Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Minecraft Servers. A bunch of questions! - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Minecraft Servers. A bunch of questions!

2»

Comments

• @Blackstorm72 : Thank you.

I will try it again then. If I have unused funds for the game, maybe I will try to purchase it

• @ihatetonyy said: At the risk of encouraging piracy, AuthMe/AuthDB are great for this purpose..

True true, we use that in ours.
    I don't encourage piracy, but there are solutions around it (that most use anyway)
    Our server will never support it, or ever use the offline mode.

• KairusKairus Member
    edited April 2012

@Blackstorm72 said: I find it funny that kids will get their parents to buy WoW for $15/month but when its a one-time fee of $25, all hell breaks loose.

Or rent a VPS.

There's also a way to mod the client so your name isn't "Player" and you can set what you want your name to be, I did it for a few friends that ended up buying the game because of it. (Maybe they should have a trial...) IMO, just buy the game, Notch & co are great people, and we'll see more good games come out of them.

• Finally, I found a Minecraft Launcher which not asking for authorization.
    I've setup the Minecraft server as online-mode: false, and whitelists my username, and also allowing a 5 players in a SemoWeb 512MB OpenVZ 10TB
    Maybe I will try it now. Hehe

I've tried with a 1GB by CloudLix, but always return in error.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@ErawanArifNugroho said: I've tried with a 1GB by CloudLix, but always return in error.

check the command line that runs minecraft, and lower the ram usage

• Thank you. I've use the Ram for 512MB, but still can not started with CloudLix

• 512MB is about the lowest you can go and have a playable server - I don't recommend going over six slots with that, either. 1GB can handle quite a bit, though.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@ErawanArifNugroho said: Thank you. I've use the Ram for 512MB, but still can not started with CloudLix

try 800mb

• @Ivraatiems said: 512MB is about the lowest you can go and have a playable server - I don't recommend going over six slots with that, either. 1GB can handle quite a bit, though.

Run the GC in another thread and use optimised Java, you can easily fit 10.

• JTRJTR Member
    0: @dmmcintyre3 interesting, never seen a world that big, how long has that one been around?

Mine's 1.1GB and it's only half-generated. I've heard of people running servers with 10GB map files.

• @liamwithers said: BuyVM 256/512mb OpenVZ

BuyVM 512/1024mb OpenVZ
    ChicagoVPS 2048mb OpenVZ

i'm really glad to see they "can" run side by side.. :P

/offtopic

i'm afraid they will suspend your VPS because that CPU issue. but i could be wrong..

• VPNshVPNsh Member, Host Rep

@Mon5t3r said: i'm really glad to see they "can" run side by side.. :P

What do you mean?

Currently running with 1GB RAM allocated to Minecraft server, and all seems to be running nicely :'). Had 8 players max online so far, and all ran smoothly :)

• I've run a 1GB Minecraft on my ChicagoVPS with 15-20 people connected to it and my load was pretty low. It can be done - though it won't always be done. Depends on your host's hardware.

• DamianDamian Member

@liamwithers: What kind of CPU loading did you have with those 8 players?

@Damian sorry, I didn't check at the time D:.

And 15-20 people connected on a 1GB ChicagoVPS? Fair play.. I've currently got mine set to 16 slots, although I'll be surprised if it handles 16 players on 1GB OpenVZ :O

• @liamwithers said: And 15-20 people connected on a 1GB ChicagoVPS? Fair play.. I've currently got mine set to 16 slots, although I'll be surprised if it handles 16 players on 1GB OpenVZ :O

Depends. Do you have more then 10 plugins? Probably no more then 12.
    Running just Vanilla? Bet it could squeeze 20-24 depending on map size.

Using Debian Minimal with nothing else but MC? 16 is probably the limit as long as you don't have 20 plugins.

It's based on map size, how far players go outside from the general spawn, how you use java args, and if any plugins use a memory footprint like it's no tomorrow.
    Lots of things depend on it.

Current server is Bukkit. Running only one or two plugins at the moment (for a friend, waiting on him to let me know what others he wants).

Running on Ubuntu 10.04, on a server which also hosts two very low traffic web proxies for personal use. Got quite a lot of crap installed on there that isn't essential though.

I know hardly anything about MC, but my friend told me that when there were 8 players in there, they were all doing loads of stuff to try and crash it, and it just wouldn't.. meaning that must be a good sign (y).

If it can take 16 players, then I might have to consider selling these bad boys ;D.

• Blackstorm72Blackstorm72 Member
    edited May 2012

@liamwithers If your using Ubuntu 10.04 just as a server via SSH, Debian is better off with a small memory footprint. It's enough to make a difference on maybe an additional player or two.

I know a lot about Minecraft (I run a production server) and there isn't really a way to crash a server unless they were to flood it or use a hacked client that has an ability to crash it. If your talking about griefing, that's another issue aside.

With just 2 plugins and bukkit, you'd get about 18 players or so. If you tweak java a bit, you can push 20.
    If you get Craftbukkit++ from http://ci.getspout.org which is a better CPU and Memory version of Craftbukkit, you could get 20 or more depending on what you have as plugins.

Not including SQL, or any intense plugins such as War or LWC.
    Again a lot of things will contribute to how much memory usage will run per player and map size as well.

• Slightly OT, but apart from being familiar with -Xmx, folks using java on OpenVZ lebs should also be aware of the differences between JVMs. With the same arguments, I've often had IBMs JRE succeed on OpenVZ when both OpenJDK (the default) and Sun's failed. Sun's also has some fancy GC options which may be of help for Minecraft (or any other app) where you are trying to optimize say 512mb+ of memory instead of simply trying to get ito run on 128mb or so. YMMV, of course.

• @Kairus said: interesting, never seen a world that big, how long has that one been around?

I have two customers using about 80GB for their worlds and player metadata.
    They have a 450GB disk limit, so that doesn't matter, overselling is gay anyway.