Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Telia transatlantic cable outage - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Telia transatlantic cable outage

2»

Comments

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited May 2014

kerouac said: Did this affect Turkey as well?

I saw a period of very high ping and packet loss on Telia link from Singapore to Europe, maybe they overloaded their Middle Eastern cable by trying to shift routes off from the trans-atlantic one.

• gsrdgrdghdgsrdgrdghd Member
    edited May 2014

rm_ said: maybe they overloaded their Middle Eastern cable by trying to shift routes off from the trans-atlantic one.

-

Cloudflare became aware of a problem when European traffic stopped going to the US via the transatlantic cable and instead "started taking a very circuitous route through Hong Kong," he explained.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/05/19/eu_cable_outage/

That sounds like something that would overload the eastern routes

• IshaqIshaq Member

@mpkossen said:
    Is that from CloudFlare?

Nope, Hacker News.

• Ishaq said: Nope, Hacker News.

Yeah reposted from Cloudflare ;P

I found this tho

Cloudflare's chief executive, Matthew Prince, was kind enough to return our call. "It now appears more likely that [Telia] misrouted traffic through to North America," he explained. "The most likely reason would be some kind of routing misalignment."

Cloudflare became aware of a problem when European traffic stopped going to the US via the transatlantic cable and instead "started taking a very circuitous route through Hong Kong," he explained. The problem was fixed by Cloudflare relatively quickly, and he believes Telia dealt with it within an hour or so.

"Whenever one of the big tier one ISPs has an issue it sort of shows the fragility of the internet. I think this was most likely human error," he said.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/05/19/eu_cable_outage/

• publiopublio Member

"Fragility of the internet"? More like fragility of providers unwilling to invest in multiple tier 1 links.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

@publio said:
    "Fragility of the internet"? More like fragility of providers unwilling to invest in multiple tier 1 links.

He's most likely talking about the fragility of BGP.

Thanked by 1Infinity
  • publiopublio Member

@Nyr said:
    He's most likely talking about the fragility of BGP.

Would you care to expand that thought?

I've been under the impression that eBGP would keep semi-permanent TCP connections between routers and use it as a heartbeat as well as to advertise routes. Since traffic rerouting took many minutes instead of a few seconds, it leads me to believe that it was done manually as the backup links are nowhere near as good.

• crdnlcrdnl Member

So either someone is going on a shark hunt or is getting yelled at in the Telia office?

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

crdnl said: is getting yelled at in the Telia office

This looks increasingly more likely. DO sharks cant be blamed for everything...

• crdnlcrdnl Member

Maounique said: This looks increasingly more likely. DO sharks cant be blamed for everything...

I still see DO being more of a dolphin company...