Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Seriously, Debian!?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Seriously, Debian!?

raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran
# apt-get install nmap
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
The following extra packages will be installed:
  dbus fontconfig fonts-droid fonts-liberation ghostscript gnuplot gnuplot-nox groff gsfonts
  hicolor-icon-theme imagemagick imagemagick-common libavahi-client3 libavahi-common-data
  libavahi-common3 libblas3 libblas3gf libcairo2 libcroco3 libcups2 libcupsimage2 libdatrie1 libdbus-1-3
  libdjvulibre-text libdjvulibre21 libexiv2-12 libffi5 libgdk-pixbuf2.0-0 libgdk-pixbuf2.0-common
  libgfortran3 libglib2.0-0 libglib2.0-data libgs9 libgs9-common libice6 libijs-0.35 libilmbase6
  libjasper1 libjbig0 libjbig2dec0 liblcms1 liblcms2-2 liblensfun-data liblensfun0 liblinear-tools
  liblinear1 liblqr-1-0 libltdl7 liblua5.1-0 libmagickcore5 libmagickcore5-extra libmagickwand5
  libnetpbm10 libopenexr6 libpango1.0-0 libpaper-utils libpaper1 libpcap0.8 libpixman-1-0 librsvg2-2
  librsvg2-common libsm6 libsvm-tools libsystemd-login0 libthai-data libthai0 libtiff4 libwmf0.2-7
  libxaw7 libxcb-render0 libxcb-shm0 libxext6 libxft2 libxmu6 libxrender1 libxt6 netpbm poppler-data
  psutils shared-mime-info ufraw-batch x11-common
Suggested packages:
  dbus-x11 ghostscript-cups ghostscript-x hpijs gnuplot-doc imagemagick-doc autotrace cups-bsd lpr lprng
  enscript ffmpeg gimp grads hp2xx html2ps libwmf-bin mplayer povray radiance sane-utils texlive-base-bin
  transfig xdg-utils cups-common exiv2 libjasper-runtime liblcms-utils liblcms2-utils liblinear-dev
  ttf-baekmuk ttf-arphic-gbsn00lp ttf-arphic-bsmi00lp ttf-arphic-gkai00mp ttf-arphic-bkai00mp
  librsvg2-bin poppler-utils fonts-japanese-mincho fonts-ipafont-mincho fonts-japanese-gothic
  fonts-ipafont-gothic fonts-arphic-ukai fonts-arphic-uming fonts-unfonts-core ufraw
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  dbus fontconfig fonts-droid fonts-liberation ghostscript gnuplot gnuplot-nox groff gsfonts
  hicolor-icon-theme imagemagick imagemagick-common libavahi-client3 libavahi-common-data
  libavahi-common3 libblas3 libblas3gf libcairo2 libcroco3 libcups2 libcupsimage2 libdatrie1 libdbus-1-3
  libdjvulibre-text libdjvulibre21 libexiv2-12 libffi5 libgdk-pixbuf2.0-0 libgdk-pixbuf2.0-common
  libgfortran3 libglib2.0-0 libglib2.0-data libgs9 libgs9-common libice6 libijs-0.35 libilmbase6
  libjasper1 libjbig0 libjbig2dec0 liblcms1 liblcms2-2 liblensfun-data liblensfun0 liblinear-tools
  liblinear1 liblqr-1-0 libltdl7 liblua5.1-0 libmagickcore5 libmagickcore5-extra libmagickwand5
  libnetpbm10 libopenexr6 libpango1.0-0 libpaper-utils libpaper1 libpcap0.8 libpixman-1-0 librsvg2-2
  librsvg2-common libsm6 libsvm-tools libsystemd-login0 libthai-data libthai0 libtiff4 libwmf0.2-7
  libxaw7 libxcb-render0 libxcb-shm0 libxext6 libxft2 libxmu6 libxrender1 libxt6 netpbm nmap poppler-data
  psutils shared-mime-info ufraw-batch x11-common
0 upgraded, 83 newly installed, 0 to remove and 5 not upgraded.
Need to get 42.3 MB of archives.
After this operation, 127 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? 

Do I really need Japanese gothic fonts, cairo, x11, ghostscript, groff, and gnu plot to install nmap?

# cat /etc/debian_version 

Comments

• vedranvedran Veteran

Try with --no-install-recommends

• said: Do I really need Japanese gothic fonts

Do you ever write particularly depressing haikus?

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

vedran said: Try with --no-install-recommends

Much better...but I'm still trying to wrap my head around a scenario where the Debian project thinks that to run nmap, you need x11 and ghostscript.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • AedenAeden Member

Try "sudo apt-get --no-install-recommends install nmap"
    They added these "recommended dependencies" with 6.0 and no one has any idea why. Possibly the GUI component?

• souensouen Member
    edited May 2014

said: Much better...but I'm still trying to wrap my head around a scenario where the Debian project thinks that to run nmap, you need x11 and ghostscript.

Pdf reports with fancy graphs (because everyone likes pie charts)?

• ciderocidero Member

In ubuntu, a "apt-get install mtr" wants to install x11 as well. "mtr-tiny" is the real package. Maybe with nmap its similar.

• codehuskercodehusker Member
    edited May 2014

https://packages.debian.org/wheezy/nmap

Debian's nmap package neither depends on nor recommends those packages...

• Debian tries to associate files that are related to the actual file you are trying to install, in order to make the package function better.

• vedranvedran Veteran
    edited May 2014

DRobins13 said: Debian's nmap package neither depends on nor recommends those packages...

No, but liblinear1 does

Edit: actually liblinear1 recommends liblinear-tools which recommends libsvm-tools which requires gnuplot. And that's how you get X?

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I agree it goes somewhat awry, I had strange packages which wanted to install too, for example in xfce4, it seems the list grows all the time. While I dont really care cause I have big connections disks and ram, this is going against my view of debian of a rather slim and slick distro.

• amhoabamhoab Member

It's not really a "problem," per se. In this case, nmap has a bunch of dependencies, and Debian uses modular packages, so it looks like you need a ton of stuff. I don't know why you'd need cups-common and things like that, but it does look like you're getting the full shebang (in terms of nmap functionality) here. If you need something slimmer, you might need to get the source.

amhoab said: In this case, nmap has a bunch of dependencies

Except that it really doesn't - on CentOS I think it's a single solitary package. I need cups to scan ports? No.

• ProfforgProfforg Member
    edited May 2014

raindog308 said: Except that it really doesn't - on CentOS I think it's a single solitary package. I need cups to scan ports? No.

Many packages differs in different OSes. Some packages was initially build for CentOS, some for Debian. Sometimes it is also just related on depencies. Some depencies preinstalled in CentOS, some preinstalled in Debian.

Also, on Debian, it ensures that the application will work with all it's functions. If you want, you can try compile nmap yourself, it may run OK without any other packages, but some features may fail to work

BTW, this is what i have on one of my production servers, same system ver as yours:

aptitude install nmap --without-recommends

The following NEW packages will be installed:

libblas3 libblas3gf{a} libgfortran3{a} liblinear1{a} nmap

The following packages are RECOMMENDED but will NOT be installed:

liblinear-tools

0 packages upgraded, 5 newly installed, 0 to remove and 14 not upgraded.

I see only 5 packages, and total 6 with recommends. You may have some modified OS template, maybe it's OpenVZ minimal template? Also there may be much packages, if you have installed Desktop Environment. Also it may be just dbus depencies. Dbus is needed for many packages, so you need it to be installed anyway.

Profforg said: You may have some modified OS template, maybe it's OpenVZ minimal template?

This is on a Linode Debian 7.5 default image. No desktop stuff installed. No X even.

Your --without-recommends is the same as mine. But if I just did apt-get install nmap, I would have gotten a ton of crap.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited May 2014
     echo  'APT::Install-Recommends "false";' >> /etc/apt/apt.conf

About the first thing I do on every new VPS or dedi. Don't blame Debian if you don't know how to properly use it.

Thanked by 2tommy vedran
  • @rm_ I don't think you need to disable recommends in apt.conf to use Debian properly.

I disable recommends on a case by case basis. Most of the time the recommends include pretty useful stuff, but sometimes you come across a package that wants to install X and the kitchen sink like OP.

For what it's worth, according to the Debian Policy on package relationships Recommends is supposed to mean:

This declares a strong, but not absolute, dependency.

>

The Recommends field should list packages that would be found together with this one in all but unusual installations.

Also a perhaps "more Debian" way is to use a file in /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/ instead of editing /etc/apt/apt.conf.

Thanked by 1vedran
  • DroidzoneDroidzone Member
    edited May 2014

@deptadapt said:
    Also a perhaps "more Debian" way is to use a file in /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/ instead of editing /etc/apt/apt.conf.

Touche.

/etc/apt/apt.conf.d/01norecommends:

APT
    {
    Install-Recommends “false”;
    };

Thanked by 1vedran
  • @joelgm said:

How is that more Debian? CentOS is the same in lieu of "abc.conf.d/##file" instead of "abc.conf #giantfile"

• GoodHosting said: How is that more Debian?

Because it's implemented in apt? It's all *nix and structures are bound to follow a general pattern. You have regex in apt-get and yum. Does that mean using yum with regex makes it less centos-ish?

• @joelgm said:

Do you though? The only norm in CentOS I can think of off the top of my head is the fun things we do to "/tmp ==> /usr/tmp ==> /dev/mem/disk/tmp"

As per yum, the common practice is: yum install program or yum install program* ; or yum install @Group if you're too lazy to type groupinstall.

I can't think of anyone that uses regex in yum.

• DroidzoneDroidzone Member
    edited May 2014

GoodHosting said: I can't think of anyone that uses regex in yum.

yum install [foo fie fo fum]
    yum search [*foo?]

For advanced searches, I suppose you do have to use pipes.

• @joelgm said:

yum install [gc]+

This would turn out fairly bad, as you would install anything whose combined letters were "g" or "c" in any multiple. I cannot see the practical applications of this.

yum whatprovides [gc]* | less

This however...