Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cheapo SSL cert
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cheapo SSL cert

twaintwain Member
edited May 2014 in General

Seems startssl.com's cert is expired and I can't authenticate in to my account there to create a new cert... (granted it's been a while since I've tried to login..)

Who are we recommending these days for cheapo one-domain SSL certs? gogetssl?

Comments

• duyan13duyan13 Member

crissic.net

• I personally "recommend" cacert.org - just because we need people to use it :P.

Just make a new account in startssl.com. I believe that is allowed.

• rmlhhdrmlhhd Member

$42 for a wildcard - IPXCore

• iceTwyiceTwy Member
    edited May 2014

@Silvenga said:
    I personally "recommend" cacert.org - just because we need people to use it :P.

Just make a new account in startssl.com. I believe that is allowed.

CACert is a good initiative - though only in the way that it is a community-driven CA, and not focused on ripping off customers - but let's face it; 'normal' users are just going to leave your website as soon as they notice that it creates a cert validation warning in their browser. CACert is unfortunately not a viable option for important matters, since it currently doesn't offer any advantage over creating your own self-signed certs.

As for StartSSL, fuck them. Steer clear of their shameful practices, that they justify through being the only CA that gives Class 1 certs for free.

TL;DR: CACert is unreliable, fuck StartSSL, Namecheap have some pretty cheap Class 1 certs though they're not the cheapest around.

• Just get trial certs, one from each CA.

• you can email startssl to work with them though

• twaintwain Member

Wound up going with GoGetSSL... Don't think a $5.95 Comodo PositiveSSL can be beat... - thanks for the suggestions.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

I tend to use: http://www.ssls.com/ cheap enough with a nice order system and interface.

• StevenNStevenN Member, Host Rep
  • After all these years, namecheap.com still makes it cheap enough.

• khavkhav Member

A PositiveSSL from namecheap

• khav said: A PositiveSSL from namecheap

+1

• wychwych Member

Namecheaps PositiveSSL is good value.

• BlazeMuisBlazeMuis Member
    edited May 2014

I always get mine from gogetssl.com

I got a reseller account here (partner)

I can get them for $3.50 a year

• tomletomle Member, LIR

gogetssl adds EU VAT :(

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

shit VAT, i hate that stuff.

• rds100rds100 Member

Welcome to the EU.

• Couldn't live in the EU - one for the VAT.

• @tomle said:
    gogetssl adds EU VAT :(

If you have valid VAT number, you will not have any VAT for your company :)
    VAT is applicable only to Private person within EU and companies that don't have VAT from EU. All other customers never have any VAT :)

• @iceTwy said:
    TL;DR: CACert is unreliable, fuck StartSSL, Namecheap have some pretty cheap Class 1 certs though they're not the cheapest around.

Pretty much this. I ended up getting a wildcard cert from IPXCore cuz it was the cheapest I found. StartSSL wanted me to pay 29 bucks per cert to revoke them, which is insane considering how bad Heartbleed was, but maybe I was abusing their free certs in the first place. I won't be using them again and using a wildcard cert is just plain easier.