Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CentOS - TightVNC without SSH tunnel?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

CentOS - TightVNC without SSH tunnel?

plumbergplumberg Veteran

I have a local computer running centos 6.5 with the Gnome desktop. I installed tightvncserver. I can connect to the desktop only via doing an SSH tunnel (following http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/VNC-Server). Is there any way to see the remote server screen without SSH tunnel... directly from tightvnc viewer?

Comments

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Open the port in your router?

• VNC Ports start from TCP port 5900 onwards. ie: VNC Display 0 is TCP port 5900. VNC Display 2 is TCP port 5902, etc.

Ensure you can get to those ports on your server from your VNC client IP address.

• plumbergplumberg Veteran

I dont have any blocks on my router. I can connect via the tunnel. I will try adding an explicit rule to allow VNC ports as allow and see.

@netomx said:
    Open the port in your router?

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@plumberg said:
    I dont have any blocks on my router. I can connect via the tunnel. I will try adding an explicit rule to allow VNC ports as allow and see.

Does your home computer connects directly to the internet?

• Do not use "-localhost -nolisten tcp" in the arg?

• plumbergplumberg Veteran

Yeah, thats not in argument.

@nullnull said:
    Do not use "-localhost -nolisten tcp" in the arg?