Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Intel Haswell Refresh and 9 Series H97 / Z97 Chipset Date Confirmed
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Intel Haswell Refresh and 9 Series H97 / Z97 Chipset Date Confirmed

wychwych Member

Basically the Intel 9 Series Chipset Z97 and H97 will be launching along with the Haswell Refresh lineup. The Devils Canyon ‘K’ Unlocked Haswell Refresh will be following along with their Pentium ‘K’ counterparts on the second day of June 2014.

Source

Comments

• Looking forward to Haswell-EP E5s

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@Virtovo said:
    Looking forward to Haswell-EP E5s

Ja, but I read it was not going to be out until September 2014 or so.

• @Infinity said:
    Ja, but I read it was not going to be out until September 2014 or so.

Indeed. I think it's officially set for Q4

Thanked by 1Infinity
  • CoreyCorey Member

How big of a performance gain are we looking at here?

• jmginerjmginer Member, Patron Provider

Did not increase the number of cores.

• retryretry Member

@Corey said:
    How big of a performance gain are we looking at here?

Just a 100mhz diff.

• wychwych Member

@retry said:
    Just a 100mhz diff.

Clock for Clock probably a slight increase, however I expect most of the changes are for Power Efficiency etc.

• CoreyCorey Member

wych said: Clock for Clock probably a slight increase, however I expect most of the changes are for Power Efficiency etc.

I'm confused about the intel release cycle now, why are they releasing updates so often?

• @Corey these are not really updates. They are the same CPU, just some of them clocked a little higher and some of them with unlocked multiplier, so can be easily overclocked. Other than that nothing has changed in the CPUs, compared to the already existing Haswells.

• Corey said: I'm confused about the intel release cycle now, why are they releasing updates so often?

Many people enjoy shelling out money for shiny new objects, whether they actually need them or not.

• I built my PC last year and I put an older generation chip in it (i7 3770k) because (at least from my limited research at the time, the chips were very new) as I had a good graphics card and as far as I could tell, there was the usual 10%ish performance boost but at worse temperatures down to the newer and more advanced GPUs, which I didn't need.

I still haven't over clocked it as the 3770k is still very fast at stock (although I will probably do it before the chip is retired) but I felt I could probably get a higher stable clock speed on the older chip that would balance out the small performance boost over generations.

Maybe that's changed this gen though or maybe the preliminary research I read was just wrong or bias. I am pretty happy either way.