Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mothership1 - A new low priced cloud from CentriLogic and Incubaid
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Mothership1 - A new low priced cloud from CentriLogic and Incubaid

Comments

• Domain name sucks

• aoleeaolee Member

lol i thought it's a new pc game!

• sirmbhesirmbhe Member

mothercloud.com ? lol

• What is the difference between all these providers? Do they all use their own custom software or is there some generic software like OpenVZ?

• DigitalOcean does use a modified version of KVM.

Thanked by 1hostnoob
  • GunterGunter Member

HA + SAN Storage?

• GoodHostingGoodHosting Member
    edited May 2014

Windows == Double cost? (lol?)

The API is currently a rather terribly implemented direct copy of DigitalOceans'.

RAID level (if any) is currently rather dubious, can't confirm.

(in direct reply to @darknyan)
    No special storage tricks here, just some Samsung 840 PRO SSDs.

Waiting on approval of a few things before I can give out more specific information.

I'm rather concerned because CentriLogic has a past of false claims, such as them being the "First public cloud in Canada" being a rather large joke, Peer1 has been offering cloud services since 2008.

• tommytommy Member

canada and US only.
    weird domain name.

Most of 'cloud' provider only offer 1 vcore :) Traditional VPS provider still better

• HostNunHostNun Member

gonna refrain from posting a P-Funk youtube &/or image in this thread, hope this helps

Thanked by 1Maximum_VPS
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited May 2014

said: The Whir says they are motivated to beat AWS and Digital Ocean.

Not sure what sort of audacity makes them think they can simply be 1 USD more expensive than DO for less resources across all the most popular plans, and that's all fine and dandy.

Also only CA and US, and wants me to select the location at sign-up(!!! wtf). Branding is "interesting" to say the least, but at least it's something out of the ordinary, and not in the silliest way we've seen so far.

• Let's see how much committed they are.@serverian why don't you introduce your own cloud based service?

• GunterGunter Member

instatech said: @serverian why don't you introduce your own cloud based service?

Cloudive?

• instatechinstatech Member
    edited May 2014

@darknyan said:

Oh totally forgot about it anyway this mother cloud want to succeed when they are offering low specs with high price tag. Who will leave digitalocean or vultr to try them.

• @instatech said:

Maybe their I/O speed is 1MB/s faster than DO and Vultr.

• @hostnoob said:

slower**

• @hostnoob said:

I don't think so it will make any difference .Also they have poor branding,packages, only two locations, crappie UI and they are making big claims to defeating digitalocean they are daydreaming.

• @instatech said:

It will make a difference, It's all about the I/O speeds on LET!!!!

Thanked by 1eLohkCalb
  • GunterGunter Member
    edited May 2014

instatech said: Oh totally forgot about it

Yeah, there isn't much marketing for Cloudive. I've seen like two offers compared to ~4-6 for Winity, Backupsy, VPSDime, e.g.

I'd love to see more offers for Cloudive but serverian isn't allowed to post offers for a while on LET.

• rds100rds100 Member

The Cloudive name at least sounds nice, compared to all the other recently created clouds - like Vultr, wable and now this.

• There must be some fact or incident behind this "Mothership1". Normally giving name is confusing task.

• Shoaib_AShoaib_A Member
    edited May 2014

@tommy said:
    Most of 'cloud' provider only offer 1 vcore :) Traditional VPS provider still better

The pity is most of these "cloud" providers are fooling people by selling VPS on the name of cloud.And some people here always wanna be first to introduce it whenever such a "cloud" is launched.I highly doubt they themselves know what a cloud server actually is.Only a few of these "clouds" got cloud like features but still can't be called true cloud.

Thanked by 1tommy
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited May 2014

K2Bytes said: but still can't be called true cloud.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_true_Scotsman? :)

• @K2Bytes said:

What do you think a true cloud is? The whole cloud concept is based on a marketing buzz. Everyone can call their product anything. You think hourly billing and HA makes an infrastructure cloud? There is no cloud hosting. There is cloud computing which is a synonym for grid computing.

Where do you think the term VPS come from? Is it a scientific term for virtual machines? No, it is a marketing term just like the cloud. VPS term makes it look like you are on a non shared environment. But it's not in the actual world, is it?

Stop being so obsessive with terms in the hosting industry and look at the features. If you are covered feature wise then you are good.

• Shoaib_AShoaib_A Member
    edited May 2014

You can most of those see those who are looking for cloud i.e this latest thtreadhttp://lowendtalk.com/discussion/26983/could-you-recommend-some-cloud-vps#latest

have just heard the name of "cloud" & are not familiar with its features unless they are told by some of the knowledgeable fellows of this community.

• I signed up will try them sometime later.We really need new companies on this cloud business.More companies more advantage for consumer.

• @serverian said:
    Stop being so obsessive with terms in the hosting industry and look at the features. If you are covered feature wise then you are good.

Well VPS does give you isolation as compared to shared hosting? You use dedicated RAM, HDD etc

If word cloud is non-sense how would you differentiate between AWS & DO? Where DO are simply selling KVM vps on the name of cloud.Like someone else mentioned in another thread there is a very good definition of cloud infrastructure here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infrastructure_as_a_service#Infrastructure_as_a_service_.28IaaS.29

• BoxodeBoxode Member

Where can I purchase this video game? I can't find it on steam?

Thanked by 1jamson
  • I wouldn't trust an article which says Openstack is a hypervisor.

Amazon does things differently, Rackspace does things differently, Google Cloud does things differently. Yet, people call all of them cloud. Rackspace didn't have HA by itself, you had to configure it yourself last time I checked.

As I said, people are free to call their product whatever they want. Such as VPS, VDS, Droplet, Linode, Cloud VPS, Cloud Server...

As I said, what it matters is the features they offer and how those features relate to you.

• aoleeaolee Member

@viCommunications said:
    Where can I purchase this video game? I can't find it on steam?

it's still on beta, you need to register to be a lucky tester of this game.

mothership2 is on the way. ETA next year fall.

• Vultr is still cheaper than DO and this.