Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vultr Terminated my Account. Does this seem reasonable to anyone? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Vultr Terminated my Account. Does this seem reasonable to anyone?

Comments

• princeshokoprinceshoko Member
    edited April 2014

@Just_A_noob well credits didn't come from his personal funds he cant charge back something he didn't pay.

Law? Damn the law. And the cops that go with it.

Piracy makes the world go round, take it from me. I work for the movie studios.

• @jarland said:
    No shortage of drama here still I see.

Anyone say it's a "slap in the face" yet?

I'll defend the OP, since I still can't find any section in the TOS/AUP or torrenting, and while I can't speak for the OP I can say that everything I grab from BTN is stuff that Cartoon Network already gives away freely and they'd never bother DMCAing it

ignore princeshoko

Thanked by 1jar
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@texteditor well I mean that's because you're reasonable and you're right, but the over dramatic people make me laugh. I'm not sure I want to ignore the princess guy though, he supports piracy in full, I'd like to go through his stuff and see if I want anything since he leaves his doors unlocked and lets people take what they want.

• @jarland indeed I do. Haven't locked my doors in 10 years. Dont even close the front door for the past 4 years.

• Thanked by 1darkshire
  • @princeshoko said:
    jarland indeed I do. Haven't locked my doors in 10 years. Dont even close the front door for the past 4 years.

hmm but arent you concerned about pests and insects ?

• most houses have outter door made of glass and a front door.

• You broke the tos (rules) and your moaning? Or am i wrong?

• OpZeOpZe Member

@sz1hosting said:
    You broke the tos (rules) and your moaning? Or am i wrong?

That pretty much somes it up, I was just giving others some warning and moaning that they didn't even give me a chance to save my files on completely unrelated server to the server where the offence occurred. Also them not refunding any of my unused credit.

Thanked by 2darkshire Maounique
  • Still kindah ironic lol, but yeh you get credit something should be done about that and maybe the files though breaking the rules is like slapping them in the face.

• still waiting on an official statement from Vultur and its public spokesmouth, @Dave{NS}A

• OpZeOpZe Member
    edited April 2014

@darkshire said:
    still waiting on an official statement from Vultur and its public spokesmouth, Dave{NS}A

I'm also waiting on some form of reply to the ticket I sent them regarding this.

Also looks like the ip of one of my servers is already being used, so I'd guess that my data is long gone. (Still have partial week old backups)

Bit of a shame and lucky at the same time, I was planning to move around $200/month worth of services over to them (Australian Servers), but had to wait an extra month due to being stuck in a contract, feeling somewhat lucky, but also really annoyed now :(

@darkshire said:
    still waiting on an official statement from Vultur and its public spokesmouth, Dave{NS}A

Did you contact him?

• @jarland said:
    Did you contact him?

no i have not myself, im hoping the multiple pings in this thread would rustle someone from vultur from their slumber.

• Are you going to tell your clients their websites were down because you were downloading personal video from the server? :)

Best keep that one quiet.

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

OpZe said: But I still think it would have been more appropriate to contact me first referencing their AUP, and I would have happily removed the servers if this was going to be the outcome.

The problem is that this becomes a license to violate until caught.

But seriously: you're running a business on vultr? They've been around for...two months?

And then...

OpZe said: (Still have partial week old backups)

...you don't even back it up?

Thanked by 3Maounique netomx marrco
  • OpZeOpZe Member

@raindog308 said:
    ...you don't even back it up?

Not offsite regularly unfortunately, needless to say I'll be implementing something now.

Although I would have never expected them or any host for that matter to just delete all my servers without warning.

• lazytlazyt Member

Yeesh don't read the threads much do you? Seems like most hosts/DC's terminate the account and everything on it when stuff like this happens. Just look around on here and WHT, it's a common theme.

• tommytommy Member

I'm interesting in @DaveA respond ;) Because I save backup of my backup server there.

• lazytlazyt Member
    edited April 2014

Considering that this was posted originally at 8:32PM on a Friday night we all may have to wait a bit.

edited April 2014

@tommy said:
    I'm interesting in DaveA respond ;) Because I save backup of my backup server there.

Are you worried that your backups will be terminated for being active torrents?

Thanked by 1lazyt
  • @tommy said:
    I'm interesting in DaveA respond ;) Because I save backup of my backup server there.

do you download illegal content with that server?

Thanked by 3jar lazyt tux
  • princeshokoprinceshoko Member
    edited April 2014

@hostnoob You should ask if the content is illegal in the location of the server. Because whats illegal in one place, isn't illegal in another.

Im very curious to see if more to this we're not aware of yet. Keep hoping to see a post by @DaveA

• BradBrad Member

I think we should all stop tagging Dave now.

Thanked by 2netomx Dave
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Prometeus/Iperweb does not terminate all servers for one violation, unless it is payment issue and all were paid with same stolen account. However, if it happens again on another server, then that is it, we also do not tolerate multiple accounts since there is no reason for that, we do not terminate all AND we do not impose any penalty for not paying the bills except terminate the service which went unpaid.
    This is a minority view, I know, still, it does not mean everyone does this, just check with the provider before.

• @Maounique you are too nice and people will try to exploit this.
    With us, if a user can't be botherred to click on a "request cancellation" button and just abandons his service without paying the bills, we usually do not allow this user to order anything from us in the future. Well, in some cases we might make exceptions, but generally this is the rule.

• tommytommy Member

jarland said: Are you worried that your backups will be terminated for being active torrents?

no :) I just wonder if they scan their customer VPS. I used my vps to backup my website/email data, never use for torrent.

hostnoob said: do you download illegal content with that server?

No I don't. I don't use my server for any torrent activity.

edited April 2014

tommy said: I just wonder if they scan their customer VPS

Well according to the OP they terminated him for bittorrent, so unless they say otherwise the logical assumption is that they terminated him for bittorrent. If they terminated for a copyright violation, they should have said that, but it sounds like they didn't. So there's really no basis for assuming that they were snooping on his VPS. If they had to snoop in the VPS to tell that he was torrenting, they would not likely have the knowledge of how to snoop on the file system of a running KVM. It's not hard, but it's harder than taking a quick glance at network activity.

Sounds to me like they just need to add torrenting to their policy.

• tommy said: no :) I just wonder if they scan their customer VPS. I used my vps to backup my website/email data, never use for torrent.

With all due respect, but wouldn't it be better to contact support about this? Or did you already try that?

Thanked by 2tommy RLT
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

rds100 said: @Maounique you are too nice and people will try to exploit this.

Well, it is not really only niceness, I do forget to cancel and I know how it is. People do get 2 more days out of the service, but if they are so short on cash that 2 days is worth reinstalling and all the trouble, OK, we are not Harpagons, wont get a pound of flesh. Not to mention the applications stay up to date and we get less of a worry about hacking. This also means there is no justification for multiple accounts and we specifically stopped any promo for new customers, instead orienting towards existing customers with free stuff and even extra credit at times. I have all the reasons to terminate any multis I find or to deny service to those which try to open another account, going as far as asking to leave on repeat offences.