Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Monitoring solution - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Monitoring solution

2»

Comments

• I am going to add some insight from what I see on our internal systems:

1. NewRelic (even the free version) is very helpful - extremely helpful

2. Boundary is useful but get ready for the shark-like upsells. We did use it for a few months but after being driven crazy for 2 months by an aggressive sales person, we dumped it. But from a technical perspective good.

3. Datadog is good for collecting metrics off systems like Mongo, Varnish, Couch, Elasticsearch

4. 10Gen's MMS is good for Mongo monitoring

5. Wormly for uptime monitoring and their health checking isn't too bad either. (This is my preferred uptime monitoring tool) and their support is mega!

6. Pingdom - I find it unusable, too many false alerts. We had about 200-250 endpoints being monitored and it was forever spamming us with alerts which none of our other monitoring picked up

7. Verelo - Now owned by Dyn, good for a free uptime monitor (use for backup purposes only though)

8. PagerDuty - the centre of our alert monitoring. This allows us to despatch alerts to the people who are on duty only. Also allows various escalation rules, etc

9. Loggly - l love this system. All our syslog data in one place. We generate about 170GB of syslog data per day and they never drop a line.

10. Zenoss for internal monitoring, lots of zenpacks to support wide range of hardware

11. HP Openview (don't laugh - we still have provisioning systems that use this thing) - if you can find an alternative then do so. Its awful.

I can't think of anything else to hand, but will add as I see things during the day.

Thanked by 2geekalot Frecyboy
  • I have been happily using www.monitive.com

Great service !

• bdtechbdtech Member

Webmin (local status module), ossec, uptime robot, nodequery, and longview (if linode)

• webmin super friendly super reliable , limited tho
    Observium very promising we are migrating from cacti to Observium
    Munin if you are having issues to track