he doesnt oversell, dirly overseller.

• vedranvedran Veteran
    edited October 2011

@apollo15

You registered just to trash a single company here. Do you have any particular reason? Do you have a horror story you'd like to share (we all love good horror stories).

Btw, everyone oversells.

No one really knows how many boxes he was able to get SL to make for him. Is there anyone on a 2GB that isn't suffering from the CentOS 6 stuff? Or maybe he provisioned all of the new nodes with CentOS 6 =\

Francisco

• calm down, Im just discusing and this topic catched my eye. I plan on being a regular member here.

I still dont understand what is the poing of 2GB that you can't use? its clear that Node is overloaded to hell and back, I highly doubt you can even get 64MB out of that, let alone 2GB - if solusvm numbers make you happy, be my guest.

• KairusKairus Member
    edited October 2011

You shouldn't blindly talk about something you have no actual experience with. These companies may/may not oversell (I think most in the industry do), but what's most important is if the service is stable, and fast, does it really matter? I have a 2GB server w/ eNetSouth and ChicagoVPS, nothing serious on them, mostly minecraft that I backup daily. While I just picked up the eNet server yesterday, it's been fine, excluding a bit of downtime where the server was pingable, yet couldn't SSH/do much in Solus. I've had the Chicago VPS since the offer went out on LEB, and have had no memory allocation issues. Disk I/O is acceptable, much better on eNet though:

eNet:

root@threat:/tmp# dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync
    16384+0 records in
    16384+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 8.75384 s, 123 MB/s

Chicago:

root@threat:/tmp# dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync
    16384+0 records in
    16384+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 17.6925 s, 60.7 MB/s

UnixBench for both machines is around 460-480 (although the eNet VPS only has 2 cores allocated, while the Chicago one has 4).

Connection speeds are fantastic on both servers.

As far as I know both the companies are reputable, and active on LET/WHT, so I don't see any real issue here. I'm still wondering how they're making a profit (if they even are). I had a few servers w/ softlayer about a year and a half ago, and I know you can work out some crazy deals with them, I remember getting about $400-500/mo discount when I worked out a deal with them for 6 servers. But I still wonder...

• @Kairus was that for each server or a discount off the total bill? When I left, I had three and all I got was a total of $75 off.

• @drmike, It was off the total bill. I had 4 servers with them at the time, and was having issues with one that I narrowed down to hardware issues (weird FreeBSD kernel panics). They just got new Xeons in, so I spoke to sales, cancelled my current servers, ordered 6 new ones (5 public facing + 1 internal, for backups). The sales guy quoted out the machines I wanted, and would drop the charge for extra bandwidth on one machine, ram upgrade on another, only charge for one SCSI drive in some of the machines, throw in a RAID controller no charge, etc. They're willing to work with you a LOT on the prices, fantastic company. I can only imagine what kind of deals they're willing to cut you if you're buying 10+ 32gb monster machines.