Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Plex leaking stuff?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Plex leaking stuff?

tr1ckytr1cky Member
edited April 2014 in General

Hey,

I just installed a plex server on one of my vultr servers and was surprised to see content I wasn't familiar with at all. don't click if under 18

Why do I see plex content of other vultr users?

Thanked by 1darkshire

Comments

• udkudk Member
    edited April 2014

misconfigured servers is most likely cause, you (and others) shouldn't have it listening on public IP

• @udk said:
    misconfigured servers is most likely cause, you (and others) shouldn't have it listening on public IP

shouldn't Vultr make sure that others can't access eachothers virtual machines locally?

• @Mark_R said:

That's the exact same thing I thought, now I'm really scared that anybody could install Plex just to browse my stuff.

• @tr1cky are you sure that it is your IP?

• tr1ckytr1cky Member
    edited April 2014

@jeffreywinters said:
    tr1cky are you sure that it is your IP?

What do you mean?
    I can see content from a server called vultr108 and a server called Vultr, both don't belong to me, also I could do with the content whatever I want, e.g. delete stuff.

Edit: I just refreshed the library and watched for the IPs in iftop and 2 IPs appeared, I checked both of them for a running Plex server and both run a plex server, but it isn't accessable without the belonging plex logins, so that's a bad sign as I have access to them allthough they normally aren't accessable without the right credentials.

• If you need a quick solution then you could firewall the local ip range I guess. But it looks like something that has to be taken care of by the provider. Did you sent them a ticket about it too? it might be a good idea to do this for a quick answer.

• AThomasHoweAThomasHowe Member
    edited April 2014

Plex scans your local network for other plex/dlna servers automagically. There is probably a way to turn off auto discovery though.

To stop yours leaking, fog to the web ui, settings, advanced settings, dlna, unstick enable dlna. i think this may stop it working on anything but the web ui though, hopefully someone less tired has a better solution.

Thanked by 1mpkossen
  • @AThomasHowe said:
    ... unstick enable dlna. i think this may stop it working on anything but the web ui though ...

It does work beyond the Web UI.
    I'm using it on a VPS with DLNA disabled and it serves content fine to the iPad and android devices at home.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

hmm.. yeah, I may need access to your Plex server at this moment

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited April 2014

Mark_R said: shouldn't Vultr make sure that others can't access eachothers virtual machines locally?

What exactly do you mean by "locally"? I don't think Vultr provides you with a personal private local network, they just give you an Internet IP. From that Internet IP you can access any other Internet IP, including (big surpise!) those Internet IPs which happen to be on the same subnet. If you believe the latter shouldn't be the case, then perhaps you should elaborate why exactly.

In other news, provider's network works entirely as it should, customers install misconfigured software, create a thread in a public forum trying to throw accusations at the provider for their own stupidity. #typicalLET

Thanked by 2webflier alexvolk
  • tr1ckytr1cky Member
    edited April 2014

@rm_ said:
    In other news, provider's network works entirely as it should, customers install misconfigured software, create a thread in a public forum trying to throw accusations at the provider for their own stupidity. #typicalLET

Wait, I install missconfigured software and can then delete content from other servers? If it is so, it's more likely the other way around.
    Thinking about it, it is most certainly a plex issue on these boxes, it seems like plex thinks all subnets are local, but I wonder why this didn't happen to me with other boxes

• No, he's saying you and others on the network have misconfigured, this is expected behaviour. Plex has made itself available to all machines in the local network and your instance of Plex server is picking them up and adding their media to your library.

Vultr's network is working perfectly, you and others screwed up. It is set up this way so you can link libraries at home in the same network and so that you can pick up the media server on local machines like PCs, tablets, phones, consoles etc

• Ok, yeah, I guess it's a client configuration mistake (allthough less on my side than on the 2 vultr boxes that were accessable @rm_)

Apologies to Vultr if this caused any trouble.

• I ran into this SAME exact issue recently on one of my dedicated servers. I logged on locally to find that there were three other servers with content that weren't mine.

Unfortunately, the two servers ended up disabling DNLA... :(

• tr1cky said: Apologies to Vultr if this caused any trouble.

I think they'll live through this ;)

lol, we all gotta learn somewhere!

• rm_ said: What exactly do you mean by "locally"? I don't think Vultr provides you with a personal private local network, they just give you an Internet IP. From that Internet IP you can access any other Internet IP, including (big surpise!) those Internet IPs which happen to be on the same subnet. If you believe the latter shouldn't be the case, then perhaps you should elaborate why exactly.

With the availability of free ARIN IPs and the support of KVM/QEMU for it i wonder why they don't use private VLANs per server - If i buy cloud for a huge company thats a huge security hole right there which would drive me off (IWStack offers that as addon for example)

• @William said:
    With the availability of free ARIN IPs and the support of KVM/QEMU for it i wonder why they don't use private VLANs per server - If i buy cloud for a huge company thats a huge security hole right there which would drive me off (IWStack offers that as addon for example)

They might use separate subnet per server but not VPS.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

I dunno about Plex leaking stuff, but if those sort of vids started showing up in my library, I'D be leaking stuff!

Thank you, thank you, I'm here all week.

• like many people mentioned ...

go to settings -> DLNA -> "DISABLE"
    then go to NETWORK -> Uncheck "Enable GDM"

i had this similiar issue with running my server @ my buddy's house ... his ISP was kind of odd and his whole community (on same subnet mask) was able to see/stream our content to their DLNA devices/rokus ... etc ... freaked me out at first but I guess I should of done a better job setting up my Plex Server

• Wow @Nekki, so mature. :P lol

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@Void_Whisperer said:
    Wow Nekki, so mature. :P lol

Oh I'm not into that sort of stuff, late 30's is as far as I'll go.