Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Idea: tunnled ipv4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Idea: tunnled ipv4

I know about ipv4 and know about gre tunnels but this thread is about the question could a ipv4 tunnel be used to make a vps in Europe more cost effective?

as i think the ipv6 could be local but the ipv4 could be in an arin area to save on costs and provide cheap Europe vps's.

as it only adds about 100 to 120ms of ping so would not be unusable to people even with game servers like minecraft and sa-mp but only affect stuff like cod badly so it could be a good trade off.

I hope you like my ideas and i would like to be part of lowendtalk as i want to bring politeness to lowendtalk and customer respect.

Matthew Morgan

Comments

• wychwych Member
    edited May 2014

In theory yes, but as you said ping can kill the connection.

If you did it on a large scale im also not sure what ARIN would have to say about you porting their IP's over to the EU.

• trexostrexos Member

Only 100-120ms :P

• @wych said:
    In theory yes, but as you said ping can kill the connection.

If you did it on a large scale im also not sure what ARIN would have to say about you porting their IP's over to the EU.

Gre only runs as a proxy so your not porting but passing traffic via an end zone like how tunnel broker works.

• @trexos said:
    Only 100-120ms :P

Can you please tell me the issue with that?

As even most gameservers like minecraft are only noticeable lag at about 500ms to 600ms ping.

• wychwych Member
    edited May 2014

@mtwiscool said:
    Gre only runs as a proxy so your not porting but passing traffic via an end zone like how tunnel broker works.

Im aware of what they are.

I am just not sure how you could clear it with a DC or ARIN for that many IP's to do it on a large scale...

• Might as well just get a USA server then?

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @wych said:
    I am just not sure how you could clear it with a DC or ARIN for that many IP's to do it on a large scale...

It's not lickly on a large scale and whats the issue with a VPN?

As i do not see anything in arin not allowing hosting via VPN.

• wychwych Member

@mtwiscool said:
    As i do not see anything in arin not allowing hosting via VPN.

Ok then... Best of Luck.

• @linuxthefish said:
    Might as well just get a USA server then?

As i told you on skype servers in the US cost more then Europe.
    And with the race to the bottom thing on lowendtalk i need to keep costs down as low as possible.

And i run other projects.

• wychwych Member

@mtwiscool said:
    And i run other projects.

How will you deal with the GeoLocation issues?

• @wych said:
    How will you deal with the GeoLocation issues?

To be honest i don't care if it says USA as the ip location does not matter too much.
    I'm just surprised at the lack of tunneled ipv4 vps's they are as it allows you to have less overheads.

• trexostrexos Member

@mtwiscool said:

Just get an US server then? Why would need an EU vps if you dont have the advantage of better connection?

• MatthewMMatthewM Member
    edited May 2014

@trexos said:
    Just get an US server then? Why would need an EU vps if you dont have the advantage of better connection?

The answer is simple.
    Servers in the EU are cheaper then the US but ip's are more costly so what is the solution?

• wychwych Member

@mtwiscool said:
    To be honest i don't care if it says USA as the ip location does not matter too much.

Im sure your clients that purchase a EU server will love the USA IP.

@mtwiscool said:
    I'm just surprised at the lack of tunneled ipv4 vps's they are as it allows you to have less overheads.

Latency.

@trexos said:

And this...

UK -> US -> EU and back to a VPS would be a killer latency.

• earlearl Member

I think there would be a market for a 4in6 tunnel service if the price was cheap enough.. most Dedi/vps's come with ipv6 now. if someone were to offer cheap 4in6 service then it would offer an alternative to purchasing IP's directly from your host.

• @earl said:
    I think there would be a market for a 4in6 tunnel service if the price was cheap enough.. most Dedi/vps's come with ipv6 now. if someone were to offer cheap 4in6 service then it would offer an alternative to purchasing IP's directly from your host.

I've had this idea for a few months but thought that people would already doing it.
    But it could drive ip prices back down to offset the price rises coming with more competition.

I think this is a vary good idea a would change the lowendmarket.

• earlearl Member

If anyone wants to buy it lowend4in6.com is available.

• trexostrexos Member

Well in fact I'm ready using GRE tunnelling already from US to NL. But not in production due high pings.

• earlearl Member

Yeah I find it odd that free v6 tunnels is everywhere but no real 4in6 provider at all.. I'm sure you can make a decent amount of money selling 4in6 services even to small niche market like LEB.

• @trexos said:
    Well in fact I'm ready using GRE tunnelling already from US to NL. But not in production due high pings.

Why is 100ms to 120ms too high?
    You need to be realistic about what ping is needed as most things it does not matter that much.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

Crappy idea and some companies already announce ARIN IP's directly in Europe like Vultr..

Thanked by 1rm_
  • trexostrexos Member

@Infinity said:
    Crappy idea and some companies already announce ARIN IP's directly in Europe like Vultr..

Why don't they lose their subnets? Thought it was forbidden.

• @Infinity said:

It is not allowed to announce ARIN IP's in Europe and doing so can get the ip space revoked.

@trexos said:
    Why don't they lose their subnets? Thought it was forbidden.

It is forbidden but many companies still do it, I'm not an expert on ARIN at all but I don't think they care with larger companies and old blocks being used outside of the region. If you try and get a new block for use you won't get it.

• @Infinity said:
    It is forbidden but many companies still do it, I'm not an expert on ARIN at all but I don't think they care with larger companies and old blocks being used outside of the region. If you try and get a new block for use you won't get it.

Thats why my idea is to just VPN traffic to the US as it would be using the ip's in the US (I love loopholes)

• taronyutaronyu Member

@mtwiscool said:

500ms is horrible in FPS games. Everything above 100 isn't playable anymore. And everything above 50 if you are a competitive player.

• wychwych Member

@taronyu said:

One fine use case, granted the average joe wanting to host his own site wouldnt care but TTL responses etc could be ugly too.

• @taronyu said:

120ms should be a ok ping for most uses of the vps's.

@mtwiscool said:
    Thats why my idea is to just VPN traffic to the US as it would be using the ip's in the US (I love loopholes)

It's a crappy idea nevertheless and not thought through well. IP's in the US aren't going to be cheap for long, once it's all gone you really think the providers that horded the IP's won't jack the prices up?

And who on earth would want a server in Europe take feels like it's in the US, just buy a server from bloody America in the first place.

Thanked by 1perennate
  • earlearl Member

I think it would make a good business.. VPS's sell like hot cakes, if you can offer an add-on to a saturated market where everyone has the potential to use your service then technically it should do well, considering there is no competition.. you are also promoting an easier transition to ipv6 so people would be more incline to try it out, cause currently v6 only vps is somewhat limited in use.

Granted tunneling from the US to the UE is probably not a good idea so you should offer different locations.