Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LowEnd Co-Location around Boston area?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

LowEnd Co-Location around Boston area?

I have an in-house tower server [Super Micro Mid-Tower SYS­7036A­T] in my home basement. Since its residential, I dont have a dedicated IP. Plus, the Internet connectivity is flaky some times.

I am wondering if there are any "cheap" providers that can co-locate my server at their datacenter? I am not looking at high speed/ bandwidth requirements. A couple of IPs will help.

Any suggestions on providers? I want it as low as possible on the co-location fees.

Comments

• J1021J1021 Member

LEB should start some sort of lowend colo seeking.

• PatrickPatrick Member

Only Cogent comes to mind, but they don't do single colo and you have to do self remote hands.

• Domain for sale: lowendcolo.com

• plumbergplumberg Veteran

@1e10 said:
    LEB should start some sort of lowend colo seeking.

+1

• earlearl Member
    edited May 2014

Everyone will probably stone me!!.. lol but I think it's the cheapest there is for now!

Make sure you read up on volumedrive and that you are comfortable with that before you sign up.

http://volumedrive.com/vdrive/?a=COLO1U

Space: 1U Rackmount Colo
        Power: 1A 120V (120W)
        BW: 100 Mbps Unmetered*
        IP: 2 Public IP Addresses
        KVM On Demand Available
        $19.95/mo | $0 Setup 

Depending on your setup you probably need to get an extra amp..

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@earl said:
    Everyone will probably stone me!!.. lol but I think it's the cheapest there is for now!

Make sure you read up on volumedrive and that you are comfortable with that before you sign up.

http://volumedrive.com/vdrive/?a=COLO1U

> 
    >     Space: 1U Rackmount Colo
    >     Power: 1A 120V (120W)
    >     BW: 100 Mbps Unmetered*
    >     IP: 2 Public IP Addresses
    >     KVM On Demand Available
    >     $19.95/mo | $0 Setup 
    > 

Depending on your setup you probably need to get an extra amp..

Where are they located now?

• earlearl Member
    edited May 2014

@Infinity said:
    Where are they located now?

I think it's their new address..

1143 Northern Blvd , Clarks Summit , PA 18411

--edit--

its possible the address i gave is for the UPS store and not their new DC. probably best to email sales if you need any info

• BoxodeBoxode Member

Stay very, very far away from anything with "Volumedrive" in its name unless you want -

A. Your server being stolen from the DC.
    B. Abused network and blacklisted IPs
    C. 60% of your packets dropping for no reason.
    D. 1Mbit duplex connection.

• The OP said a tower server. Even if VolumeDrive was reputable, rackmount colocation doesn't work for this. The form factor of the tower may drive up costs a bit as well.

• earlearl Member
    edited May 2014

viCommunications said: Stay very, very far away from anything with "Volumedrive" in its name unless you want -

A. Your server being stolen from the DC. B. Abused network and blacklisted IPs C. 60% of your packets dropping for no reason. D. 1Mbit duplex connection.

Have you ever been a client of volumedrive?

The last time you were quick to call me a liar! with absolutely no basis or because you were too lazy to use your scroll button to actually read I what I posted!

Yes Volumedrive is not perfect but let's read what the OP is asking for!

said: I am wondering if there are any "cheap" providers

said: I want it as low as possible on the co-location fees.

It's pretty much a given that if you ask for the cheapest offers you are not going to get the best network or the best of anything.. But you seem to misunderstand that different people have different needs.. for a test box hobby site it's fine which I believe is what the OP is asking for.

@earl Thanks for the VolumeDrive intro. I will sure read reviews and see how it is. But, yes, being a mid-tower, I am not sure how the costs will work out.

@all, thanks a bunch. If you find / recommend any provider for colocation in around new England, I will be ready to explore options.

• earlearl Member
    edited May 2014

@fizzyjoe908 said:
    The OP said a tower server. Even if VolumeDrive was reputable, rackmount colocation doesn't work for this. The form factor of the tower may drive up costs a bit as well.

1U or Desktop tower should be the same price essentially it's a single server.. DS /WSI also offers a desktop or rackmount with no change in price.

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?p=9091892#post9091892

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

A desktop takes more than 1U.

Hint: U is a unit of rack space.

• SunnSunn Member
    edited May 2014

@serverian said:

You still have it? I am interested to buy. Can you please PM me.

Domain: lowendcolo.com

• earlearl Member

@raindog308 said:
    A desktop takes more than 1U.

Hint: U is a unit of rack space.

I've already reference a link where volumedrive confirms that the price of a 1U or Mid tower desktop is the same? If I knew they charge a different price for a mid tower then I would have commented regarding the additional fees, like I did with the extra power.

Not sure why everyone is making such a fuss over it.. If the OP was really interested he would have emailed volumedrive and I'm sure they would confirm the price is the same.

• @earl said:

Its the same price for a tower as well. When people seem to talk smack about VD because its what all the cool kids are doing.

The server I have on VD's network are running fine.

Thanked by 1earl
  • earl said: I think it's their new address..

1143 Northern Blvd , Clarks Summit , PA 18411

That address belongs to a UPS Store: http://clarkssummit-pa-3223.theupsstorelocal.com/

• earlearl Member
    edited May 2014

@ChrisMiller said:
    That address belongs to a UPS Store: http://clarkssummit-pa-3223.theupsstorelocal.com/

the address is for abington mall/plaza the UPS store is in the plaza.. not sure of the unit number that belongs to volumedrive.. but when I asked Josh regarding colo that was the zip code he gave me so i don't think he would give the address for a PO box.

probably best to just email sales as I dont really know everthing regarding volumedrive. I would hate to be giving out the wrong info.

--edit--

just thought of it, its possible that maybe they have the server sent to the UPS store and then transport it back to their DC.. if that is the case then i dont know of their new address.

• earl said: the address is for abington mall/plaza the UPS store is in the plaza.. not sure of the unit number that belongs to volumedrive.. but when I asked Josh regarding colo that was the zip code he gave me so i don't think he would give the address for a PO box.

probably best to just email sales as I dont really know everthing regarding volumedrive. I would hate to be giving out the wrong info.

If you check out the plaza on google Maps you will see that every store in it has its own address just one number difference. So I am pretty sure he just gave you a UPS store address.

• earlearl Member

@ChrisMiller said:
    If you check out the plaza on google Maps you will see that every store in it has its own address just one number difference. So I am pretty sure he just gave you a UPS store address.

yeah i just thought of it..i updated my post.

• kerouackerouac Member

found this online, ask them about tower colo maybe?

http://www.axcelx.com/boston-colocation.php

@earl said:

Awaiting reply

• earlearl Member

@plumberg said:
    Awaiting reply

Let them know the specs of your server.. see if they will let you get away with the 1 amp..

To be honest I would just rent a server, you wouldn't have to pay for shipping and all parts are guaranteed, so if your drive etc. fails they will replace it for you no charge.

with colo I think you need to have some spare parts, not sure if they would store it for free. It's also more cumbersome when you decide to discontinue your service since you need them to ship back your server.

There is also the option of RTO where you pay $XX/month and in say a year the server is yours..

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1337277

Anyways whatever you decide good luck to you..

@earl said:
    Anyways whatever you decide good luck to you..

I made an investment on a server that I thought was helpful to be kept locally. Its a full blown server with dual processors and all. I have been using it past 1 year. Since this investment is already made, I am not sure if I need to put more money in renting a server again. Sure, if this server fails in future, renting is the way to go for me. Learned it.

This RTO seems to be a good concept, but, will be able to use it for other projects in future. Fingers crossed on whether I will be able to get a cheap co-location now...

Thanked by 1earl
  • wychwych Member

@serverian said:
    Domain for sale: lowendcolo.com

Price?

• @wych said:
    Price?

Make me an offer.

• earlearl Member

plumberg said: Its a full blown server with dual processors and all.

Hmm.. I doubt they will let you colo that for the base $19/mo. I got the impression that for the price they advertise they will let you colo an atom, lol.

Well, maybe you can work out a deal with them..

@earl said:

Haha, lets see, I have sent them the specs again. Hopefully they will be able to take up my server for the base cost. That will be a steal.

• earlearl Member
    edited May 2014

@plumberg said:
    Haha, lets see, I have sent them the specs again. Hopefully they will be able to take up my server for the base cost. That will be a steal.

Forgot to mention.. there is also wholesaleinternet.. it's in Kansas a bit far from Boston but you can decide..

I think with them it's basically single server one power outlet, don't see anything in regards to charging for extra amps.

Just be warned they were having network issue cause of some bandwidth miners, but it might just be isolated to the cheap $30 and under servers they offer, cause I have a higher specked server with them and it's been fine..

Well do your research before you sign up, here is the link..

https://www.wholesaleinternet.net/colocation/

--edit--

oops seems they charge starting at 5 amps @ $60.. so maybe anything under that is included!

• wychwych Member

@serverian said:

$7 as were on LET.