Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for yearly pricing on a VPS in Canada - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for yearly pricing on a VPS in Canada

2»

Comments

• alexhalexh Member

@MCHPhil said:
    I have a great rapport with OVH. I just double checked their Terms of Service and it says nothing concerning tor or proxies. If you can point me to documentation stating otherwise I would be grateful.

I'm curious about this -- I assume you've read the ToS thoroughly, but the terms of dedicated server rental include this:

For security reasons, OVH can proceed with the immediate suspension (without notice) of any server on which would be offered paid or free public proxies, such as IRC, VPN, TOR for which OVH have knowledge of misuse, fraudulent or unlawful use.

From this page, §7.5.

Obviously, no intentional misuse/unlawful use is going on. Many peers, from what I understand, connect to Tor exit nodes though; How would you detect any abuse, and stop it before issues occur?

• MCHPhilMCHPhil Member
    edited June 2014

@alexh said:
    Obviously, no intentional misuse/unlawful use is going on. Many peers, from what I understand, connect to Tor exit nodes though; How would you detect any abuse, and stop it before issues occur?

The difference here is night and day I think. I'm not renting the $4.99 dedicated server special and abusing the heck out of the network. I rent in the $x,xxx.xx magnitude. I have spoken to great lengths with OVH about what they consider blatant abuse and a small tor exit node that is not abused is not a problem. I just provide the infrastructure on top of OVH infrastructure, it's up to the customer to make sure what they are running isn't abused or etc.

I am also very forthcoming with OVH. They know my business. They know why I use their service. I would almost suspect a lot of the immediate terminations were done due to not having automatic ways to suspend people, previously. I know a lot is done automatically with OVH. If you impact their network negatively they will cry, as they should, as would I or anyone else. Add in the human intervention factor of manually having to terminate those clients (just making stuff up here, sounds logical to me though). You get OVH terminating people with no notice.

I actually did a quick search on the PDF and didn't get any hits on proxy or tor. Looks like their PDF cannot be searched. Thank you. I will bring this up to my contact but I can't guarantee the verdict is going to be the same with all clients for the reasons I've outlined above.

Edit: Reading the wording again, it may even be a in case sh*t happens clause. CYA ETC

I hope this didn't come out the wrong way :D I am eating onion rings. Once again smiles left and right :D

Thanked by 10xdragon
  • NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited June 2014

MCHPhil said: a small tor exit node that is not abused is not a problem

Tor exit nodes are actively abused. I know since I operate some of them. Anyway, no one better than you to know how your relationship with OVH is :)

• It's not hit any of my monitors. Looking fine to me, in the example I give above. I would not allow one VM to saturate the network or etc. This may be the big thing.

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited June 2014

The big thing is when they find someone using your exit node to access things which are illegal like CP and the like. This can get your whole node seized without any notice by government agencies if they feel like it. It actually can put anyone on the same node as that exit in a bad situation if this was to occur. If you are going to offer services which could end up with your server being taken away without notice, I sure hope you are backing up the node and have some type of recovery plan for if shit hits the fan.

As I recall, someone else in this community was running exits and had this exact thing happen to them. Without notice they came and seized the hardware.

Cheers!

• tr1ckytr1cky Member

@project10 said:
    tr1cky what exit policy are you running on that exit node @ MCH? Just curious

It's only serving torrent traffic.

• See, like bittorrent, TOR has many uses. If used responsibly there is no problem.

TY @tr1cky

• alexhalexh Member

@MCHPhil said:
    I hope this didn't come out the wrong way :D I am eating onion rings. Once again smiles left and right :D

I apologize for offending you; You seem upset, but my intention was to bring OVH's actual terms to your attention. Regardless of your relationship with them, do you not feel it would be good to familiarize yourself with these terms? You just stated, "there's nothing about TOR or proxies."

Here's a relatively recent post (July 29, 2013) on OVH's forum:

1- Since the introduction of anti-DDoS protection, we allow the hosting of camfrog servers on our network. We have the infrastructure to cope with these attacks whatever their sizes, types or durations. In contrast for the last few months we have had several legal matters related to the use of multiple TOR networks for paedophilia and we are now banning it as well as all anonymity systems. This increases fraudulent use of our network and number of legal requisition each month.

Source

• @Nekki Please close the thread.

• @alexh said:
    Source

Honestly take a step back and reread what I said with out emotion attached. I've said specifically that I'm not offended lol.

• alexhalexh Member
    edited June 2014

MCHPhil said: Honestly take a step back and reread what I said with out emotion attached. I've said specifically that I'm not offended lol.

Once again, I apologize if I've offended you. I read your post thoroughly, but you chose to address issues that were outside of the scope of our discussion.

Personal issues aside, my intention was to bring the updated terms to your attention. Based on your previous posts, you had no knowledge of these terms prior to now. My previous post contained no emotion, but rather, a legitimate source of information.

One of your posts asked another user to post proof of these terms, and I did. I won't be partaking in this discussion anymore.

• vpsHuntervpsHunter Member
    edited June 2014

I find @zionvps is quite good. He offers custom plans with good pricing and based on Montreal.

• MCHPhilMCHPhil Member
    edited June 2014

@alexh said:
    One of your posts asked another user to post proof of these terms, and I did. I won't be partaking in this discussion anymore.

Lol once again, I am not offended, nor was I ever. I don't think you are reading what I wrote fully. Have a nice day.

TOR like Bittorrent can be used for a LOT of things. It is a protocol, that does not mean you have to operate an open proxy or etc. Which would be explicitly against my TOS and/or AUP. This is where the confusion comes into play, the world is not black and white like being portrayed in this post.