Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Installing a DNS Server in CentOS 6
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Installing a DNS Server in CentOS 6

JondawgJondawg Member

So I just changed VPS hosts and the one I changed to doesn't have their own nameservers for me to point my domain to. They recommended I follow this tutorial for installing a DNS server in CentOS (http://www.krizna.com/centos/how-to-install-dns-server-in-centos-6/) but I'm wondering if I could just install something like ZPanel or Webmin. That is, I'm wondering if ZPanel or Webmin have built in DNS servers, or the ability to create them on the server without me having to go through that long ass tutorial.

Comments

• nunimnunim Member

If you aren't using a panel/aren't hosting many domains you should be using offsite DNS, it will be far more reliable then anything you setup and there's not to configure.

I highly recommend http://dns.he.net however some people like CloudFlare's DNS. Either way, it's a simple matter of changing your nameservers and adding some A records.

If you don't chose to go this route, then Yes, Webmin can handle DNS configuration. Don't install ZPanel, it's an accident waiting to happen.

• Well, I have one main domain and about 10 that I want to park. I also want to setup sub domains redirecting to other IPs (for gameservers, voice servers, etc). Would CloudFlare or he.net still be better? I've always used WHM/CPanel in the past and I'm very used to that.

• nocomnocom Member

two cents for CloudFlare

• nunimnunim Member

@Jondawg said:
    Well, I have one main domain and about 10 that I want to park. I also want to setup sub domains redirecting to other IPs (for gameservers, voice servers, etc). Would CloudFlare or he.net still be better? I've always used WHM/CPanel in the past and I'm very used to that.

You can certainly setup cPanel and it will handle the DNS for you. You'd still be able to do all of those things with dns.he.net or CloudFlare DNS.

It's up to you, I prefer letting HE.net take care of my DNS as it's important that it's always available and can be a pain to manage. One of the only reasons not to use offsite DNS is the need for zone transfers (which HE may support, I'm not sure), however I doubt that you need that functionality.

Register at your choice of DNS provider, add your domain, update your nameservers, create your A records and you're all set. Will save quite a bit of overhead on the server as well.

• Okay, well you've convinced me. I guess I'll give he.net a shot.