Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

how to install wndows iso with vultr?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

how to install wndows iso with vultr?

vultr is becoming a wellknown kvm vps provider,further, it supports client upload windows iso,i try to install windows os with them,but cant make it successful,could you give me a tutorial?thanks

Thanked by 1lelewku

Comments

• kyakykyaky Member

you need to have a windows ISO first. use ultrISO unpack the image and add a virtio drive. that's how I did it. The catch is ,with virtio, you can't unmount the OS iso and load a virtio. that causes a reboot if you unmount it so you have to pack them together.

• wlcy001wlcy001 Member

so complicated

• myhkenmyhken Member

It takes 2 minutes with UltraISO. Just open the Windows .iso file in UltraISO. then add the virtIO files to a folder, then hit the save button.
    Then upload the .iso file, and then you are ready to go. No need for extracting the .iso file or do anything else, just open, add, save.

• seikanseikan Member
    edited May 2014

@wlcy001 This is how I install Windows 7 on my VULTR server.

1. Download a Windows .ISO, extract the contents into a folder (C:\Win7-x86) using 7-zip.
    2. Download the VirtIO driver and extract it to C:\Win7-x86\VirtIO\
    3. Download and install ImgBurn.
    4. Run ImgBurn, and select Mode > Build
    5. At the Source section, click the little icon "Browse for a folder" and select C:\Win7-x86
    6. At the Destination section, give it a name, I named it Win7x86_VirtIO.iso.
    7. Go to Options tab and change File System to UDF.
    8. Go to Advance > Bootable Disc tab, tick "Make Image Bootable".
    9. Boot Image: C:\Win7-x86\boot\etfsboot.com
    10. Developer ID: Microsoft Corporation
    11. Sectors to Load: 8
    12. Now click the "Build" icon at the bottom left to create your custom ISO.
    13. Upload the ISO created to VULTR, and boot it.
    14. In the Windows setup screen, click "Load driver" and select the VirtIO driver in the ISO.

Good luck :)

Tips: I created a new Windows 2012 server to do these. Just to speed up the download/upload speed. Destroy once it's done~

• Get your stones ready for it's time to start the "great necro bra" competition among yourselves who can stone me the most for a holy necro.

I know this discussion as dead as stone, but I found it useful and have bookmarked it as I spent yesterday afternoon fighting with windows server 2008 isos for vultr trial period.

I've tried k3b on ubuntu xcfe desktop over vnc, but it turned out those isos weren't bootable either.

Then I tried this Imgburn linked in your comment and it wanted to install opencandy malware with it. I somehow formerly installed it and it kept hijacking my firefox new tabs to bing.com/?some_fucking_long_tracking_or_referral_string.

Then found this here:
    http://alternativeto.net/software/imgburn/comments/

As of May 2015, the latest version 2.5.8.0 installer will include the adware/spamware/malware OpenCandy with no option to stop it!
    Earlier versions included checkboxes under "Custom"/"Advanced" installation settings to opt out installing any of this adware/spamware/malware. This is no longer available!

Norton Antivirus has now marked this software as a malware and rightly so!

The only way to avoid install the malware is, as claimed on the OpenCandy website, is to either
    - disconnect your system from the internet during installation
    - include "/NOCANDY" switch in the command line in executing the installer
    - configure your router to block all "*.opencandy.com" connections

All of which are complex steps beyond the average system user who would unknowingly install this software which is intentionally inserting malware into their system *with absolutely no acknowledgement or even notification of it except in the bottom half of the 'Terms & Conditions' documentation.

DO NOT RECOMMEND OR PROMOTE THIS SOFTWARE to anyone who isn't capable of the above steps!

Even so, there is the lack of trust for such statements from a company who's profits rests on the concept of (and has a history of) developing malware with rootkits and hijacking user's systems without consent. 

I'll see how it goes or blows.

@seikan http://www.lowendtalk.com/profile/709/seikan
    @wlcy001 This is how I install Windows 7 on my VULTR server.

Download a Windows .ISO, extract the contents into a folder (C:\Win7-x86) using 7-zip.
        Download the VirtIO driver and extract it to C:\Win7-x86\VirtIO\
        Download and install ImgBurn.
        Run ImgBurn, and select Mode > Build
        At the Source section, click the little icon "Browse for a folder" and select C:\Win7-x86
        At the Destination section, give it a name, I named it Win7x86_VirtIO.iso.
        Go to Options tab and change File System to UDF.
        Go to Advance > Bootable Disc tab, tick "Make Image Bootable".
        Boot Image: C:\Win7-x86\boot\etfsboot.com
        Developer ID: Microsoft Corporation
        Sectors to Load: 8
        Now click the "Build" icon at the bottom left to create your custom ISO.
        Upload the ISO created to VULTR, and boot it.
        In the Windows setup screen, click "Load driver" and select the VirtIO driver in the ISO.

Good luck :)

Tips: I created a new Windows 2012 server to do these. Just to speed up the download/upload speed. Destroy once it's done~

• Easy way, check my signature! :P

• getvps said: Easy way, check my signature! :P

i just did, seems very long and using imgburn is pointless, just use poweriso and add the files. saves messing about with boot image etc

Thanked by 2getvps GM2015