Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How many Windows guest machines would fit in cramped a online.net DEDIBOX® MD 2014?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How many Windows guest machines would fit in cramped a online.net DEDIBOX® MD 2014?

I'm asking this for the people that already have experience in hosting Windows KVM VMs and has a notion of that's too overkill or not.

This isn't for selling or to provide a hosting service, it's for my own project.

I need as many Windows KVM guest machines as possible in a server, with acceptable performance. They can all have minimum resources, and need to simply be running a software (similar to data mining) for a theoretical project.

The DEDIBOX® MD 2014 has a Xeon E3 1230v3, 32GB of RAM and I plan to get the SSD version, which has 2x 120GB SSDs in hardware RAID1.

I'm planing to use Windows XP, for obvious reasons.

Now, if I create 64 KVM guests with 512mb of RAM, all sharing 100% of the CPU, would it be too overkill? It's definitely doable with Linux, but I'm not sure about Windows.. The software that will be running on them is not too CPU intensive, I plan to mine on every guest. Mining speed is not relevant, I just need each guest to be part of a single mining pool.

Thanks!

Comments

• wychwych Member

@vmunich said:
    I plan to mine on every guest. Mining speed is not relevant, I just need each guest to be part of a single mining pool.

can the software not run under linux?

I cant understand how its profitable to CPU mine... let alone with the overheads of 64 windows installs.

• @wych said:
    I cant understand how its profitable to CPU mine... let alone with the overheads of 64 windows installs.

It's not supposed to be profitable, it's to prove a point, for college.
    The software was done in Visual Basic (sigh..) so it needs to be Windows :/

• wychwych Member

@vmunich said:

ahhhhh ok... just dont run the installs for them all at once

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

vmunich said: done in Visual Basic (sigh..) so it needs to be Windows :/

VB being a popular/old/well-known runtime, should run okay in WINE.

• I have a couple issues with what you posted... It could be that I don't fully understand the idea here.

Windows xp: The min hard drive and basic OS is what? 10gb? 15gb? so 10gb x 32 = 320gbs. Your SSD idea is invalid at that point. The host needs room in RAM and disk to just be alive.
    Your best bet? Do a VMware ESXi or server OS or do Microsoft hyper-v (2008 enterprise license or better) and do the guests that way. You'll still run out of disk space before RAM though.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited April 2014

Slider said: Windows xp: The min hard drive and basic OS is what? 10gb? 15gb?

"Your funny".

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314865

At least 1.5 gigabytes (GB) of available space on the hard disk

• blackblack Member

@vmunich said:

Have you tried mono?

• @rm_ said:

At least 1.5 gigabytes (GB) of available space on the hard disk

True, but ever try installing up to sp3 and .net framework 4 on 1.5gbs? It grows to 10gbs easily with all that. Barebones OS? yeah 1.5GBs

• BK_BK_ Member

Slider said: True, but ever try installing up to sp3 and .net framework 4 on 1.5gbs? It grows to 10gbs easily with all that. Barebones OS? yeah 1.5GBs

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947311
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/download/details.aspx?id=17718

Looks like no more than two or three gigs extra?

• VisualBasic.NET? Mono will run it no problem. I do all of my .NET dev on a Mac with Xamarin, Mono is about as good as the real thing now.

• @wych said:
    ahhhhh ok... just dont run the installs for them all at once

Got it, I will poblably install one VM, and then duplicate it several times.

@Slider said:
    I have a couple issues with what you posted... It could be that I don't fully understand the idea here.

Windows xp: The min hard drive and basic OS is what? 10gb? 15gb? so 10gb x 32 = 320gbs. Your SSD idea is invalid at that point. The host needs room in RAM and disk to just be alive.
    Your best bet? Do a VMware ESXi or server OS or do Microsoft hyper-v (2008 enterprise license or better) and do the guests that way. You'll still run out of disk space before RAM though.

Is VMware free version capable of doing that?
    I honestly don't think each VM will use more than 2gb of space though.

@rm_ said:
    VB being a popular/old/well-known runtime, should run okay in WINE.

Performance wise, is it better to run in on wine under a Linux machine, or better to just use Windows?

@black said:
    Have you tried mono?

I will check it out, but I don't have access to the source code of the software though..

• AThomasHoweAThomasHowe Member
    edited April 2014

vmunich said: I will check it out, but I don't have access to the source code of the software though..

apt-get (or yum or pacman or whatever) install mono-runtime

mono your.exe

:)