Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

XenPower (Prometeus) has some nice new offers... - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

XenPower (Prometeus) has some nice new offers...

Comments

• instatechinstatech Member
    edited May 2014

First vpsdime and now xenpower.What can i say LET is becoming more and more awesome day by day.Good work by @Maounique.But the billing cycle is Quarterly and Annually not monthly :( i will have to pass vpsdime is good for me.

• RurikoRuriko Member

hmm no coupon this time? :o

• smile93smile93 Member
    edited May 2014

@Ruriko said:
    hmm no coupon this time? :o

No coupon, but they limited the total number of orders.

XP-L (99 Available)
    XP-XL (40 Available) <-- few hours ago, this was 60....
    XP-XXL (24 Available)

I think there will gone within days.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited May 2014

The coupon thing was found to be too cumbersome for some customers so we decided to include it in the price. After the stock is gone, the full price similar to the other XP plans will be in place. They are on sale now, and the limit is the number of slots available, they do sell already well, after the LEB post will be done, they will probably be gone in days as last time for some. The SSD version and those in US sold slower, but the ones in Milano without ssd were gone in 2-3 days after LEB listing.

• J1021J1021 Member

Mark_R said: Torrent clients are not resource hungry.. and if they were then it is only for the amount of time it takes to download a torrent. after the download is finished it will be idling and caching the most requested data pieces in the RAM memory to reduce IO access.

Those clients improve everyday to minimize the resource usage and at this point they already barely use any resources. Deluge is a great example of that.

Torrent clients can be resource heavy. If you have 500GB of torrents downloaded and 2GB of RAM then obviously a large proportion of that seeding is going to be reading from the disk as the RAM won't be big enough to accommodate a lot of cached files.

• BluBoyBluBoy Member

I am eyeing off the XP-XL, just wondering how people think this compares to the Kimsufi KS-1 dedicated.

Obviously processing is different, but also wondering if I can or can't do anything on this compared to that (eg KVM virtualisation, remote console etc).

• Mark_RMark_R Member

@1e10 said:
    Torrent clients can be resource heavy. If you have 500GB of torrents downloaded and 2GB of RAM then obviously a large proportion of that seeding is going to be reading from the disk as the RAM won't be big enough to accommodate a lot of cached files.

Wrong. but i'm not going to comment any further on this thread. @Amitz stated that he doesn't want the thread to go offtopic.

• J1021J1021 Member

Mark_R said: Wrong. but i'm not going to comment any further on this thread. @Amitz stated that he doesn't want the thread to go offtopic.

Feel free to PM me.

• kyakykyaky Member
    edited May 2014

nice plans, will give it a try.

• jhjh Member

Really nice website and nice plans too. Shame I don't need one.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • mmmh, finally I cannot prevent myself from purchasing a box... Poor me :-(

• fitvpnfitvpn Member
    edited May 2014

@Amitz > said: That's quite sexy - What? Good jerk off? Some new kind of sexual orientation after zoofily :)

edited May 2014

BluBoy said: I am eyeing off the XP-XL, just wondering how people think this compares to the Kimsufi KS-1 dedicated.

Obviously processing is different, but also wondering if I can or can't do anything on this compared to that (eg KVM virtualisation, remote console etc).

This is Xen-PV. Compared with KS-1 has more cpu, less disk (but faster and raid 6 protected) and limited traffic (on 1 gbps port, though). However, you can get /64 IPv6 for free and extra IPv4 (12 Eur a year) if you need. It lacks the setup fee and it is going for a minimum of 3 months (to prevent abuse since the price is lower the our previous XP line even discounted). You cannot install windows on it, as you cannot mount ISOs and windows kernel is incompatible with Xen-PV. Also BSD is not supported.
    It does not have DDoS protection, either and we are blackholing the IPs for long time if they receive attacks.

If you need unlimited traffic and you dont mind the port speed, DDoS protection and windows/bsd, go with KS. If you need more CPU, faster and safer port speed and disk, Italy location, better support, free ftp'n'web storage, free anycast DNS hosting, no setup fee, join the Prometeus customer base :)

Thanked by 1netomx
  • fitvpnfitvpn Member

Probably mr Romania got payday as a political reviewer on LET ;)

• AmitzAmitz Member

@fitvpn said:
    Amitz > said: That's quite sexy - What? Good jerk off? Some new kind of sexual orientation after zoofily :)

Yes. Jerking off to animals became boring.

@fitvpn said:
    Probably mr Romania got payday as a political reviewer on LET ;)

Huh? Wrong thread?

Thanked by 1netomx
  • jcalebjcaleb Member

Got mine! great offer, no need to think twice

Thanked by 2Maounique netomx
  • jvnadrjvnadr Member

@Maounique Is it possible for custom offer? The second plan with less traffic (e.g. 1GB) and access to 3 vcpu's?

edited May 2014

In theory, yes, however, we do not do custom plans on budget brands (xenpower/overzold). It is a pain to maintain, as humans we do a lot of errors, I try to forget some :(

Thanked by 1netomx
  • netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@Maounique said:
    In theory, yes, however, we do not do custom plans on budget brands (xenpower/overzold). It is a pain to maintain, as humans we do a lot of errors, I try to forget some :(

Talking of human errors, my local Walmart had a "promotion" or a "sale": a 14" core i3 laptop, touchscreen, for $260 dollars, included tax. It was an obvious mistake.

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • AmitzAmitz Member

Got my XP-XL plan yesterday and love it already. :)

• jcalebjcaleb Member

@Maounique I have been trying to read about raid6 vs. raid 10. But I couldn't understand much, maybe because of lack of experience. What is disadvantage of raid6 over raid 10? Is it just slower writes and slower recovery when a disk failed?

• VirtovoVirtovo Member
    edited May 2014

@jcaleb said:
    Maounique I have been trying to read about raid6 vs. raid 10. But I couldn't understand much, maybe because of lack of experience. What is disadvantage of raid6 over raid 10? Is it just slower writes and slower recovery when a disk failed?

Slower writes is the major disadvantage. Raid 6 requires 50% more writes than even raid 5. Rebuild is slower as you mentioned. There's also a higher chance of complete data loss from the array with > 4 disks compared to Raid 10.

Typically you want to Deploy Raid 6 in an environment which requires few writes; however is read heavy.

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • jvnadrjvnadr Member

@netomx Do they post the offer? I would love to buy an i3 touchscreen for this amount! :-P

• jvnadrjvnadr Member

Virtovo said: Slower writes is the major disadvantage

So, this impacts I/O performance on the server or is this irrelevant?

edited May 2014

Actually, since this is 12 disks, the difference is not that big in speed overall since it has a lot of read iops. Also there is the cache, but, if you want fastest disk and more cpu, go with the s line with ssd (if there is stock), this line is for moderate disk/cpu usage but a lot of disk space.

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • jvnadrjvnadr Member

I already bought one and it is fair enough. The iops aren't bad either.

Thanked by 1lelewku
  • wojonswojons Member

what sort of io are people getting on something like this. geting a set of these and networking them would be chepaer then my backup server.

• I have to say the IO is really good (> 500 Mb/s) on the storage node. I have both Kimsufi and Xen Power and so far the Xen Power storage node is better IMHO.

• jcalebjcaleb Member

These are not storage only VPS right? We can use for other purpose provided it's non abusive and legal?