Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

installserveros.com - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

installserveros.com

2»

Comments

• @joodle said:
    This is all it does:

[kippo.core.honeypot.HoneyPotSSHFactory] New connection: 209.239.114.79:50257 (xx.xxx.xx.xx:22)

[HoneyPotTransport,2,209.239.114.79] connection lost

After that i get to see a page saying the following: Login Failed!
    Please verify that the server is reachable in recovery mode and that the root password you've defined is correct.

Keep it open and see if you get any intruders in the meantime.

• I'd recommend editing OP and adding a warning so that people don't go blindly charging in and as a result get hacked. I know, you'd have to be pretty stupid to enter your details there. Just an idea.

• I tried out the site on a temporary DigitalOcean droplet. It installs Postfix and then stalls.

Very fishy.

• @agentmishra said:
    seems promissing, only worry is they should not create troubles with your password.

i did a reinstall just yesterday, will surely try in future

We don't store the password you provide to start the installation. Even if we did, the server MUST be in recovery mode, not production. The password we generate for the new OS, should be changed immediately (obviously).

The password that the site generates for the new installation is stored. It is stored for troubleshooting should something go wrong (and it can be fixed). As I said above, this password should be changed immediately.

• This site is far too difficult to make large numbers of comments, so I will just reply here. Not sure if any of you will actually see it (I just joined to chime in).

As I said in the comment above:
    We don't store the password you provide to start the installation. Even if we did, the server MUST be in recovery mode, not production. The password we generate for the new OS, should be changed immediately (obviously).

The password that the site generates for the new installation is stored. It is stored for troubleshooting should something go wrong (and it can be fixed). As I said above, this password should be changed immediately.

If you are sneaky, all of the "code" is easily attainable. Although, it's jusst some scripts similar to what is found here: http://diehoch.net/?p=50
    Some kickstart/preseed files, and the post install scripts that allow for things like ProxMox and Asterisk to be installed, as well as a few security/optimization related items. In fact, some of these installations leave behind logs (because I'm lazy sometimes [yes, we is just me]).

Anyway, it's there if you want to use it. I just checked, and since about last August the site has run installations on 539 distinct servers, for a total of 2106 installations. Please keep in mind:
    This is a personal project of mine
    This is in beta, and may not always work
    I already have a job taking care of many thousands of server, I don't want anymore

Like I said, take it or leave it. It does work well if you follow the directions (most people don't). The PHYSICAL server (not vServer/VPS KVM/XEN/ProxMox/Virtuozzo/ESXi/PCS VM/VPS/container/slice) must be booted to recovery mode, the block devices (hard drives) MUST be unmounted, the server must have an actual (no NAT) IPv4 IP address and be running SSH on port 22, with a known root password.

The installations started by destroying the partition tables and associated metadata, then repartition, download "netinstall" images, dd to HDD, install GRUB with some hints for the network installation to start (IP/Netmask/Gateway/NS/MAC/[kickstart|preseed] location. The installation runs, sometimes there is a no-reboot post-install, sometimes the server reboots then runs the post install; some times both (ProxMox).

Anyway, hope this clears things up. If you have further questions, please feel free to contact us on reddit.com/r/installserveros.com

PS It's late and I'm writing for too long, please forgive any mis-spellings/grammatical errors.

• I wouldn't be suprised if it installs a backdoor right with it.

• @Mark_R said:
    I wouldn't be suprised if it installs a backdoor right with it.

Feel free to take a look. My word clearly isn't enough.. :P

The site exists for those who need some OS their server provider doesn't offer. If you need the OS, try it, run rkhunter, "watch netstat -plant", tcpdump, port mirror+wireshark, etc. If you like it, keep it, if not, install the OS you don't need from your service provider.

These Ad hominem comments of "It sounds good and even though I've never tried it, it's clearly some sort of trap!" are really kind of ridiculous.

If you've used the site and found a problem, PLEASE let me know. If you haven't, then your really have nothing to say. To use the site would at worst cause, what? ~30 minutes of nastiness, then your reboot and reinstall from a "trusted" source.

I've had some VERY picky people install my OSs, spouting the same "ooh, it must be a virus!" BS.. No one has managed to find 1 problem, other than they don't like the partitioning, or too many/not enough packages installed, or what have you.