Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who got april fooled?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Who got april fooled?

Guys share your stories of April fool day.

Comments

• I think I was successful in making :)

• I got April fooled last year but last year April fool prepared me for this year.

• RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

Fubuntu?

Not that bad.

• BradBrad Member

Vultr acquires DigitalOcean

• ehabehab Member

almost by FtpIt_Radi

Thanked by 1support123
  • DaveADaveA Member

@brad - We wouldn't buy that junk.

• Boring...

• PwnerPwner Member

@DaveA said:
    brad - We wouldn't buy that junk.

Your move, DigitalOcean.

Thanked by 1FrankZ
  • @DaveA said:
    brad - We wouldn't buy that junk.

Professionalism blown out the window..

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Several clients thought we really put out an 85% coupon called "April1" :)

Thanked by 1Jeffrey
  • @Nick_A Good one!

• DaveADaveA Member

@David_P You're right, Junk isn't very professional. We'll let the numbers speak for themselves! https://goo.gl/mWgSLr

Thanked by 1Peroni
  • @DaveA said:
    David_P You're right, Junk isn't very professional. We'll let the numbers speak for themselves! https://goo.gl/mWgSLr

Amazon is in a purely different market. Amazon can instantly spool thousands of servers for a given user.

And your statistics are off. Amazon's m3 is almost 4GB of memory and your comparing it to a 1GB Vultr machine. Of course Amazon looks bad.

Your also comparing CPU scores with non-cpu Amazon plans.

• DaveADaveA Member

"Amazon's m3 is almost 4GB of memory and your comparing it to a 1GB Vultr machine. Of course Amazon looks bad." -- Does not compute.

• @DaveA said:
    "Amazon's m3 is almost 4GB of memory and your comparing it to a 1GB Vultr machine. Of course Amazon looks bad." -- Does not compute.

You should compare equal products in the correct field. Amazon has instances for each type of need - memory, processing power, storage, etc. A c3.large will give you 7GHz of raw computing power. Why aren't you comparing those against your Vultr instances?

Thanked by 2Davidx tchen
  • DaveADaveA Member

@silvenga - Thanks for the input, I'll pass it along

• tchentchen Member

@DaveA said:

He's saying that anyone who has experience with the AWS ecosystem knows that the M3 is a memory-targeted instance family that runs at about par per GB mem. If you want to do a CPU comparison, at least choose the C3 class instances. Furthermore, everyone knows the EC2 instances are cpu scheduled to keep to a standard ECU while everybody else doesn't hence the discrepancy in Unixbench marks. At this point in time, unless you want to guarantee your CPU cores, such 'benchmarks' are useless - and frankly annoying to potential AWS customers you may think you're targeting.

Thanked by 1Silvenga
  • DaveADaveA Member
    edited April 2014

Edit: Don't care enough to takeover an unrelated thread with this argument.

• iSkyiSky Member

i got one from @ftpit :3

Thanked by 1support123
  • @DaveA said:
    silvenga - Thanks for the input, I'll pass it along

Although, since you're comparing oranges to oranges with Vultr vs. Digital Ocean I feel your statistics make the differences stand out. I was just irritated about the comparison with Vultr to AWS. Unfortunately there are not many provider's in Vultr's field to compare against.

• tchentchen Member

@DaveA said:
    tchen - Not sure how magnitudes faster performance for less money will be annoying, but ok.

Don't mind me. I'm easily annoyed by marketing fluff. The terseness/incorrectness of the bar charts sends the message that they could easily be replaced by pictures of boobs for all that you think of potential clients. If you're not going to do it right, it might be sometimes better not to try these comparisons because that's what it says - at least to me.

Anyway, check your Unixbench scores for the mid and high range. You have a 2 CPU discrepancy that's not showing up in the benchmark unless you've unlocked the cores for all three tests. In which case, see above.

• DaveADaveA Member

@tchen - As per the disclaimer on every page, feel free to run your own benchmarks and let us know! Cheers.

• April fool prank terribly goes wrong.

Thanked by 1siprof