Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A better way to deal with "Resource abuse" clients?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

A better way to deal with "Resource abuse" clients?

VDS6VDS6 Member

Hey everyone,

We have started to get a lot of resource abusers lately, mostly CPU and network.
Where do normally companies draw the line and say bye bye to the "resource abuser"?
We have been getting clients with high load averages from 5-7 lately and up to 30+ "la"s and network abusers who managed to use up to 800mbit/s for 2-3 hours a day.

Do you guys suspend them first time and issue a notice? Or do you say bye bye right away? How many notices do you use? and so on, so on.

I was just looking for an advice and opinion how to deal with "resource abusers".

Thank you for advice.

Comments

• Installing Nodewatch in every node will help you.

• VDS6VDS6 Member
    edited April 2014

@IntroNet said:
    Installing Nodewatch in every node will help you.

I was actually trying to get an opinion on where and when to draw the line and say bye bye to the customer. How many notices to send and what sort of violation fee to implement in case of continues violation.

As for your offer. We do not work with centos, so can not run Nodewatch. Thanks anyway.
    It's not a question about how to control and stop, but a question about when to say good bye to the abuser.

• Throttle?

• What are they even using the resources for?

If its for hosting their website, gameserver and stuffs, give them an option to upgrade to dedicated server or VDS.

• Putting them all on a single node together is a good option.

• from a customer side perspective I would appreciate it if the provider would send me a email informing me that i'm using a unrealistic amount of resources, i'd understand the situation and lower my usage or move to the next provider. just be straightforward. if the person in question isn't willing to show understanding for it then you can take strict measures to deal with it.

• What @0xdragon said, just put them all on a single node. That'll teach em' what happens when you abuse resources, it becomes rendered useless...