Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Seriously, think before you ask, "can i use your VPS hosting for....." [sort of rant] - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Seriously, think before you ask, "can i use your VPS hosting for....." [sort of rant]

2»

Comments

• alexh said: I'm not arguing law with you. You can continue to Google laws, but it's not relevant here.

I googled no laws. I live in the UK and those are pretty standard laws worldwide.

alexh said: My point was that if an individual comes from a country where there are no copyright laws, how do you expect them to know these practices are illegal?

Why is it someones responsibility to teach you the law outside their ToS - here at LEB for under $7/m. Any kind of support eats into those profit margins. Plus let's not pretend that people aren't aware of international copyright law.

alexh said: My other point was that some hosts allow, and even promote activity like this. It's not OK by any means, but some people simply aren't involved/invested in the industry, and don't have the technical/communication skills to truly understand the complicated details behind these issues.

It's not a providers job to do research for you. If it's a grey area then go ahead and ask but a few mins of google will tell you the law. I also don't think that you should try and make all hosts responsible for the lowest common denominator. Surely if they know about these torrent friendly hosts then they'd know that torrenting TV shows, movies and music is illegal in the US and such? More providers than not are not happy about that kind of stuff.

alexh said: It seems that many users argue, as opposed to debate. I apologize if you saw my posts as argument; I'm here to share thoughts, but more importantly learn.

Me too. Nobody was implying that people who use torrents were criminals, rather if you will leverage them to break the law do it on your own connection or with a provider geared towards that kinda' stuff.

• @Nekki said:

The real troublemakers won't ask, so no.

@alexh said:

There's this magical thing called INTERNATIONAL copyright law. The only countries it doesn't work in, are the countries that won't expedite you. [ China, Russia... sometimes, Viet Nam [... we don't accept customers from here anymore. ], Indonesia, Romania, Turkey, and a few others. ]

• What I understood was: he doesn't care if you host illegal things or not, just don't tell him and he will be happy to have you as a client until you get reported and he has to shut you off.

• @luissousa said:
    What I understood was: he doesn't care if you host illegal things or not, just don't tell him and he will be happy to have you as a client until you get reported and he has to shut you off.

That's how all LowEnd hosts operate. [ And no, hosts, don't play dumb. ] Due to privacy laws in Canada, I literally can't know what's going on in your instance unless you tell me. ** So don't tell me. **

• @GoodHosting said:

I know, and although it may look I am criticising, I'm not. If I owned a LowEnd Host I would act the same way.

• GoodHosting said: Due to privacy laws in Canada, I literally can't know what's going on in your instance unless you tell me. ** So don't tell me. **

Never mind in the EU (and specifically UK where we have even tighter data protection/retention laws) where Inception is.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

TL;DR summary: providers wish people read TOS

• alexhalexh Member

GoodHosting said: That's how all LowEnd hosts operate. [ And no, hosts, don't play dumb. ] Due to privacy laws in Canada, I literally can't know what's going on in your instance unless you tell me. ** So don't tell me. **

Being Canadian myself, I think our laws regarding online businesses and personal data are very strict in a positive way. For example, Canadian corporations are required to be transparent with regards to corporate policy. Also, customers must be able to request their personal information be removed from records.

GoodHosting said: There's this magical thing called INTERNATIONAL copyright law. The only countries it doesn't work in, are the countries that won't expedite you. [ China, Russia... sometimes, Viet Nam [... we don't accept customers from here anymore. ], Indonesia, Romania, Turkey, and a few others. ]

Valid point; I wasn't aware that copyright law was black-and-white internationally, even going from North America to Europe. A few years ago, from what I remember, most seedboxes were hosted on resold OVH and LeaseWeb boxes in Europe. I guess this was also before PRQ was raided. Things change very quickly it seems.

AThomasHowe said: Why is it someones responsibility to teach you the law outside their ToS - here at LEB for under $7/m. Any kind of support eats into those profit margins. Plus let's not pretend that people aren't aware of international copyright law.

That's true, but I do feel that some of the hosts here provide outstanding support for the amount we pay; Many hosts don't receive the credit they deserve. Aside from law, from what I've seen, most hosts list what you can/can't host in their ToS. I do think customers should read through the respective host's ToS before purchasing, and abide by them; Chances are, if you feel they're unacceptable, there's another host that can meet your needs.

I do understand OP, but if someone asks if they can use your service for illicit purpose, then you would clearly tell them no. Wouldn't this act in favor of the host? It'd seemingly provide both proof of the host's good intentions, and probable cause/evidence if further issues arose from the client's use of services.

• People still do a lot of torrenting in OVH and to a degree still leaseweb. A few resellers did back away from France though during the whole Hadopi thing. You don't ticket into OVH and ask if your clients can download from The Pirate Bay though.

And a lot of hosts do provide greats up port that's true, they can continue to do so and even provide better support in future for the same resources if they don't have to answer inane questions though (ones in OP, not your questions).

As to your other @me point, yeah, that is beneficial. Similar amount of deniability though to not knowing at all.

• iSkyiSky Member

never expected that you become the OP :D
    FYI, if the DC is onshore, which i mean is US. I will not ask them, it will absolutely NO. But your DC is somewhere at EU. So like @spirit said before, thats why Pre-sales job to answer something like this. As for torrenting, the question is no. If you need leech torrent file, why dont get seedbox where they 99% ignore DMCA right ? But this is script. Why someone ask it because not about they afraid against DMCA at first stance, but the provider that afraid the Nulled script contain some virus or backdoor that maybe can harm the server or other customer DATA. IMHO, no offense about that. We have a positive review for your hosting reputation, thats why they ask before act.

• nerouxneroux Member

GoodHosting said: There's this magical thing called INTERNATIONAL copyright law.

And this is where to be found?

No, seriously, there is no such thing. The closest it gets is the Berne Convention from 1886.

For example, in many countries it is perfectly legal to download copyrighted material. Just a few days ago the European Court of Justice semi-legalised streaming copyrighted content.

So no, there is no such thing as any international "law".

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

Just one note: asking about linking to warez specifically is not so silly sometimes.

Warez linking is allowed on some places in the EU like Spain and many legit hosts will allow it. The biggest "pirate" website here was hosted at Comvive, a legit, well known ISP in Spain.

Downloading copyrighted torrents for personal usage isn't illegal either for now (kinda).

A different matter is paying $7/month and assuming your ISP will eat DMCA notices weekly for you, yeah.

Thanked by 1hostnoob
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

@Nyr I did not know that. puts an interesting flip on the discussion and admittedly weakens part of my point.