Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How do I use a failover IP? (SyS/OVH)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How do I use a failover IP? (SyS/OVH)

NickolaiNickolai Member
edited May 2014 in Help

So you Start (an OVH subsidary) is offering failover IP addresses with their dedicated servers (for €2/mo., maximum 5 IP's).

Now, IP addresses I'm familiar with; I have several with my Leaseweb dedicated server and I'm running different virtual machines on their own fixed IP's. SyS explains failover IP's here:

Make sure that your hosting system configuration is based on the failover IP and not on the fixed IP address of the server. This way, the entire configuration linked the FO IP will be saved on moving to another server.

1. How do I set up my CentOS system not to use the fixed IP address of the server?
  2. Will I be able to use these IP addresses as just additional, fixed Ip addresses?

Comments

• agoldenbergagoldenberg Member, Host Rep

The config is the same as an extra IP on a normal provider. OVH just calls theirs failover IPS.

• VPNVPN Member

I have an SYS server with 5 fail over IPs. I just added them in ifconfig as normally IPs but left the machines main IP as the one it was delivered with.

Thanked by 1trexos
  • NickolaiNickolai Member
    edited May 2014

@OkieDoke How are you using your 5 IP's?

I'm running virtual machines on their own fixed IP's, but I didn't configure host (or any other) machine with more than 1 IP.

• VPNVPN Member

Using them for game server purposes. No virtual machines or anything like that.

• @OkieDoke So, you configure ifconfig to use all of the IP's, plus you configure different servers to run at different ones, right?

• dabtechdabtech Member

This document may help clear things up a bit:
    http://help.ovh.co.uk/Proxmox

It's written for Proxmox, but pretty much applies to any virtual environment using OVH failover IP's. Basically, if you're using openvz then just assign the IP to the container and everything works.

If you're using true virtualization like KVM/Xen or even bridged openvz where VM's have their own mac address, you'll need to route that VM's traffic through the main IP of the host node or setup virtual mac addresses in OVH's control panel and assign them to the VM's to allow that VM's traffic on the network.

• DylanDylan Member

They're regular IPs. OVH just calls them failover IPs because you can move them between servers.

• @Dylan said:
    They're regular IPs. OVH just calls them failover IPs because you can move them between servers.

Actually they're called Failover IPs because if server's main IP is down due to any reason, your failover IP would take its place & all traffic would be routed via that.

• DylanDylan Member

K2Bytes said: Actually they're called Failover IPs because if server's main IP is down due to any reason, your failover IP would take its place & all traffic would be routed via that.

No, that's not how they work.

http://www.ovh.co.uk/dedicated_servers/ip_failover.xml

• OVH "IP Failover" == VLAN . Marketing terms to make you think you're getting something special, when really it's something that almost everyone provides standard...