Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MaxMind has deemed your order to be potentially high risk and therefore it has been held for manual - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

MaxMind has deemed your order to be potentially high risk and therefore it has been held for manual

2»

Comments

• Maounique said: I am not sure where they collect their data, and i don't really care, however, whoever is defrauding via payment, is very likely to abuse the service too, since it is a free discardable one in their view.

Well it matters because if someone is paying via a payment method where chargebacks are not possible then your argument is abuse. When I ask you whether maxmind collects abuse stats you say you don't care because payment fraud = abuse. But payment fraud is not possible so how did you come to that conclusion that there will be abuse?

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • awsonawson Member

Whenever I see this I move onto the next provider. I'm not going through the hassle of submitting a ticket (to have them ask me for photo ID; fuck off) for something that isn't my fault.

Thanked by 1AchrafPro
  • wychwych Member
    edited May 2014

@awson said:
    Whenever I see this I move onto the next provider. I'm not going through the hassle of submitting a ticket (to have them ask me for photo ID; fuck off) for something that isn't my fault.

Ever struggle finding new hosts?

• MrXMrX Member

Maounique said: Maybe payments cant be charged back, however, nobody is happy to be visited by police. Payment frauds are one thing, fake shops, spammers, scanners, DDoSers, so on and so forth, are quite another. Nobody cares much over here for 1-2 Eur, but we do care for abuse.

I'd be very interested if you could tell me how MaxMind can tell the future and detect a newly signed-up customer, whose order looks OK, as someone running a fake shop.

• rds100rds100 Member

Someone running a fake shop is likely to try to hide his identity by supplying falsified information, ordering through proxy / VPN, etc. MaxMind usually catches these.

• And... this is the only reason I love AT&T. They assign a static-to-the-router type of IP, so unless you change your modem, the IP won't change, due to some reserved-DHCP. Been with AT&T for awhile, and that IP has not been changed once. So I don't have to share an IP with others, it's all mine.

• thsigitthsigit Member

@Abdussamad said:
    It also scores you on how closely your postal address matches your IP address. The thing is this can't always be ascertained from your IP. For example my ISP shares IPs among its users from two major cities here so while I am in one city my IP tells you I'm in another. City level geoip doesn't always work.

I'd like to add, that several sites with geolocation identification enabled occasionally thinks I was on other cities, 40-60 km away from here. That was probably the reason.

Because of this geolocation issue, I searched and found this site http://www.where-am-i.net/ and also this neat script http://www.w3schools.com/html/html5_geolocation.asp. Here my location is displayed correctly.

Later I logged on to myvpn to connect from Australia, try a little search on google.com, it thinks I am in Australia ... Google even sent me a warning about suspicious login, therefore my account is temporarily blocked (my gmail opens in Thunderbird, otherwise I would not be able to open the message).

Tuesday, May 20, 2014 10:55:06 AM UTC

IP Address: 103.25.58.96

But strangely enough. The two sites using html5 geolocation script above, they display my location correctly. Even after the browser's cache is cleared (Ctrl+F5).

I'd say that html5 geolocation works correctly while other methods probably aren't.

• I am also using MaxMind. My many orders get stopped because of it.

• MrXMrX Member

rds100 said: Someone running a fake shop is likely to try to hide his identity by supplying falsified information, ordering through proxy / VPN, etc. MaxMind usually catches these.

Right, but a fraudster that can beat MaxMind (piece of cake) will sail right through and set up his fake shop.

• rds100rds100 Member

@MrX only a smart fraudster wannabe. You know the majority aren't very smart.

• alexhalexh Member

@wych said:
    Ever struggle finding new hosts?

No. I've tried a number of providers; The only ones that asked for photo ID are OVH and Versaweb. Due to their Canadian presence, I felt comfortable sending the requested ID to OVH.

Rackspace and GoGrid both contacted me via phone upon registry, and required phone number verification. This sort of verification, along with other types where appropriate, seems superior to me. It's much nicer to receive a call and talk with someone as opposed to a typical e-mail.

Using real information remains essential. If you'd like to possibly establish a business relationship with a hosting company, why start off by lying about minute details? Most necessary information in WHMCS is the same as what's in WHOIS records.

Using PayPal, I've never been flagged by MaxMind. If your PayPal information doesn't match what you've entered when registering in WHMCS, it will flag your order. I'm sure that even if one value doesn't match, it will flag the order.

• MrXMrX Member

rds100 said: You know the majority aren't very smart.

Definitely, which is where a barebones tool like MaxMind does a good job. I'm not saying MaxMind can't be a useful piece in risk management matrix.

My concern was Maounique's statement that MaxMind can predict the future and tell a legitimate-looking order from a legitimate-looking order with malicious intent.

Thanked by 1thsigit