Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Garrisonhost Wildcard SSL
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Garrisonhost Wildcard SSL

ollietrexollietrex Member

I am looking around for a wildcard SSL certificate and found.

http://www.garrisonhost.com/ssl-certificates/alphassl.html

I normally use ssls.com but this company is way much cheaper for SSL certificates. Is it a case of you pay for what you get or would SSL certificates from this company for serving web traffic do the job?

Comments

• wychwych Member

Why not just get one from NameCheap, pickup a cheap .pw and then get a $1-2 SSL.

• zhuanyizhuanyi Member

@wych said:
    Why not just get one from NameCheap, pickup a cheap .pw and then get a $1-2 SSL.

Their wildcard SSL are not cheap at all...

• rmlhhdrmlhhd Member

IPXCore is still cheaper - $42

• zhuanyizhuanyi Member

@rmlhhd said:
    IPXCore is still cheaper - $42

Ah, they are actually way cheaper because what GarrisonHost was quoting is the 5 year price (max discount you can get from them), if you go to IPXCore and choose 3 years, price is actually only 40 per year.

http://ipxcore.com/ssl/

• wychwych Member

@zhuanyi said:

I missed the wildcard bit... nvm!

• I've gotten a wildcard ssl from them before, didn't have any issue with it.

• StevenNStevenN Member, Host Rep

We provide free 1 year wildcard SSL's with all our VPS starting at $3/month. You can cancel after first month if you want too. http://vmbox.co

• Soft advertisement?

• niceboyniceboy Veteran

I got a free wildcard with my box from vmbox..

• niceboyniceboy Veteran

I got a free wildcard with my box from vmbox..

• zhuanyizhuanyi Member

@VMbox said:
    We provide free 1 year wildcard SSL's with all our VPS starting at $3/month. You can cancel after first month if you want too. http://vmbox.co

I think you need to be careful with this one. The Singlehop SSLs are not supposed to be used outside of Singlehop networks and if they found out too many SSLs issues to you are being used outside of their network I am not sure what will happen.

Just a friendly suggestion, obviously I am not affiliated with Singlehop.

• kyakykyaky Member

sorry I thought it was something to do with Mr. Garrison when I saw the title.

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

I had one but keep in mind you.can't renew you have to buy new one which is really annoying.

• How can a company charge $42 for something and another company can afford to give them away for free on $3 plans? can't you generate your own SSL certificates anyway?

• hostnoob said: How can a company charge $42 for something and another company can afford to give them away for free on $3 plans?

Because of the ignorance of the general public.

• johnjohn Member
    edited May 2014

rmlhhd said: IPXCore is still cheaper - $42
    zhuanyi said: Ah, they are actually way cheaper because what GarrisonHost was quoting is the 5 year price (max discount you can get from them), if you go to IPXCore and choose 3 years, price is actually only 40 per year.

I think we're cheaper for 3 year certificates also. $105 for 3 year ($35/year).

hostnoob said: How can a company charge $42 for something and another company can afford to give them away for free on $3 plans? can't you generate your own SSL certificates anyway?

What @zhuanyi said. Certificates issued by GlobalSign for SingleHop should only be used on the SingleHop network.

To answer @ollietrex, we're a GlobalSign reseller so what you get through us is the same as compared to if you ordered from GlobalSign directly.

Garrison Network Solutions LLC runs SSDVirt and GarrisonHost.

• All our AlphaSSL certs are from @john, he's been nothing but a pleasure to do business with.

• VPNVPN Member

All mine are from @VMbox and he's a great guy.

@hostnoob said:
    How can a company charge $42 for something and another company can afford to give them away for free on $3 plans? can't you generate your own SSL certificates anyway?

Why would you want to use an untrusted certificate though? Surely the reason for wanting SSL is to verify to your customers/visitors that their information is being transported safely.

Nobody wants to see a yellow warning screen when they visit a site via HTTPS.

• Who decided that Comodo, Thawte, and GeoSign would be trusted certificate authorities, and why can't other businesses meet the same requirements and also gain the 'trusted' status?

• gutshotz said: Who decided that Comodo, Thawte, and GeoSign would be trusted certificate authorities, and why can't other businesses meet the same requirements and also gain the 'trusted' status?

Money, really.

Good luck getting browser vendors to add your cert.

• zhuanyizhuanyi Member

john said: I think we're cheaper for 3 year certificates also. $105 for 3 year ($35/year).

Either I can't read English or I can't do math, either way, my apologies...

• forthcloudforthcloud Member
    edited May 2014

@zhuanyi said:

I think they have a $149 deal (for 5 years) on WHT.