Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Browser with built-in windows?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Browser with built-in windows?

rskrsk Member, Patron Provider

Hello Guys,

I tried to google this before just opening a thread. Sometimes I need to work with different websites simultaneously.

Is there any browser that has built in windows? For example you can see 4 websites in a single browser (that has 4 smaller windows). Or a program that you know about to help facilitate this?

I appreciate the help :-)

Comments

• VPNVPN Member

You mean like tiled browsing?

Haven't heard of this before myself, would also love to know if this is possible!

• rskrsk Member, Patron Provider

VPN said: You mean like tiled browsing?

Something like that I guess :P

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited May 2014

Usually it's the other way round, we have Windows, and in there you have a built-in browser. /jk

Seriously though, this is called MDI (Multi-Document Interface) and it went out of fashion a long time ago. Old versions of Opera were like that, at least around version 4 or so. I'm not sure when exactly they have migrated to SDI (Single-...), I don't use Opera anymore.

Thanked by 1Pwner

Opera
    Opera provides built-in support for managing tabs in this manner. Right click the Tab Bar, go to Arrange and proceed to select Tile Vertically.

Can't seem to find it anymore :(

• Create a HTML page with frames?

• The ghetto solution for this would be to use workspaces.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2014

What OS are you using? in XFCE I find it much easier to scroll between workspaces, in Windows there's Dexpot that I used to use. Also those plugins for Firefox that @Abdussamad posted seem promising.

• srvrprosrvrpro Member

eLohkCalb said: Create a HTML page with frames?

He'd rather open different tabs than to keep editing the html code to go to different websites

• msg7086msg7086 Member

@rm_ said:
    Old versions of Opera were like that, at least around version 4 or so. I'm not sure when exactly they have migrated to SDI (Single-...), I don't use Opera anymore.

Opera had been always MDI based, until it moved to blink engine.

Try Opera 12.1x branch.

• ehabehab Member

i'd go with @eLohkCalb said heres a sample:

<html> <body> <table width="100%" border="0" cellspacing="5" cellpadding="5"> <tr style="height:300"> <td>sitename<iframe style="border-style: none; border-color: inherit; border-width: 0px; height:100%; width:100%;" src="http://www.coolsite.com/"></iframe> </td> <td>another page to see <iframe style="border-style: none; border-color: inherit; border-width: 0px; height:100%; width:100%;" src="http://www.hello.com/"></iframe> </td> </tr> </table> </body> </html>

change the urls and add rows as needed.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Looking for a way to open several ad websites and earn money?

• M_yM_y Member

Why don't you open 4 windows and change their sizes?

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • RLTRLT Member

That's what I usually do. The multi displays were very nice for researching articles. I miss them.

• On my current machine (I have multiple computers) with an AMD Card, I use HydraVision to grid multiple Chrome Windows if I really need to multitask. My current grid is 2x2 on a 1680x1050 screen, and looks something like this:
    image.
    There's probably something similar you can do with an NVIDIA GPU or some other software.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Magiobiwan said: I use HydraVision to grid multiple Chrome Windows if I really need to multitask

Why do you need special software to do that? Just open four instances of Chrome and size to taste.

• CoreyCorey Member

raindog308 said: Why do you need special software to do that? Just open four instances of Chrome and size to taste.

Well you can't accidentally move these windows on top of the others - they will be locked to their area. You don't have to 'guess' sizes as the 2*2 sets the bounds for you.

Thanked by 1Magiobiwan
  • shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

that's really cool actually. hydravision? never heard of it. will look up nvidia equivalent for my main desktop (nv geforce gtx 670) but this will come in handy on my secondary (amd radeon hd 7930)

• Hydravision is AMD's thing. NVIDIA (for Windows XP) had nView as part of the driver packages for their cards, due to Windows XP not having as good of multimonitor support, which also did some similar features, however it looks like it's not part of the Vista and newer driver packages. There are some 3rd party solutions which might work. I haven't done too much research though. The nice thing with the Grids is that you don't have to worry about guesstimating sizes or accidentally dragging windows over other windows, etc. It's really somewhat handy.

• Konqueror can do split views.

netomx said: Looking for a way to open several ad websites and earn money?

I wish. I just want to keep one app running that runs our billing panel, support, live chat, etc.

• ihatetonyyihatetonyy Member
    edited May 2014

Lunascape may be worth a go, though the Gecko and WebKit engines are a bit rickety, leaving Trident as your only modern (well, updated beyond 2011) engine.

There's also Opera 12.x (RIP) that you could look at, though some sites didn't play nice with the engine back when it was in its prime, so who knows about now.

• earlearl Member
    edited May 2014

you can try the browsers from Comodo

Icedragon - firefox clone (compatible with firefox add-ons)

http://www.comodo.com/home/browsers-toolbars/icedragon-browser.php

Dragon - chrome clone (not sure if compatible with add-ons or not)

http://www.comodo.com/home/browsers-toolbars/browser.php

and just pick add-ons for it..

http://digiwonk.wonderhowto.com/how-to/get-split-screen-browser-windows-chrome-safari-firefox-and-internet-explorer-0140158/