Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MaxMind has deemed your order to be potentially high risk and therefore it has been held for manual
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

MaxMind has deemed your order to be potentially high risk and therefore it has been held for manual

Tried to order most recent offers from two different companies here on LET. Before proceeding to payment my screen spits this message:

Why. Okay. My country was on one of those high risk list. But I guess that was years ago and honestly I have never had a problem like this. Or probably my dynamic IP makes this problem occur. You know, probably someone had messed up with the world using the same IP that I am assigned right now (Disclaimer: I don't flood the world with internet garbage nor try to breach someone's privacy using the nete --I hate to mess up the world's internet because I don't like to be one of their victims either)

So I submit a ticket.This always work. Then I wait. More than 24 hours. Nothing appears on my mailbox. Logged in, nothing in there. You are probably busy. Yours are the hot topic here atm and you'd better resolving hardware/software/networking issues. I am okay with that.

Reading other offers. Tempted to buy other offers from different providers. But what about the other two I had ordered the day before? I will be disappointed myself if MaxMind had cancelled legitimate orders and when I finally track down the ticket issue/issue ticket (? To much coffee makes me confused which is the right order, but I know you figured it out) my client says that they're already put another order on another provider so they don't need your services any more. No swell, it is just a small order and you've probably given that offer for charity --no or tiny profit out of it (even if that is your business model). But what about the rest of the world, what about bigger order? So I kept on wait . . . ing.

Fortunately for me I know that my internet connection using Google's DNS. So I go to 192.168.1.1 (I am on TP-Link TD-8151 modem), go to one of its config pages, delete 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 from Primary/Secondary DNS server setting and choose Use Auto DIscovered DNS Server. Then I go to order pages of the two companies, order the same package again, and .. voila! Now I've got that lovely message:

Please wait while you are redirected to the gateway you chose to make payment...

No more MaxMind error (or should I say, MaxDown error).

Lesson learned for buyers, do not use Google DNS when creating orders from some providers.

For vendors, check your WHMCS MaxMind settings to avoid losting potentially poor customers from using your service(s). After all, it is MaxMind error. They should have put this message instead: "My error, not your client's. You've been warned".

Regards,

Sigit

Comments

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

I don't see in any way how the DNS you use would matter to maxmind or how they would even tell for that matter

Thanked by 1netomx
  • What? You sure the issue is on DNS side?

That WILL be a good lesson to learn.

• kendidkendid Veteran

Weird changing that would do anything to help you get past maxmind.... Maybe you got a different IP address when your router reset?

• thsigitthsigit Member
    edited May 2014

@Fliphost said:
    I don't see in any way how the DNS you use would matter to maxmind or how they would even tell for that matter

Me neither. But it happened in my case, to two different providers (actually three, another one had checked on their tickets and manually approve me). Probably this will help you sort this out http://docs.whmcs.com/MaxMind

ps: I don't read it because I plan to stop using WHMCS.

@nullnull said:
    What? You sure the issue is on DNS side?

That WILL be a good lesson to learn.

I am sure it is. I stop using it and my orders are instantly (automatically) approved.

@kendid said:
    Weird changing that would do anything to help you get past maxmind.... Maybe you got a different IP address when your router reset?

I do not reset my IP, but simply change it's DNS server setting.

• thsigitthsigit Member
    edited May 2014

merged with above

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

thsigit said: I do not reset my IP, but simply change it's DNS server setting.

I have seen many routers that just LOVE going down for reboot after even the smallest changes.

Thanked by 2alexvolk netomx
  • swainswain Member

I'm confused how your dns servers would effect this? Can someone explain?

• Just like dnsleaktest to detect your location?

• MrXMrX Member

swain said: I'm confused how your dns servers would effect this? Can someone explain?

Changing DNS itself wouldn't do anything. OP probably changed something else, the host changed its scoring parameters in Max Mind, or something changed unbeknown to OP.

• MrX said: Changing DNS itself wouldn't do anything. OP probably changed something else, the host changed its scoring parameters in Max Mind, or something changed unbeknown to OP.

Agreed, It had to of been something else, changing DNS servers probably didn't do anything since your computer/browser probably already cached the providers address and didn't hit the new DNS server.

• blackeyeblackeye Veteran

do you from indonesia ? I think I know ip 192.168.1.1 :V

• HC_RoHC_Ro Member

Something else changed besides your DNS because that was not the reason for it going through.

• thsigitthsigit Member

I can't say anything either.

Probably I was just venting out my upset feeling (towards WHMCS), probably something was cached beyond notice, within one of my machine's browser since I switched occasionally from linux/windows vice versa, or probably something else that you all have proposed to troubleshoot the problem. There were a few things to consider, though, that I have been using Google DNS for years and never have problem with orders through WHMCS, before, with Indonesian/Singapore providers; that this had happened recently to three providers from UK and US, but automagically resolved when I use my ISP's DNS server.

I am back using Google DNS, and next time when I have the same problem on another provider with the same solution, I will tell.

@blackeye: check your wall bro

• wychwych Member

@thsigit said:
    I can't say anything either.

Probably I was just venting out my upset feeling (towards WHMCS), probably something was cached beyond notice, within one of my machine's browser since I switched occasionally from linux/windows vice versa, or probably something else that you all have proposed to troubleshoot the problem. There were a few things to consider, though, that I have been using Google DNS for years and never have problem with orders through WHMCS, before, with Indonesian/Singapore providers; that this had happened recently to three providers from UK and US, but automagically resolved when I use my ISP's DNS server.

I am back using Google DNS, and next time when I have the same problem on another provider with the same solution, I will tell.

blackeye: check your wall bro

I think DNS reset caused a new IP that had correct or higher quality GeoLocation that caused your order not to be flagged this time (could be wrong though).

Thanked by 1thsigit
  • trexostrexos Member

@blackeye said:
    do you from indonesia ? I think I know ip 192.168.1.1 :V

I'm sure you are joking?:D

• I face the same problem everytime i try to make order, im from Morocco and my country listed as high risk in maxmind script
    I feel all my informations correct in the billing area and if the hosting company use maxmind plugin in the whmcs i get the above error
    i got it when i try to make order with vmbox.co and iniz, in my opinion the maxmind script will make the hosting companies lose more than win ;)
    Im sorry about my poor english :p

Thanked by 1thsigit
  • wychwych Member
    edited May 2014

@AchrafPro said:
    i got it when i try to make order with vmbox.co and iniz, in my opinion the maxmind script will make the hosting companies lose more than win ;)

>

I guess you have never had to deal with Chargebacks; you do realise most companies if you raise a ticket explaining it is a false flag then they will allow you to order.

• Yes i do that and every time they ask me for my photo id, for me its bad to share my photo id with anyone coz its my privacy, im now with vultr they not use whmcs and this is good for me :)

Thanked by 1geekalot
  • wychwych Member

@AchrafPro said:
    Yes i do that and every time they ask me for my photo id

Thats up to the hosts own internal policies not due to WHMCS/MaxMind requiring it...

• I get this all the time when using the internet over my normal VPN, ticket to the provider explaining my situation normally fixes everything!

Thanked by 1thsigit
  • alexhalexh Member

@wych said:
    Thats up to the hosts own internal policies not due to WHMCS/MaxMind requiring it...

This.

The only issue I've had was Versaweb once asked me to either fax or scan/e-mail a copy of this form along with a photocopy of photo ID and the credit card. Needless to say, I never became a client of theirs; I don't feel comfortable sending sensitive information over e-mail or fax.

Thanked by 1geekalot
  • smansman Member
    edited May 2014

There are a few different things Maxmind scores you on last time I checked. If your IP does not match your country that's a big one. Also if you are using hotmail, gmail, yahoo email account. If you are using a proxy etc. etc.

I doubt it has anything to do with using Google for DNS.

• roykemroykem Member

I have 2 active service with this company, and when I order the third Max got me :dooh
    So I raised ticket and they set it to pending, I complete my payment, service active.

Next month I want to order again, and guess what? Ur right, Max got me AGAIN!!

So it very dissapointed for me since that system more like to hold than to secure..
    Pfft...!

Thanked by 1AchrafPro

Maxmind has pros and cons, it is way better to use it than not.
    One of the MOST important things in this industry is to keep frauds away. They cost your business more than 10 legit customers bring, therefore, if you can weed out 1 fraud at the expense of 10 legit customers blocked, it is still ok.
    This is why we favour old proven customers over new unproven ones, this is why we take maxmind seriously and check any order manually, whether flagged or not. This is not 100% sure, police regularly checks on Uncle, Italian as well as international.
    However, we never ask for an ID or something, first because those can be easily faked, second, because it is a risk too high, if there was an identity theft, we dont want to deal with the investigation too. It is also funny that many clear frauds offer it on their own, so this proves how easy it is to do it.

• I would rather potentially lose a client, then allow a $2 order through; and have it charged back 180 days later with a $15 chargeback handling fee, the $2, the accruation of fees or interest on conversion [ if any ] .... etc.

• Maxmind is a perennial pain in the butt. Anyone outside the "west" i.e. US, europe, japan, australia and nz is considered high risk. It's especially odd that LEB hosts use this software. You are selling cheap hosting. Have you considered the possibility that it might attract a large number of customers from developing countries? Another thing, some of you guys offer payment methods that can't be charge backed. You should ease up on customers that pay via those payment methods.

Abdussamad said: Anyone outside the "west" i.e. US, europe, japan, australia and nz is considered high risk. It's especially odd that LEB hosts use this software. You are selling cheap hosting. Have you considered the possibility that it might attract a large number of customers from developing countries? Another thing, some of you guys offer payment methods that can't be charge backed. You should ease up on customers that pay via those payment methods.

A few issues:

1. Not all EU is low risk.
    2. Not everyone outside those countries/areas is considered high risk. Actually, only a few countries are high risk. Among them vietnam which is not very poor.
    3. Most developing countries are ok.
    4. Maybe payments cant be charged back, however, nobody is happy to be visited by police. Payment frauds are one thing, fake shops, spammers, scanners, DDoSers, so on and so forth, are quite another. Nobody cares much over here for 1-2 Eur, but we do care for abuse.
  • AbdussamadAbdussamad Member
    edited May 2014

Maybe payments cant be charged back, however, nobody is happy to be visited by police. Payment frauds are one thing, fake shops, spammers, scanners, DDoSers, so on and so forth, are quite another. Nobody cares much over here for 1-2 Eur, but we do care for abuse.

Maxmind collects statistics for these as well? I wonder where they get that data. Do hosts report somewhere that x customer from y country abused my server is such and such a way?

Abdussamad said: Maxmind collects statistics for these as well?

I am not sure where they collect their data, and i don't really care, however, whoever is defrauding via payment, is very likely to abuse the service too, since it is a free discardable one in their view.

• AbdussamadAbdussamad Member
    edited May 2014

sman said:

There are a few different things Maxmind scores you on last time I checked. If your IP does not match your country that's a big one. Also if you are using hotmail, gmail, yahoo email account. If you are using a proxy etc. etc.

It also scores you on how closely your postal address matches your IP address. The thing is this can't always be ascertained from your IP. For example my ISP shares IPs among its users from two major cities here so while I am in one city my IP tells you I'm in another. City level geoip doesn't always work.

Thanked by 1thsigit