Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

what does "legal torrent" stand for?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

what does "legal torrent" stand for?

really, I can't think of a single "legal" thing for torrenting!

Comments

• Linux Distros is a prime example.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

said: really, I can't think of a single "legal" thing for torrenting!

You can get most Linux distros via torrenting and it's faster than downloading from a single site.

Tons of technical docs, books, etc. are distributed via bittorrent. Some artists distribute their material that way as well.

There are thousands of movies that are not copyrighted, either because the copyright wasn't properly renewed or the artist chose not to copyright. You could get a lot of it via archive.org but it's faster to bittorrent.

Now go away and practice your thinking.

Thanked by 1Davidx
  • DavidxDavidx Member

@gattytto said:
    really, I can't think of a single "legal" thing for torrenting!

Nearly all Linux distros have torrents..which saves a lot of time?

George Barnett, whose a decent musician put some of his music up for torrent for those who couldn't afford it as well.

I think it's sad torrenting has been tainted. HTTP is used for piracy too?

• Mark_RMark_R Member
    edited May 2014

I use it for backup purposes / transfering very large files because the bittorrent protocol is really stable + you can resume downloading at any time this is useful if your internet randomly disconnects etc.

Thanked by 1Corey
  • Bittorrent Sync. Blizzard use Bittorrent to deliver things like WoW patches and game downloads (or did). Streaming using the bit torrent network... Bittorrent is just a protocol.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • gattyttogattytto Member
    edited May 2014

wait you can stream using torrent protocol?

• MikeInMikeIn Member
    edited May 2014

gattytto said: wait you can stream using torrent protocol?

Yep! Concept wise. One is being developed by Bittorrect inc.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • You mean live streaming? I think people have played with the idea but I don't think it could be accomplished on pure vanilla bit torrent as you need the file hashes before you can start downloading but I meant more along the lines of PopcornTime, but legal. I can't remember the name but I am sure there is or was a company using bit torrent to stream videos.

• Mark_RMark_R Member
    edited May 2014

@AThomasHowe said:
    You mean live streaming? I think people have played with the idea but I don't think it could be accomplished on pure vanilla bit torrent as you need the file hashes before you can start downloading but I meant more along the lines of PopcornTime, but legal. I can't remember the name but I am sure there is or was a company using bit torrent to stream videos.

Doesn't utorrent allow watching videos that are still being downloaded? or Vuze? i'm pretty sure that i've seen something like this before.

• Yes that's the same kinda thing, not usually for strictly legal reasons like OP asked. But that's much different from live streaming something as new video is being generated ;-)

• Mark_RMark_R Member

@AThomasHowe said:
    Yes that's the same kinda thing, not usually for strictly legal reasons like OP asked. But that's much different from live streaming something as new video is being generated ;-)

I dont know entirely how it works or if it works at all, i'm just pointing to a source that possibly made streaming through the bittorrent protocol possible. it most likely will give a delay in a live stream but it still would do the job I think. I just have to learn more about the way they accomplished this in order to judge about that.

• hostnoobhostnoob Member
    edited May 2014

@Mark_R said:
    I dont know entirely how it works or if it works at all, i'm just pointing to a source that possibly made streaming through the bittorrent protocol possible. it most likely will give a delay in a live stream but it still would do the job I think. I just have to learn more about the way they accomplished this in order to judge about that.

I think if you set the client to stream the downloading video, it makes sure to download the first RAR file, and then the rest in order, and it can then start playing the video as soon as you have part 1

• Mark_RMark_R Member
    edited May 2014

@hostnoob said:
    I think if you set the client to stream the downloading video, it makes sure to download the first RAR file, and then the rest in order, and it can then start playing the video as soon as you have part 1

I doubt that it only works on .rar containing video torrents. What if you torrent a .avi file for example? dont you think that they try to get the required data pieces first depending on your stream buffer? that is what I would expect.

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

AThomasHowe said: Yes that's the same kinda thing, not usually for strictly legal reasons like OP asked. But that's much different from live streaming something as new video is being generated ;-)

btsync doesn't assume both sides know about the blocks already.

• @Mark_R said:
    I doubt that it only works on .rar containing video torrents. What if you torrent a .avi file for example? dont you think that they try to get the required data pieces first depending on your stream buffer? that is what I would expect.

IIRC you need to wait for the full AVI to download before you can play it, but that was years ago so they may have improved/changed it by now

• Mark_RMark_R Member

@hostnoob said:
    IIRC you need to wait for the full AVI to download before you can play it, but that was years ago so they may have improved/changed it by now

i'm really curious about that because i've had moments where I still was downloading a movie yet I still could playback parts of it using VLC Mediaplayer.

hostnoob said: IIRC you need to wait for the full AVI to download before you can play it, but that was years ago so they may have improved/changed it by now

Mark_R said: i'm really curious about that because i've had moments where I still was downloading a movie yet I still could playback parts of it using VLC Mediaplayer.

Yes, many media players can build the index or whatever automatically; I always get warning about that before watching incompletely downloaded video. So all you would need to do to implement this on demand video thing would be to prioritize earlier blocks.

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • Mark_RMark_R Member

@perennate said:

That clears up why they added this function in Deluge

• You guys realise I said it was possible with a little tweaking or added sugar to the protocol like btsync, right? I was the one who brought up video streaming...

• @Mark_R said:

I know when I used NZBPlayer, it would start playing as soon as you downloaded the first part. If it was an AVI file, VLC would give an error about "building the media index" but you could choose no (choosing yes would mean having to wait until all files are downloaded) and it would play fine.

• Mark_RMark_R Member

@hostnoob said:

I noticed that closing VLC after giving that error and re-opening the file again in VLC would bypass that error. but I think that @perennate is right, i've encountered this issue many times and it appears to be depending on how much you downloaded and what parts of the file, right now it looks like streaming using the bittorrent protocol is possible but needs some work to get the right pieces in on time depending on the buffer. If Vuze.com created the required technology to make this happen then this is great news and worth the price they ask for it.

I always get that warning dialog. It doesn't matter though because after selecting "no" it works fine as @hostnoob said. I can start watching immediately after I start my scp, assuming that my scp proceeds a bit faster than the actual playback speed.

• lelewkulelewku Member

weed is legal..this is what i need.

• Mark_RMark_R Member

@perennate said:
    I always get that warning dialog. It doesn't matter though because after selecting "no" it works fine as hostnoob said. I can start watching immediately after I start my scp, assuming that my scp proceeds a bit faster than the actual playback speed.

scp?

• VPNVPN Member

uTorrent allows the streaming of torrents still in progress. Great for when you're downloading an album.

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • MakenaiMakenai Member
    edited May 2014

@hostnoob said:

It will not be changed and it would not be an improvement. In the protocol specification it is stated that pieces of a file should not be downloaded sequentially else it would degrade the performance of the protocol itself.
    http://wiki.vuze.com/w/Sequential_downloading_is_bad

Altough there are ways to circumvent it, this one is for utorrent
    http://ruzzzua.blogspot.com/2010/02/utorrent-sequential-download.html

Article is in Russian, but you can directly download the addon here
    https://github.com/Ruzzz/uSequential/raw/master/build/uSequential.btapp

Thanked by 1Mark_R
    edited May 2014

Mark_R said: scp?

From my storage server.

Makenai said: It will not be changed and it would not be an improvement. In the protocol specification it is stated that pieces of a file should not be downloaded sequentially else it would degrade the performance of the protocol itself. http://wiki.vuze.com/w/Sequential_downloading_is_bad

Hm, still for purposes of streaming video it shouldn't be big deal since everyone is streaming same content. Of course some people would have to have higher delay than others. I wonder when they're going to release the BitTorrent live thing, I think it's been over a year?

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

ncsoft also uses it to distribute patches and games as well as many other companies.
    This is why throttling torrents is bad, if i want to get a few DVDs of a big distro on a slow connection it will be bad. I always install live when I can, but not everyone can have 300 mbps to the mirror. The protocol will be improved and the streaming one will be similar to sopcast, perhaps a very different one, just called bittorrent too.