Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ARIN down to 1.00 /8
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ARIN down to 1.00 /8

AmfyAmfy Member

ARIN is down to 1.00 /8. AKAMAI received 104.64.0.0/10. A /10...

Thanked by 1Janevski

Comments

• What? That was fast...

• Could someone explain me why they would need 4 million IPv4 addresses??

Thanked by 1tux
  • I think all the ipv6 fans should celebrate this day :)

• That's huge!

NetRange:       104.64.0.0 - 104.127.255.255
    CIDR:           104.64.0.0/10
    OriginAS:
    NetName:        AKAMAI
    NetHandle:      NET-104-64-0-0-1
    Parent:         NET-104-0-0-0-0
    NetType:        Direct Allocation
    RegDate:        2014-04-22
    Updated:        2014-04-22
    Ref:            http://whois.arin.net/rest/net/NET-104-64-0-0-1

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

How the hell did they justify 4 million IPs, considering all the shortage..

Thanked by 2MonsteR tux
  • @Alex_LiquidHost said:

Well, money makes the world go round?

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited April 2014

rds100 said: I think all the ipv6 fans should celebrate this day :)

There still doesn't seem to be any official announcements or press-releases, I think that's because although the Phase 4 of https://www.arin.net/resources/request/ipv4_countdown.html should start now, it means much less than at RIPE, for example, there is no limitation of "only one /22 per LIR".

• @rm_ they still have more than 1 /8 left, it just appears as 1.00 due to rounding.
    I think Phase 4 will start in a few days.

And yes, they don't have "only one /22 per LIR", but this should only speed up the depletion of the remaining /8 as everyone will try to rush and get as much as they can before it all runs out.

edited April 2014

Found a nice article from the last year, also correctly predicting the current event date to "mid-April 2014" http://www.circleid.com/posts/20130724_exactly_when_is_arin_going_to_run_out_of_ipv4_addresses/

Thanked by 1rds100
  • AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

@rds100 said:
    And yes, they don't have "only one /22 per LIR", but this should only speed up the depletion of the remaining /8 as everyone will try to rush and get as much as they can before it all runs out.

And shortly after that it will become really interesting on the LEB market :)

• I understand Akamai is CDN, but 4 million. Phew. Maybe 100,000 for like a HUUGE roll out, but that's astronomical. Maybe they plan on IPv4 brokering?

• @Alex_LiquidHost said:

They justify it with: http://www.prolexic.com I guess. This service needs a LOT of IPv4.

• Floris said: They justify it with: http://www.prolexic.com I guess. This service needs a LOT of IPv4.

4 million? If you need 4 million IP's you're doing something wrong.

• @rethinkvps said:
    4 million? If you need 4 million IP's you're doing something wrong.

What if 4 million things need DDoS prot?

rethinkvps said: If you need 4 million IP's you're doing something wrong.

At this point it's not how many you need, it's how many you can justify (= make ARIN believe "you need").

Thanked by 1mpkossen
  • rethinkvps said: 4 million? If you need 4 million IP's you're doing something wrong.

But if you can get them then you're doing something right ;-)

• @Spirit, considering they are just a CDN company... I don't think they send out SPAM mails.

Well, I think they are doing something right and wrong at the same time. shrugs

• wychwych Member

@rm_ said:
    There still doesn't seem to be any official announcements or press-releases, I think that's because although the Phase 4 of should start now".

https://www.arin.net/announcements/2014/20140423.html

• This is good, when IPv4 runs out VPSes will be so cheap :D

• udkudk Member

hostnoob said: This is good, when IPv4 runs out VPSes will be so cheap :D

Won't it be the complete opposite?

Thanked by 2Pwner netomx
  • @udk said:
    Won't it be the complete opposite?

I mean, when everything is switched over to IPv6 there will be no more "We have to charge a minmum of $x because of the cost of the IP"

More VPSes will be priced like lowendspirit

• udkudk Member

IPv6 only is a long way off yet

• concerto49concerto49 Member
    edited April 2014

hostnoob said: I mean, when everything is switched over to IPv6 there will be no more "We have to charge a minmum of $x because of the cost of the IP"

No. Even when IPs deplete from ARIN they won't run out so it won't happen.

• I can see places starting to price IPv4 higher because of this.

• @chrisp said:
    Well, money makes the world go round?

They pay next to nothing for those IPs.

• @blackfoxltd said:
    I can see places starting to price IPv4 higher because of this.

I wouldn't expect huge price increases due to ARIN entering Stage 4. Stage 4 is basically the same as Stage 3, most IPv4 allocation requests will just likely involve a longer processing time and more information required (which they have already been doing). It's not the same as RIPE's Stage 4 where they limited requests to /22's at a time.

• @hostnoob said:
    I mean, when everything is switched over to IPv6 there will be no more "We have to charge a minmum of $x because of the cost of the IP"

I doubt many providers are going to give up that revenue stream.

• hostnoobhostnoob Member
    edited April 2014

@Microlinux said:
    I doubt many providers are going to give up that revenue stream.

When every ISP supports IPv6, IPv4 will be worthless.

Edit: oh you mean they will charge for additional IPs anyway? That's true but prices should still be cheaper.

• PwnerPwner Member

@hostnoob said:
    When every ISP supports IPv6, IPv4 will be worthless.

No way, it is much easier to remember 1.2.3.4 instead of FE80::0202:B3FF:FE1E:8329. It makes me curious however, what will gaming communities do when they run servers on different ports of IPv6? All the games will need to be re-programmed for IPv6 compatibility.

Either way, I feel the simplicity and scarcity of an IPv4 address (in comparison to IPv6) will raise its value and make it more expensive to obtain one.

• IPv4 is going to hang around for quite a while. Until EVERY ISP (effectively) supports IPv6 and consumers are able to use it properly, IPv4 will still be in use. Home consumer gear probably won't support IPv6 fully for a while. Newer stuff supports it just fine, BUT old stuff still works just fine. What really needs to happen is sites need to be FORCED to support IPv6 only. Only then will ISPs really start pushing out IPv6 support to end-users.