Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's your experience with ChicagoVPS? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What's your experience with ChicagoVPS?

Comments

• LeeLee Veteran

@ksubedi said:
    Angry troll rant.

I only comment negatively where there is justification.

• @W1V_Lee said:

Yeah whatever dude. I don't have time to argue with people like you who just like to go to every thread and post nothing useful.

Thanked by 10xdragon
  • have been with ChicagoVPS for more than 3 years now. Never disapointed. Issues are resolved quickly when I have them ( which is not often ) . I can vouch for Luc from support/billing . He his always responding well to all my tickets over the years ( beeing rdns, migration, billing questions, etc… )

I think people need to learn how to speak with support and need to understand that you are not the only problem they have. Good explanation in a ticket and not always being defensive will get you nicer support anywhere. I come from the hosting industrie so I know how it is.

I just renewed for another long period all my vps with them. Couldn’t be more happy ( well ipv6 will be nice ;) ) .

• @larivee said:
    have been with ChicagoVPS for more than 3 years now. Never disapointed. Issues are resolved quickly when I have them ( which is not often ) . I can vouch for Luc from support/billing . He his always responding well to all my tickets over the years ( beeing rdns, migration, billing questions, etc… )

I think people need to learn how to speak with support and need to understand that you are not the only problem they have. Good explanation in a ticket and not always being defensive will get you nicer support anywhere. I come from the hosting industrie so I know how it is.

I just renewed for another long period all my vps with them. Couldn’t be more happy ( well ipv6 will be nice ;) ) .

I agree, they have been great.

Same here, waiting for IPv6; for now i'm tunneling through HE.

• Here is my bench with them, I use this server on a regular basis, and the uptime here is validated with 3rd party tools like anturis, pingdom and uptimerobot

CPU model :  Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1240 V2 @ 3.40GHz
    Number of cores : 4
    CPU frequency :  3401.000 MHz
    Total amount of ram : 2048 MB
    Total amount of swap : 0 MB
    System uptime :   153 days, 3:04,
    Download speed from CacheFly: 74.2MB/s
    Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 22.0MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 17.5MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 12.5MB/s
    Download speed from i3d.net, Rotterdam, NL: 8.35MB/s
    Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 7.06MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 7.14MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 21.7MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 13.3MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 14.6MB/s
    I/O speed :  283 MB/s

• twhiting9275twhiting9275 Member
    edited April 2014

Don't even bother with these guys
    CLUELESS support
    HOURS of downtime
    MASSIVE problems

Sure, the hardware tests are good, but their stability is just anything but.

Just since February:

1. 2/28 – 4 hours down
    2. 3/2 – 2+ hours down, node itself abused, service unusable for the entire day
    3. 3/24 – 3+ hours down
    4. 3/25 – 5 hours down
    5. 3/31 – multi-hour downtime
    6. 4/13 – 30 minutes down

Save yourself the hassle, find someone else to host your stuff with

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@twhiting9275 Which location is that in fella?

• twhiting9275twhiting9275 Member
    edited April 2014

@Nekki said:
    twhiting9275 Which location is that in fella?

Pick one. This isn't just ONE node, or ONE location, this is spread across all of their nodes

• agoldenbergagoldenberg Member, Host Rep

I've had several dedicated servers from ChicagoVPS and could not be happier. Their network is fantastic, their support is pretty good when dealing with @CVPS_Mark or @CVPS_Adam. They are both good guys who will do whatever they can to help you out.

Kudos.

• LeeLee Veteran

So have you got multiple VPS in different locations all with downtime? Your two previous posts don't really match.

• @twhiting9275 said:
    Don't even bother with these guys
    CLUELESS support
    HOURS of downtime
    MASSIVE problems

Sure, the hardware tests are good, but their stability is just anything but.

Just since February:

1. 2/28 – 4 hours down
    2. 3/2 – 2+ hours down, node itself abused, service unusable for the entire day
    3. 3/24 – 3+ hours down
    4. 3/25 – 5 hours down
    5. 3/31 – multi-hour downtime
    6. 4/13 – 30 minutes down

Save yourself the hassle, find someone else to host your stuff with

I've been seeing the same things recently...

• I currently have 2 servers with them (in Chicago and NJ) for over a year now and haven't had any issues at all.

• akzakz Member

they got better for a bit after the hack, but I find every few weeks or so my VM randomly shuts down and goes offline and I always have to manually start it back up. Kind of annoying esp when their support always says "dunno" lol other than that its a fine test box.

• I was about to rack up 50 days of uptime, then the node I was on goes offline...

Not sure what happened, besides that, great service for the price.

• gracagraca Member

for me ChicagoVPS falls under my good host list, have 2 VPS with them (LA) and both are doing great so far.

• RophRoph Member

There's a lot of controversy surrounding them. I bought one of their yearly offers once and it was ok. I got permission to run a source gameserver on it and at first thought the issues I was having were due to resources, but it happened even on a dedicated machine. They still moved me to a new, empty node to test things.

Performance was ok, not chart topping but not awful either. Bandwidth left something to be desired, but as I'm on the other side of the atlantic, meh. In the end I didn't renew it, for no other reason than I didn't need another LEB, let alone one with those resources. No hard feelings.

• Mine is up for long time and with no issues

top - 20:49:32 up 79 days, 3:22, 1 user, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00 Tasks: 24 total, 2 running, 22 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie Cpu(s): 0.2%us, 0.1%sy, 0.0%ni, 99.7%id, 0.0%wa, 0.0%hi, 0.0%si, 0.1%st Mem: 2097152k total, 32216k used, 2064936k free, 0k buffers Swap: 0k total, 0k used, 0k free, 19972k cached

It is a yearly 2GB ssd

My other yearly with cvps is up 12 days because of a reboot I did due to change to a control panel

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran
    uptime
     17:51:11 up 131 days, 20:09,  1 user,  load average: 0.06, 0.07, 0.07

Buffalo

Thanked by 1ErawanArifNugroho
  • @netomx said:

> uptime
    >  17:51:11 up 131 days, 20:09,  1 user,  load average: 0.06, 0.07, 0.07
    > 

Buffalo

You people are making me jelly with your uptimes... :/

• I've had a VPS up for almost half a year now with them that runs a Minecraft server for some friends.

I had another VPS with them that I canceled because it was suffering major packet loss. They claimed they were submitting a ticket with their upstream, but I haven't heard anything back in like 4 months from that.

• I recently purchased a Vps from CVPS. It works fine. However, I have not received a single email from them. It shows they sent emails but l have never received from them. I even changed the email address. Same thing. It is no a junk mail issue. I am using these email addresses all the time. I have opened a ticket for almost a week now. They just cannot find what is wrong.

• Much of their IP space was listed with spamhaus. Their messages are probably getting filtered or rejected.

Thanked by 1twinclouds
  • @twinclouds said:
    I recently purchased a Vps from CVPS. It works fine. However, I have not received a single email from them. It shows they sent emails but l have never received from them. I even changed the email address. Same thing. It is no a junk mail issue. I am using these email addresses all the time. I have opened a ticket for almost a week now. They just cannot find what is wrong.

I recommend not using ColoCrossing related hosts as a mail server.

Thanked by 1tux
  • Been with them for over a year, and never had any problem

top - 01:06:23 up 59 days
    CPU model :  Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1240 V2 @ 3.40GHz
    Number of cores : 4
    CPU frequency :  3399.795 MHz
    Total amount of ram : 2048 MB
    Total amount of swap : 0 MB
    System uptime :   59 days, 1:51,
    Download speed from CacheFly: 59.8MB/s
    Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 1.34MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 19.6MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 5.15MB/s
    Download speed from i3d.net, Rotterdam, NL: 8.94MB/s
    Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 44.6MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 6.84MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 21.0MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 21.2MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 27.7MB/s
    I/O speed :  496 MB/s

• @joereid said:
    Much of their IP space was listed with spamhaus. Their messages are probably getting filtered or rejected.

That was Chris told me. Is there anything I can do about it? I just don't fee comfortable that I need log in to contact them. Once they changed my password because I changed my email address based on their suggestion. I had very difficult time to restore the contact. To his credit, Chris actually called me to help reset the password over phone.

• @eddynetweb said:
    I recommend not using ColoCrossing related hosts as a mail server.

Is this related to their email server or mine? Is there anything I can do to help fixing the problem?

• eddynetwebeddynetweb Member
    edited August 2014

twinclouds said: Is this related to their email server or mine? Is there anything I can do to help fixing the problem?

You need clean IP's; move to another host or use Mandrill.

• eddynetweb said: I recommend not using ColoCrossing related hosts as a mail server.

I use one, just using mailgun as relay and ... voila! No problem with problematic ips.

• @jvnadr said:
    I use one, just using mailgun as relay and ... voila! No problem with problematic ips.

That works too.

• @eddynetweb said:
    You need clean IP's; move to another host or use Mandrill.

You mean my hotmail ip? My hotmail account works for anybody else except CVPS. So it should not be my email address problem, right. In addition, how I can change my hotmail ip address, I think it is controlled by Microsoft.