Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ubuntu 14.04 LTS Released! (Trusty Tahr) - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Ubuntu 14.04 LTS Released! (Trusty Tahr)

2»

Comments

• Linode already has this distro, great.

• @gutshotz said:
    With all these "Windows of Linux distros" comments, I'm starting to question my decision to go with Ubuntu for all my VPSes. I have become quite comfortable using Ubuntu 13.10, but since I am still in the early stages of my Linux transition, do you think I should consider using Debian, or maybe another distro?

If you're comfortable with it, stick to it. Ubuntu may be "bloated" as a desktop Linux OS, but it's a rock-solid server OS, as are Debian and CentOS. The server install isn't too heavy, anyway.

• SunnSunn Member

@IceCream said:
    The users coming from Windows should start with Gentoo.

Don't touch another computer again.

Thanked by 1Pwner

gutshotz Member
    4:04AM FlagThanks
    With all these "Windows of Linux distros" comments, I'm starting to question my decision to go with Ubuntu for all my VPSes. I have become quite comfortable using Ubuntu 13.10, but since I am still in the early stages of my Linux transition, do you think I should consider using Debian, or maybe another distro?

No, you don't have to. It'd be a good idea though and most knowledge you have from Ubuntu will transfer easily with Ubuntu being Debian based. I would maybe try setting up a new box with debian and seeing how comfortable you feel - should you have issues you can stay with Ubuntu, if you feel comfortable with Debian it wouldn't be a bad idea to switch over.

At the end of the day though, as long as your performance isn't suffering and you know what you're doing you can configure Ubuntu to run just as well as Debian. I am personally a Debian purist (on servers, I use OS X at home) because it makes my life easier to use the same OS everywhere and I prefer to trim less fat out of the box.

• You know, for someone who does not know much about computer, windows/linux is no different. my mom/aunts don't know how to use windows visa/windows 7 after upgrade from windows xp, even from office 97 to office 2007. so there is no different to change from xp to linux.

Thanked by 1mpkossen
  • @AThomasHowe said:
    At the end of the day though, as long as your performance isn't suffering and you know what you're doing you can configure Ubuntu to run just as well as Debian. I am personally a Debian purist (on servers, I use OS X at home) because it makes my life easier to use the same OS everywhere and I prefer to trim less fat out of the box.

What benefits does Debian have over Ubuntu? I use OSX at home (couple Hackint0shes with Apple keyboards and mice :) ), and on the road (MBAir), after abandoning Windows 10 or so years ago. When I found out that OSX was just a GUId UNIX system I jumped into Linux...and Ubuntu.

• namhuy said: wait for few weeks for bugs to get fixed, upgrade now might break your box

I've upgraded 2 OpenVZ VM's and a VirtualBox VM from 12.04 to 14.04 and it worked fine for me...

• @deejay31 said:
    I've upgraded 2 OpenVZ VM's and a VirtualBox VM from 12.04 to 14.04 and it worked fine for me...

Did you use the -d flag?

• AThomasHoweAThomasHowe Member
    edited April 2014

gutshotz said: What benefits does Debian have over Ubuntu? I use OSX at home (couple Hackint0shes with Apple keyboards and mice :) ), and on the road (MBAir), after abandoning Windows 10 or so years ago. When I found out that OSX was just a GUId UNIX system I jumped into Linux...and Ubuntu.

I use a hackintosh too ;) The main benefit of Debian is that it comes as a more bare bones system, that's about it really. Almost everything is preconfigured and it runs more or less the same as Ubuntu being based on Debian, Debian just comes with less you probably don't need. There is some minor stuff that could be taken either way like your own thoughts on the Ubuntu groups philosophy and focus (with their new mobile OS etc), or the fact that in general the Debian repos are on older packages (for stability and security, although some people don't like not having the bleeding edge from install).

One other thing I like about Debian is the maturity and how widespread it is on servers, any problem I have or thing I want to do is easily found on google with 100s of different guides. Ubuntu has a great community but not as good as debian for server admins imo.

If we're talking about on a desktop however (or even some less automated dedis) Debian can be quite different and require some extra steps for install. On a VPS it should be as easy as reinstalling with a new template. If I were to use a flavour of Linux on the desktop, it'd probably be Xubuntu or LMDE (probably Xubuntu though).

• @hazrulnizam said:
    Did you use the -d flag?

On the OVZ ones, yes

• nerouxneroux Member
    edited April 2014

gutshotz said: What benefits does Debian have over Ubuntu?

Considering Ubuntu is based on Debian, the question should be the other way round ;).

• ZEROFZEROF Member

Testing, i have small issue with multi session. When i try to add new user and login with. Screen goes bugy :)

• +1 for elementaryOS, will wait for Isis

Anyway I'm glad Ubuntu use (almost) latest kernel 3.13. Here is my finding: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTUxNTk

• Elementary is nice, I used it for about six months. It's not the answer to being ubuntu free though, it's based on Ubuntu.

• DroidzoneDroidzone Member
    edited April 2014

neroux said: Considering Ubuntu is based on Debian, the question should be the other way round ;).

Not necessarily. A smaller system footprint, less active services, provide a smoother experience.

But since both use the deb packaging system, one can easily use specific Ubuntu packages on Debian without compromising system stability.

• joelgm said: Not necessarily. A smaller system footprint, less active services, provide a smoother experience.

Ubuntu has a smaller system footprint?

• DroidzoneDroidzone Member
    edited April 2014

• [gutshotz said]: What benefits does Debian have over Ubuntu?

[neroux said]: Considering Ubuntu is based on Debian, the question should be the other way round ;).

neroux said: Ubuntu has a smaller system footprint?

Debian does. Your post seemed to imply that the question should have been 'What benefits does Ubuntu have over Debian?'

• @joelgm said:
    Debian does. Your post seemed to imply that the question should have been 'What benefits does Ubuntu have over Debian?'

Precisely, thats why I was confused by your "not necessarily" statement.

• neroux said: Precisely, thats why I was confused by your "not necessarily" statement.

Right. You were asking a rhetorical question. I took it literally. ;)

• siprof said: +1 for elementaryOS, will wait for Isis

Anyway I'm glad Ubuntu use (almost) latest kernel 3.13. Here is my finding: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTUxNTk

Michael Larabel in the house?

• I wrote a guide How to upgrade from Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and Ubuntu 13.10 to Ubuntu 14.04 LTS http://namhuy.net/2853/upgrade-ubuntu-12-04-lts-ubuntu-14-04-lts.html hope it helps.

• iceTwy said: The Windows of Linux distros

W1V_Lee said: Perhaps, but it gives many the confidence to move from Windows to Linux which can't be a bad thing.

That, and Windows isn't bad. Windows 8.1 is the most stable version of Windows I have ever had (in my experience, that is). I have a brand-spanking new computer, which definitely helps. But seriously, it's usable, fast, and stable. I have never, ever since it came out, had a crash of Windows 8. Zero. None. Zilch.

I'm an Ubuntu fan ever since OpenSUSE "came into existence". I've used SUSE 9.3 before that. Ubuntu is really one of the easiest and most polished linux distributions for "techies". I'm sure the more experienced Windows users would also find their web. But total noobs...? Not sure.

I've been running 14.04 since Beta 2 as my day-to-day OS at the office and it's been very stable. Haven't had any (real) issues. I've currently got two servers running it and I haven't had any issues there either. So, I'm going to try and upgrade one of my servers this week (which is at 12.04 LTS) and see how that goes.

perennate said: PHP 5.5... no WHMCS :P

Why not?

gutshotz said: What benefits does Debian have over Ubuntu?

It's renamed 'Firefox' to 'IceWeasel'. That is, if you consider that a benefit.

Seriously: none. I think Ubuntu fixes what Debian broke.