Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mothership1 - A new low priced cloud from CentriLogic and Incubaid - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Mothership1 - A new low priced cloud from CentriLogic and Incubaid

Comments

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

serverian said: I wouldn't trust an article which says Openstack is a hypervisor.

This.

Thanked by 2bpsRobert Infinity
  • No it doesn't.

Infrastructure-as-a-Service like Amazon Web Services provides virtual server instanceAPI) to start, stop, access and configure their virtual servers and storage.

Digital Ocean API does this.

In the enterprise, cloud computing allows a company to pay for only as much capacity as is needed, and bring more online as soon as required.

Digital Ocean and AWS do this exactly the same with bundled packages.

Because this pay-for-what-you-use model resembles the way electricity, fuel and water are consumed, it's sometimes referred to as utility computing.

Digital Ocean and AWS do this exactly the same as per hour or per month billing.

As you see the article can't describe the differences and can only point some features of many.

Only the companies can tell their differences offered as every company handles things differently. Some offer X feature, some don't. And none of them classifieds them as cloud or not.

As I said, there is no scientific definition for cloud hosting.

• edited May 2014

No useful information here. Move along.

• VirtovoVirtovo Member

Agree with @serverian. Cloud is a marketing term and means different things to different people depending on feature set required.

For some, it's all about scaling and being to fire up and destroy instances quickly and resize those that are all running (preferably through a full featured API)

For others its about HA and redundancy

To others, its about having a sky looking website, a quick signup process and selling people easy to manage VPS products.

• DavidxDavidx Member

Why are videos from these companies always cheesy?

Thanked by 1Gunter
  • rskrsk Member, Patron Provider

Doesnt the mothership always get destroyed in the end? XD

Thanked by 2leapswitch William
  • blergh_blergh_ Member

Not sure why anyone would want to get in to this nowdays, seems like a great way to lose money.

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • publiopublio Member

Compute pricing seems competitive, but HD storage at $0.15/GB can't compare to AWS's $0.05/GB. Still, no charge for IO so that's a plus.

• alexhalexh Member

These new providers have one thing right: their billing model. It's convenient to be able to put $10 into account credit and create/destroy VMs on an as-needed basis, especially when evaluating the provider.

Aside from SAN storage, it'd be nice to see more providers implement private networking; I'm not sure why it's not a more common feature.

• WilliamWilliam Member

Still waiting for a cloud provider willing to announce own IP space or assign larger nets than stupid /29s... seems to be just impossible.

• VirtovoVirtovo Member

That video is awful.

• matteobmatteob Barred

@William said:
    Still waiting for a cloud provider willing to announce own IP space or assign larger nets than stupid /29s... seems to be just impossible.

Every provider with own structure can announce customer block. Just contact them directly, some charge it, some not, but most with own structure will do it.

• seikanseikan Member

@SammiRose said:
    There must be some fact or incident behind this "Mothership1". Normally giving name is confusing task.

It's just because mothership.com already registered. LOL

Thanked by 1Gunter
  • SammiRoseSammiRose Member
    edited May 2014

@seikan said:
    It's just because mothership.com already registered. LOL

Although its registered, adding '1' will help ?? I don't think so. Please clarify if it adds some meaning here

• instatechinstatech Member
    edited May 2014

Got email from them today"To begin using our service, we require you to upload a minimum credit of $50USD to your account."I think i will pass for now when they will launch actual service then i will try.

• What kinda name is mothership1 lol

• @instatech said:
    Got email from them today"To begin using our service, we require you to upload a minimum credit of $50USD to your account."I think i will pass for now when they will launch actual service then i will try.

I got that email too, which really disappoints me. I just want to test out their services and see if it's up to par.

• aoleeaolee Member

@instatech said:

just deposit your 50usd to vultr, and you'll get extra 50 credits with them. More worth!

• rds100rds100 Member

I guess their mothership has lost contact with the mother planet earth. They are heading to another planet now.

• @aolee said:
    just deposit your 50usd to vultr, and you'll get extra 50 credits with them. More worth!y

Yes vultr is good i already have account with them.Hourly billing rocks.Anyway i am not going to deposit $50 on this mothercloud since they are on their beta stage i am not going to take risk with this new company.

• Original email from them yesterday:

Dear,

Thank you for your Mothership1 registration!

Mothership1 was created to address the ongoing issues experienced by customers of other well-known cloud providers. We believe that many of the existing cloud offerings on the market are complex, insecure, and inefficient. Our goal is to provide users with an innovative cloud platform that is simple, secure, and fast – all at a competitive price.

We are onboarding customers in structured batches. Priority will be given to registrants that provide us with some additional information to help us continually improve our offering.

To begin using our service, we require you to upload a minimum credit of $50USD to your account. If you answer the questions below, we will double the amount of your first uploaded credit free of charge!

Are you an individual user or are you signing up on behalf of a company?
    How many Virtual Machines do you plan on using now and in the future?
    What feature(s) are you looking for in a cloud offering?
    Are you interested in using our Cloud Desktop Deck?

Kind regards,
    The Mothership1 Team,

I replied how I was a developer as an individual with corporation ties. Told them my intended uses as so. Received this just now:

Dear,

>

Welcome to Mothership1!

>

We have activated your account. We have added some credit to your account so you >can test right away!

>

Please read the Getting Started Guide, it takes a minute and helps you understand our >difference with other public cloud offerings.

>

>

Your Username: [REDACTED]

>

Your Password: [REDACTED]

I'll let you know how things go.

• @hostnoob said:
    What is the difference between all these providers? Do they all use their own custom software or is there some generic software like OpenVZ?

Hi, we have updated our value proposition page to explain you better what Mothership1 wants to bring differently compared to other cloud providers. See the table at the bottom of that page.

Of course some things are similar as other providers, like most run on SSDs and some things we don`t do as well (yet). Most unique features are: Virtual machines are by default private & protected on private LAN, the integrated enterprise capable virtual firewall/router/VPN, new server deployment in less 5 seconds, snapshots in a matter of just seconds, immediate rollbacks and faster start and stop.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

Would you consider smaller amounts as account credit? I'd like to test it out, however throwing 50$ at something that I might or might not use is a little bit meh.

• @instatech said:

RAID level (if any) is currently rather dubious, can't confirm.

All SSDs are PRO SSDs in RAID 1

• @Alex_LiquidHost said:
    Would you consider smaller amounts as account credit? I'd like to test it out, however throwing 50$ at something that I might or might not use is a little bit meh.

Yes. We do this now because of high demands. Please signup and reply to the questionnaire in the response e-mail and include as well the question of this forum. Customer support is flexible on people that want to provide feedback and help us to continually improve our offering.

• alexhalexh Member

@mothership1 said:
    Yes. We do this now because of high demands. Please signup and reply to the questionnaire in the response e-mail and include as well the question of this forum. Customer support is flexible on people that want to provide feedback and help us to continually improve our offering.

I like your site a lot! I'm sure it's planned, but it may improve readability a bit if you re-organize your colophon, contact and privacy policy pages.

I'm wondering what locations you plan to offer in the near future; I'd try your service but unfortunately all of your locations appear to be east-coast.

• @alexh said:
    I'm wondering what locations you plan to offer in the near future; I'd try your service but unfortunately all of your locations appear to be east-coast.

Bracknell (UK) is next on the list, after that we will expand to one or more of our other data centers: Rochester, NY (USA), Buffalo, NY (USA), Mississauga, ON (Canada) and Hong Kong.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@mothership1 Did you deliberately join the 'Cloud services with ridiculous names' club, or was it happy coincidence?

• @Nekki said:
    mothership1 Did you deliberately join the 'Cloud services with ridiculous names' club, or was it happy coincidence?

We're "GoodHosting" , so I guess we can't join the club :'(.

I'm going to go sulk on WHT now.