Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Limiting host node IO access?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Limiting host node IO access?

Hello,

As many of you might know writing data to a harddisk will decrease its lifetime, after a X-amount of writes it will die.

This makes me wonder if providers have measures in place to prevent people from killing the node harddisks. If yes, what kind of measures? if I were a provider I really would want to prevent that people kill my expensive hardware equipment.. How could I accomplish this? limiting the IO writespeed isn't going to be enough.

Thank you.

Comments

• I've seen it possible to limit the i/o rate.. if that's what you are asking.

• SpeedyKVMSpeedyKVM Banned, Member
    edited April 2014

@Mark_R said:
    Hello,

As many of you might know writing data to a harddisk will decrease its lifetime, after a X-amount of writes it will die.

This makes me wonder if providers have measures in place to prevent people from killing the node harddisks. If yes, what kind of measures? if I were a provider I really would want to prevent that people kill my expensive hardware equipment.. How could I accomplish this? limiting the IO writespeed isn't going to be enough.

Thank you.

You can limit IOPs and throughput, but I'm not aware of anything out-of-the-box to limit the amount (total) of data written.

Assuming you're using SSDs (as you referred to your equipment being killed) SSDs will die with usage, that's just a reality. You need to figure replacing them every year or so (depending on usage and class of SSDs) into your business plan.

Best of all replace one of your RAID member SSD drives every 3-6 months or whatever is needed to make sure that (assuming you're using all new to start) your SSDs don't wear down at the same rate and die at the same time.

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • VDS6VDS6 Member

We use iolimit iopslimit. I must say it helps a lot.
    http://openvz.livejournal.com/45831.html

We are in low end market, we need to protect ourselves and other clients from abusers.

• ATHKATHK Member

This might be something @GreenValueHost might be interested in, May help with all those abusers / torrents taking all the I/O ?