Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why Paypal not supported in some countries?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Why Paypal not supported in some countries?

Here is list of countries in which Paypal is not supported.

Antarctica
Afghanistan
Cote D'ivoire
Cuba
Belarus
Bouvet Island
British Indian Ocean Territory
Cameroon
Central African Republic
Christmas Island
Equatorial Guinea
Haiti
Heard Island and Mcdonald Islands
Iran, Islamic Republic of
Iraq
Korea, Democratic People's Republic of
Lao People's Democratic Republic
Lebanon
Liberia
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya
Myanmar
Nigeria
Pakistan
Papua New Guinea
Serbia and Montenegro
Sudan
Syrian Arab Republic
Zimbabwe

What would be the reason for that? Discrimination or what?

Comments

• said: What would be the reason for that?

High fraud rates, government corruption, banking laws, etc.

• The biggest is high fraud rates as ChrisMiller stated.

Some are none as "terrorist" related/support countries.

For example, Zimbabwe, never accept a bank transfer from clients there! :)

Learned this lesson the hard way as it sends up a red flag.

Government corruption is the next big reason why in many countries.

• MrXMrX Member

It's a combination of risk assessment (risk of money laundering, proceeds from or funding of terrorism/crime, fraud), international sanctions, trade embargoes, and unattractive regulation.

Some of the territories listed above are uninhabited or have a near-zero internet penetration.

• Shoaib_AShoaib_A Member
    edited April 2014

I had asked them this question directly about Pakistan sometime ago & they had replied Because of the banking system of your country.

• ahmiqahmiq Member

@K2Bytes said:
    I had asked them this question directly about Pakistan sometime ago & they had replied Because of the banking system of your country.

hmmph!

• JyleeJylee Member, Host Rep

You missed Macau. Some of my friends from Macau complain that they have to go to Hong Kong or China mainland to open a Paypal account. Maybe Macau is so small that Paypal does not want to support.

• Fraud and laws, generally.

• said: Indian Ocean Territory

MrX said: Some of the territories listed above are uninhabited

Or there is a very low population there! And maybe like base-camp!

Thanked by 1boernd
  • Mahfuz_SS_EHLMahfuz_SS_EHL Host Rep, Veteran

Bangladesh is also in the list

Thanked by 1boernd
  • Mostly U.S. Government sanctions.

Thanked by 1Shoaib_A
  • MrXMrX Member

Liam said: Who from Bouvet would want a Paypal account? The penguins? To order their sardines in?

www.sardines.bv doesn't exist. Now's my chance to become an internet billionaire!

• K2Bytes said:

Is this from them directly or did you read this somewhere? I asked them directly and they responded with a cookie cutter email. They said something to the effect that they are always looking to expand to new countries but don't have a specific date for when they will make their services available in Pakistan. That was in 2005/2006.

Paypal is not going to support Pakistan but we now have an alternative that is rapidly catching on. Bitcoin is going to make them irrelevant.

BTW the list in the OP is laughably incomplete. There are only about 30-40 countries on the planet that can send, receive and withdraw money using paypal. The rest can do some of those things but not all. So you have countries where you can send money but not receive or withdraw. Then there are countries where you can send and receive but not withdraw. Paypal used to have a breakdown on their site but now they don't list it all in one place. Just empty boasts about supporting 190 countries.

• Bouvet Island is a Norway :) List of these countries might been called - Real Offshore :)

• user123user123 Member
    edited April 2014

You sure do have to be careful about all the fraud, government corruption, and banking regulations in Antarctica :P. Damn scientists... lol

• @Abdussamad said:

I had asked this to them directly about a couple of years ago.Since SBP is making major changes to banking system now which includes a central interconnected system just like the banks in EU have so that might change things in the future.We should always hope for the best :)

• K2Bytes said: I had asked this to them directly about a couple of years ago.Since SBP is making major changes to banking system now which includes a central interconnected system just like the banks in EU have so that might change things in the future.We should always hope for the best :)

That will be relief to the developers in Pakistan who are missing international payment gateway.