Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How do you deal with Ridiculous PayPal Disputes?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How do you deal with Ridiculous PayPal Disputes?

KittenKitten Member
edited May 2014 in General

Today I received a dispute made after 44 days of the payment. As you all know PayPal allows buyers to open a dispute upto 45 days after the payment is received.

I've hosted the customers website for a month, and it had 100% uptime for that time period according to Pingdom. He opened a ticket a few days before the month ended saying he can not continue his website any more as he can not afford it, so he shut it down.

Then 14 days later (today) I received the dispute of $1. I don't really care about the amount, it's just sad to see people do this.

I'm pretty sure even a PayPal agent would think this is fishy as it is 1 day before the 45 day limit.

The buyer disputed it as item not received and provided a URL to his website stating it is not resolving any where. He basically just pointed it to some dead name servers.

Comments

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

There is a difference between a chargeback and a dispute. If it is really just a dispute then you can just say a) it is for intangible web services or something, which isn't in buyer protection and b) client received service, show invoices and stuff

• SunnSunn Member
    edited May 2014

It's an intangible good. Simply call or email paypal, and they will close dispute in a matter of seconds.

• rds100rds100 Member

From the description, this is not a chargeback but a paypal dispute. You should be able to win this, just tell paypal that it is an intangible good / service which is not covered by paypal's buyer protection. And that you already provided this service,

• KittenKitten Member

@perennate said:
    There is a difference between a chargeback and a dispute. If it is really just a dispute then you can just say a) it is for intangible web services or something, which isn't in buyer protection and b) client received service, show invoices and stuff

Thanks. I have changed the title to dispute. It was not a charge back. I always get those two words mixed up.

• KittenKitten Member

@Sunn said:
    It's an intangible good. Simply call or email paypal, and they will close dispute in a matter of seconds.

Giving them a call right now. Thanks

Thanked by 1netomx
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited May 2014

I give them a full investigation, with undeniable proof that who claimed to order it did, in fact, order it and use it. It's won chargebacks even. Not everyone can be @maounique and actually pull off being anonymous. Most people slip up somewhere.

It helps if you're an ass and know how to convert anger into regex.

Thanked by 3Magiobiwan netomx Pwner
  • A week ago a client opened a dispute for 99 cents, he also told paypal that he didn't receive his product/service. This happened a few days after the customer's service expired due to overdue on payment for the next month.

Some people... Yuck

• SanderSander Member
    edited May 2014

Calling them will solve your problem faster. I call them when frauders try to get their money back by opening disputes and it works for me.
    Edit: Don't forget to mention your Terms of Service and don't forget to tell them this is an digital product.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran
    edited May 2014

jarland said: Not everyone can be @maounique and actually pull off being anonymous.

Are you issuing a challenge?

Thanked by 2jar netomx
  • AedenAeden Member

You have to challenge it, and like the others here said you have to tell them that it is an intangible good (which is not protected by PayPal buyer protection). At that point, you'll win 9/10 times. Also, providing proof that they received their good (IE: Server Usage Stats) and used it will help quite a bit.

• jvkzjvkz Member

PayPal favor buyer 99% of the time...

Remember, that if the customer open dispute of item not as described 10 days after delivery and you as a seller tell paypal that it is intangible they will immediately close the dispute in your favor without issuing refund.

And if the customer reopen dispute on 11th day with the excuse of that his account is used by someone not authorized to do so... what ever you do charge back will occur.

• smansman Member
    edited May 2014

@jvkz said:
    PayPal favor buyer 99% of the time...

Remember, that if the customer open dispute of item not as described 10 days after delivery and you as a seller tell paypal that it is intangible they will immediately close the dispute in your favor without issuing refund.

And if the customer reopen dispute on 11th day with the excuse of that his account is used by someone not authorized to do so... what ever you do charge back will occur.

I've won several disputes with customers through Paypal. So I disagree with 99%. If it's an iffy one I don't bother because yea, they will usually go with the buyer on those.

• jvkzjvkz Member

@sman said:
    I've won several disputes with customers through Paypal. So I disagree with 99%. If it's an iffy one I don't bother because yea, they will usually go with the buyer on those.

Everyone have his own opinion... What if customer do charge back from credit card company?

• jnguyenjnguyen Member

@jvkz said:
    Everyone have his own opinion... What if customer do charge back from credit card company?

Then you're screwed.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • M66BM66B Veteran
    edited May 2014

And there will often be a fee of $20 on top of it, so double screwed. Although it is often possible to reclaim this fee if you contact PayPal to explain the situation. This occurs on credit card charge backs only.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited May 2014

@GreenValueHost said:
    Then you're screwed.

Many times the customer is screwed too as they have to make another account. For small amounts that is not justified, but you should call paypal to ask the chargeback fee.

As for me being anonymous, what is that supposed to mean? I am not at all, any judge with a warrant can call paypal and find me. As Paypal is "patriotic", warrants are not needed either, I am not even US citizen so anything goes. FFS, how can anyone hope to remain anonymous when using "patriotic" services when even the german chancelor could not defend against spying?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@Maounique said:
    As for me being anonymous, what is that supposed to mean? I am not at all, any judge with a warrant can call paypal and find me. As Paypal is "patriotic", warrants are not needed either, I am not even US citizen so anything goes. FFS, how can anyone hope to remain anonymous when using "patriotic" services when even the german chancelor could not defend against spying?

It means you're actually one of the brighter minds around here in relation to remaining anonymous when you want to be. Everyone else seems to screw it up somewhere. Sloppy and lazy they get.

Thanked by 2Maounique netomx
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

jarland said: remaining anonymous when you want to be.

Hum, well, it is more like being fake than anonymous. When you create sufficiently credible personas, nobody is really digging for the true you. They are just happy with whatever you put up, provided it resists normal scrutiny, i.e. dont make major blunders. Since I have a short memory, I must have only few fake, but important things that i keep all the time, and many real but unimportant things to give substance.

Thanked by 3marrco jar seaeagle
  • FatboyFatboy Member

Not quite the same as you guys but I do a bit of coding on the side for people and still get chargebacks. To date I have lost 1 credit card chargeback out of quite a few attempts.

As long as you provide info that they received the service - so from my side of things, license server logs showing them running the software, IP addresses of people using it, support tickets (even had people say they haven't got any help from me when I have the whole thing in the support desk!) etc, PP will work well for you.

Guess you could do the same, FTP logs showing their IP uploading etc could help.

Over the last few years I have come to understand that there is a small minority of people who are complete idiots and will try to use and abuse you. Thankfully the majority of people are cracking, have a laugh and understand what they are doing.....just that minority that makes me twitch a bit :)