Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is there a way to play rar'd movies remotely?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is there a way to play rar'd movies remotely?

I have a VPS which I've been using to download torrents occasionally, and at the moment I have an ruTorrent plugin that automatically unrar's torrents so I can play them in the browser or through VLC, but as I use a private tracker, leaving the torrents seeding means using 2x the space.

I know some video players can play rar'd movies, but can any do it remotely?

I can enable dir-listings if required but the folders are password-protected so it needs to support htpasswd

Comments

• DavidxDavidx Member

Is your puppy video collection that big?

Thanked by 2hostnoob netomx
  • BoxodeBoxode Member

Piracy is bad and unethical - furthermore, movies should not be free and you should be contributing to owners of the content who already make billions of dollars a year regardless of torrenting.

• hostnoobhostnoob Member
    edited May 2014

@David_P said:
    Is your puppy video collection that big?

My home connection is that slow. :)

• One hacky solution is rarFS and related projects

• SilvengaSilvenga Member
    edited May 2014

I wouldn't use HTTP as your transport protocol (made to send text over the Internet). I would set up a SMB or NFS share on your server and connect with your local computer. NFS is more efficient, but SMB is easier to setup (and native in Windows). You can mount the folder using SMB or NFS and play the rar'ed videos directly with VLC.

• RalliasRallias Member
    edited May 2014

VLC allows you to directly stream RAR'd movies. All you need to do is tell VLC to stream and the client VLC to watch a stream.

Thanked by 2raindog308 Mark_R
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Silvenga said: but SMB is easier to setup

That is a big problem easy to setup things are usually not secure and SMB/CIFS need a LOT of tricks to make it even remotely secure online. You could do it over a VPN, though, even a SSH socks proxy should do.

• vpsGODvpsGOD Member, Host Rep

Get a windows RDP it does. No more idea

• My idea:
    Get a cheap second VPS and transfer the unrared media files to it using rsync and an argument like --remove-source-files to free the space after the transfer.

Configure a sftp server, buy a Raspi with a wifi stick and connect it to the VPS and enjoy the stream on the TV using raspbmc.

It is not an answer to your question to the rar'd files but this is the way I would do it.

• hoczajhoczaj Member
    edited May 2014

@viCommunications said:
    Piracy is bad and unethical - furthermore, movies should not be free and you should be contributing to owners of the content who already make billions of dollars a year regardless of torrenting.

Based on your philosophy, I should steal money from you. Next month you will get another amount of money...
    But this fact does not allow me to do unethical actions against you, doesn't it?

What do you think? :)

• @hoczaj said:
    What do you think? :)

He said you SHOULD be contributing, not shouldn't.

• hoczajhoczaj Member
    edited May 2014

@GoodHosting

I see what he wrote, but I felt so much irony and justification in his sentence, with the: "who already make billions of dollars a year regardless torrenting"

I supposed that he was just justifying his actions and making them right with that fact he mentioned... :)

So, sorry if it was an irony of a "common-justification", and his orginial intention was: You should support the owners. :)

• Maounique said: That is a big problem easy to setup things are usually not secure and SMB/CIFS need a LOT of tricks to make it even remotely secure online. You could do it over a VPN, though, even a SSH socks proxy should do.

I meant the other direction. NFS is very hard to set up on a Windows client. SMB is very easy. In my opinion both have the same difficulty setting up on the server.

• What makes Samba so unsafe?

• MakenaiMakenai Member
    edited May 2014

@hostnoob said:
    What makes Samba so unsafe?

There have been a little bit too many exploits for it to be considered to be safe, moreover Samba was never really made to be used in WANs.

• The Samba solution doesn't work anyway :(

• BayuBayu Member
    edited May 2014

Maybe 99% of video file on internet has been compressed, whether is using xvid, h264/avc, x264, etc.

It is useless if compressed video is packed again using file archive tools (rar, zip, etc). Also, most of private tracker not permitted rar'd of torrent video. Rar encoding/decoding is not designed for live data compression/decompression due to a more complex algorithm than gzip / lz77.

• hostnoobhostnoob Member
    edited May 2014

@Bayu said:
    Maybe 99% of video file on internet has been compressed, whether is using xvid, h264/avc, x264, etc.

It is useless if compressed video is packed again using file archive tools (rar, zip, etc). Also, most of private tracker not permitted rar'd of torrent video. Rar encoding/decoding is not designed for live data compression/decompression due to a more complex algorithm than gzip / lz77.

Files are rar'd because if it corrupts while downloading, you only need to download X parts instead of the entire thing, it's not because of the compression, apart from software because that can be compressed.

Doesn't really matter for torrents but for HTTP/FTP/FXP it does.

• BayuBayu Member
    edited May 2014

You don't need to split the files, just download whole files normally. And when downloaded file are corrupt, it's simple matter:

Example, video file is 123.avi, then

1. Create another .torrent for 123.avi at server/vps with different chunk size (using mktorrent), give name "new-123.torrent"
    2. Download .torrent file to your computer
    3. Locate the corrupt downloaded file
    4. Run utorrent, add .torrent and force recheck

The corrupted file will be repaired by uTorrent. Once done, you can remove the .torrent file that you created from your server/vps.

This will save you time rather than splitting file (using rar or lxsplit) and re-download the corrupted part.

If you have 5 GB movie, you split to 1 GB per part, and while you finish all download part 5 is corrupted only 15 KB, you still have to download whole part (1 GB)

But using torrent you can repair it in a few seconds.

edited May 2014

Bayu said: Also, most of private tracker not permitted rar'd of torrent video

I would say not most, just ones that are easy to get into.

Those private trackers are not apart of the Scene or do not follow Scene rules. By the rules of the Scene community all movie files are to be rar'ed. There are many reasons for this. Some are not relevant for file distribution on the bittorrent network.

For example, we want to ensue data redundancy - rar supports archive recovery; we want multipart downloads for the use of distributing on alternative media and protocols - rar is very good for splitting file(s); etc.

We do not use rar to compress as much as the other advantages.

We should follow the Scene rules for distribution. The rules protect us and gives respect to whom it is due. The greatest hackers of the Internet have written these rules and follow them - as should we.

hostnoob said: The Samba solution doesn't work anyway :(

I use it to stream rar'ed files. Try NFS.

Thanked by 1hostnoob
  • @Silvenga said:
    I use it to stream rar'ed files. Try NFS.

I got it all working, but when I tried opening the first rar file from withinin VLC it wouldn't do anything, and when opening the rar and then double-clicking on the video it would just try and extract it.

edited May 2014

hostnoob said: I got it all working, but when I tried opening the first rar file from withinin VLC it wouldn't do anything, and when opening the rar and then double-clicking on the video it would just try and extract it.

Sounds right. Don't run the movie from WinRar (or whatever program), open the rar file from VLC. I would say your downlink is just slow and the VLC is buffering. Do you see a yellow bar (the one you use to seek)?

• chrispchrisp Member

First and most important rule: You don't delete scene rars..ever! You have some beautiful, nicely sfv-checkable scene rars. Why would you want to extract and rename them?

really, use rarfs and then stream the movie normally via VLC or others. Mount the rar to any location, make it available via http or anything and put the url in VLC. you can seed further and still have access to the full file.