Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vultr vs Digital Ocean Feature Matrix - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Vultr vs Digital Ocean Feature Matrix

Comments

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited June 2014

Let's see... i think we have a winner feature wise (but not location wise)

Hourly from 4.32EUR with 512MB - 20GB - 1TB BW
    http://www.domflow.it/onlineprezzi.php

Locations:              SeFlow/Domflow
    Billing Method:        Hourly
    Virtualization:         KVM
    High Availability:      YES [2 DCs in Milan/IT, 2 SANs]
    Storage Method:         iSCSI over Ethernet [? Might be FC/IB, SAN]
    Upgrades:               Requires reboot (? OnApp)
    Auto-Scaling:           YES [ OnApp ]
    Custom Kernel:          YES [ KVM ]
    Storage Type:           SSD [SAN]
    Internal Network:       YES
    Windows/BSD Support:    YES
    RAID:                   Hardware RAID10 (?)
    API:                    YES
    Snapshots:              YES
    Multiple IPv4:          YES
    IPv6:                   YES
    Custom ISO:             NO [Really sad about that, with grml i could have migrated a lot of VMs to them] 
    SSH Keys:               YES
    Startup Scripts:        YES
    Application Templates:  YES

Thanked by 2Mark_R TheHackBox
  • Good luck pulling anything even slightly over 100mbit on DO's 'cloud' servers...

• ehabehab Member

@GoodHosting said:
    It's almost ready for release as well.

thats nice looking.

• DaveADaveA Member

Nice comparison @serverian - We support SSH keys via startup scripts. Application templates are theoretically possible via startup scripts and we will make some available for popular applications.

• @DaveA any plan to support internal network?

• DaveADaveA Member

@vonlulzweg - Yes

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited June 2014

Regarding IPv6 support:

1) on DO only "grandfathered" users get to participate in Beta (which means early adopter users of DO who signed up during some period back when they were just starting, and it's not possible to join the Beta for anyone else); IPv6 Beta available only in Singapore; and finally, each droplet gets just one IPv6 address with no way to get more.

2) don't know much details about Vultr's beta, but from what I read a /64 subnet can be requested, which is already worlds better than DO; also seems like anyone can request to join the beta-testing.

Thanked by 1mpkossen
  • DH22DH22 Member

I have had issues at several of Vultr's locations where DO has always been reliable for me. CPU is better at Vultr and ability to have additional IPs is nice (or more accurately its stupid for DO not to support this). But I had too many network/stability problems with Vultr that I have almost completely stopped using them. To be fair I am not using DO that much either due to not supporting additional IPs but otherwise DO has been great for me.

• DaveADaveA Member

@DH22 - Sorry to hear you had problems. We are not getting this sort of feedback from other users. I'm sure you've opened support tickets but could you PM me a ticket # so I can personally look into it. Thanks!

• DavidxDavidx Member
    edited June 2014

@GoodHosting said:
    It's almost ready for release as well.

That's the ugliest interface I've ever seen.

• DH22DH22 Member
    edited June 2014

@DaveA said:
    DH22 - Sorry to hear you had problems. We are not getting this sort of feedback from other users. I'm sure you've opened support tickets but could you PM me a ticket # so I can personally look into it. Thanks!

You did reply once to a recent ticket regarding frequent server/network hiccups in the UK. I can PM the ticket # to you. At a couple of your other locations it felt like Vultr was either getting DDOSed or servers were overloaded occasionally with latency spiking up very high.

Since the majority of my servers are game servers, these issues probably impact me a lot more than most on LET. For purposes that don't require extremely stable performance you do get more for your money on Vultr than DO.

(The server for this game uses very little CPU or RAM and runs great on DO 512MB and with many other VPS companies.)

• J1021J1021 Member
    edited June 2014

I've found Vultr to be great. I'm still using my initial $5 credit which was doubled to $10 because I only require the services for very short amounts of time (a few hours) to run Windows. CPU is very fast and network is also very speedy, often reaching over 500Mb/s transferring files at the London location. (Haven't tried other locations)

• rm_ said: 2) don't know much details about Vultr's beta, but from what I read a /64 subnet can be requested

/64 is the default, yes, im using it in Tokyo and it works fine.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited June 2014

@DaveA I have had a great experience with vultr so far with using it to nest one of the LES nodes, the IPv6 works great (although some geo-ip issues have been reported) the only thing that may force me to move to Linode is the lack of support for advance buying of bandwidth with a rather high fee p/GB after the allowance.

Of course I have accounted for this in the project the best I can but the lack of ability to buy extra ad-hoc resource is a bit of a let down and the bandwidth is VERY disproportionate when upgrading packages i.e. the $70 p/month package only gets 100GB extra bandwidth despite paying 100% more.

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited June 2014

Maounique said: IWStack is a different product

Well, despite the fact that you only offer one location (witch I' fine with it as I live in Europe), I think that IWstack has all the features that DO and Vultr give to users plus a lot of more plus an unbeatable price and pricing model IMHO. So, why IWstach is not a DO and Vultr killer? What can Do or Vultr can do that IWstack cannot (except locations)? As of performance, I compared in production sites and in streaming a do instance with an iwstack instance, I found no difference (both behaved fine). As of the UI, if you play with it a bit, you will find that it is no problem at all although it is not simple.

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • DaveADaveA Member

@Anthonysmith - Thanks for the feedback, we have some ideas in the works with how to handle our higher bandwidth users.

• niceboyniceboy Veteran

any one tell me ssh keys with putty is not supported on vultr?

• BradBrad Member
    edited June 2014

@niceboy said:
    any one tell me ssh keys with putty is not supported on vultr?

It should work just fine. What issues are you having?

• niceboyniceboy Veteran

I did not try them yet.. but saw ssh keys don't work as mentioned by op.

• niceboy said: I did not try them yet.. but saw ssh keys don't work as mentioned by op.

That only applies to auto insertion on install.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@jvnadr said:
    Well, despite the fact that you only offer one location (witch I' fine with it as I live in Europe), I think that IWstack has all the features that DO and Vultr give to users plus a lot of more plus an unbeatable price and pricing model IMHO. So, why IWstach is not a DO and Vultr killer? What can Do or Vultr can do that IWstack cannot (except locations)? As of performance, I compared in production sites and in streaming a do instance with an iwstack instance, I found no difference (both behaved fine). As of the UI, if you play with it a bit, you will find that it is no problem at all although it is not simple.

We cannot support many locations, because, while there is no problem for the orchestrator, it is a problem for us. Prometeus will always be a small family business, we will cover all the world eventually, but like 1 location in Europe, one in US, one in Asia and that is it. Also, lack the marketing skills and funds, but it is OK, we do not aim to take over the corporate world, Prometeus is the small corner shop while DO is Tesco/Carrefour, basically the same products, but better serving and friendliness, with more customization and features. The only thing that does not fit the comparison is the price, in general, the corner shop does have higher prices, when ours are similar or lower in places.
    Besides, we do not offer only one location, just only one with all the features, Dallas does not have fail-over and no virtual router. If there is demand, we will deploy a full zone there, but it is not the case now.

Thanked by 2jvnadr sentarum
  • Vultr doing good to me, moved one one month ago from DO to Vultr

• GunterGunter Member

@Maounique said:
    Prometeus is the small corner shop while DO is Tesco/Carrefour, basically the same products, but better serving and friendliness, with more customization and features. The only thing that does not fit the comparison is the price, in general, the corner shop does have higher prices, when ours are similar or lower in places.

That was a beautiful explanation.

• Maounique said: Besides, we do not offer only one location, just only one with all the features, Dallas does not have fail-over and no virtual router. If there is demand, we will deploy a full zone there, but it is not the case now.

Hello,

I'm looking at iwstack website now and still can't find iwstack DC location after few minutes.

It is really interesting if you also have dallas location, any test IP?

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

PMed you to not further derail the thread.

• DavidxDavidx Member
    edited June 2014

@AnthonySmith said:
    I have had a great experience with vultr so far with using it to nest one of the LES nodes

Is the LES Japan node a KVM box?

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

@David_P said:
    Is the LES Japan node a KVM box?

it is yes, it is nested in vultr.

• DavidxDavidx Member

@AnthonySmith said:
    it is yes, it is nested in vultr.

That's awesome :D.

• AmitzAmitz Member

I wonder why serverian always opens these vultr threads. Is there any connection/link between them? NOT looking for drama, just out of interest!

• @Amitz said:
    I wonder why serverian always opens these vultr threads. Is there any connection/link between them? NOT looking for drama, just out of interest!

Stop being ridiculous. I opened the first thread to announce it and because of my thread hundreds (or thousands?) of people are getting a good service and they are very happy.

This thread is to show differences between 2 major "cloud" players without any personal comment at all. It's not favoring one to another.