Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why do vultr give false advertisement time after time?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Why do vultr give false advertisement time after time?

frank035frank035 Member
edited March 2014 in General

I have been following vultr.com for around a month now, and on paper they have better specs then Digital Ocean. But I can't understand why vultr.com can give false advertisement here on LET and WHT, again and again. They have since the start told us that they deploy in 12 locations instantly.

$0.007/hr Cloud Hosting with 3+GHz Cores and 100% SSD. Deploy instantly in 12 cities around the globe

Why? they have up to now, never had 12 locations online. So when I signup I wanted the option to deploy in 12 locations, this possible has been taken from me up to now.

Why can't VULTR just say that they have 7 locations etc? More coming soon.

Don't know if I can trust a host that mislead it's customers for weeks, and still do so.

Can we get any real ETA on when all 12 locations will be ready for deployment, and anytime, all the time?

Or can you change your ads to
$0.007/hr Cloud Hosting with 3+GHz Cores and 100% SSD. Deploy instantly in xx cities around the globe. there XX is the actually number for online locations.

Comments

• It's constantly changing. You can't blame them.

• Sometimes stocks comes back and you can purchase vps in that location. DigitalOcean became crap nowadays and please don't compare them with vultr.

• @jeffreywinters said:
    It's constantly changing. You can't blame them.

But i have used them for over 4-5 weeks now, and still, they have never had all locations online, so why say that you can deploy in 12 cities?
    I understand that they can use that sales pitch WHEN they have 12 locations online, but to that?

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

"Time after time"...yes, for generations...

Thanked by 1darkshire
  • alexvolk said: DigitalOcean became crap nowadays and please don't compare them with vultr.

Why is Digital Ocean crap? Almost the same features like Vultr.com just now. I will trust a honest host, not bullshitting me with 12 locations, when they can't give me 12 locations, and Digital Ocean don't say that have more locations then you actually gets.

• They pulled all the advertising on free DDOS protection as well.

• @sundaymouse said:
    They pulled all the advertising on free DDOS protection as well.

That is what I want, pull advertising on stuff you can't provide. Then add it when you actually can provide it.
    But Vultr has mislead all LET members (customers) since they did the launch.

• @frank035 said:
    Digital Ocean don't say that have more locations then you actually gets.

Actually that's incorrect, I've used DO before and they say they have NL but can't order because their out of stock.

Just like Vultr, they have London but I can't order as there's no stock.

• @frank035 said:

I had about 5 VPSes with them all in different locations and after a year droplets became too slow. I did DD test on all my vpses as well as network speed. Results was poor for SSD disk about 90mb/s and network not more than 20 Mb/s. I have created ticket so the issue can be resolved, their response was that my vpses was hosted on older nodes and they simply asked to create new vps. So put it simply Digital Ocean and stability doesn't come together.

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

alexvolk said: Results was poor for SSD disk about 90mb/s

90mb/s = 90 megabits/s

do you really mean 90mb/s, or 90MB/s?

• @perennate said:
    do you really mean 90mb/s, or 90MB/s?

90MB/s, sorry typed in mobile phone.

Initially I had excellent network speed about 99 MB/s for over a year as well as I/O speed over 350 MB/s but the fact that they won't fix an issues on their older nodes and constantly network issues ( check their status page) made me reconsider them. Should I add that they do allow mining cryptocurrecies on their droplets?

• DH22DH22 Member
    edited March 2014

There is a huge difference between being temporarily out of stock vs the location is not ready and has never been available. It is a bit false to be advertising 12 locations without at least saying some are not yet available but not sure it is a big enough deal to make a new thread.

Personally I have been looking hard for other VPS options in the New York/New Jersey area and have not been able to find anything around the same price that performs nearly as well as Digital Ocean. I have tried several other VPS providers and nothing has been as stable as DO.

I have not tried Vultr yet mostly due to their SMTP policy and recent reports of them limiting network speeds. But I am still very hopeful that Vultr is a success as their services, assuming they are at least as stable as DO, would work great for me. The number of locations planned as well as offering Windows VPSs has me very interested.

• DaveADaveA Member

@DH22 - Try us, our fraud scrubbing only applies SMTP firewalls to accounts with high fraud scores at this time. And you can always ask me here to remove it. We are trying to keep our service as clean, reputable and problem free as possible. Our consistent performance should show we know what we're doing.

@frank035 - It's not false advertising, we have 12 locations and we will have more as time goes on. If you'd like a refund simply request one and we'll process it right away.

• frank035frank035 Member
    edited March 2014

DaveA said: It's not false advertising, we have 12 locations and we will have more as time goes on. If you'd like a refund simply request one and we'll process it right away.

How can you say that?
    $0.007/hr Cloud Hosting with 3+GHz Cores and 100% SSD. Deploy instantly in 12 cities around the globe
    When I signup after reading this ad, I'm sure thatt I can signup INSTANTLY in 12 cities around the globe.
    How can I do that, when you don't have had 12 cities online ONE time the last weeks?

Do you understand the word INSTANTLY? It's means that if I signup and want to deploy in 12 cities, I want it NOW, not within two-three-four months.

• udkudk Member

@DaveA, any word on London opening up?

• DaveADaveA Member

@frank035 -

@udk - This week.

Thanked by 2Spencer KeyJey
  • tchentchen Member

@frank035 Their capacity planning and you are a mismatch. I'd just take the refund and move on. FWIW, even Amazon EC2 has had times where people couldn't deploy on demand in certain AZs. It's rare, but it happens. That doesn't make the concept of instantly deployable less valid (just footnoted with reality).

And while I would prefer Vultr step it up a bit in front-running their capacity needs, they are working on it and I have hopes that they get into stride after a full launch. You don't seem to be that patient, so take the refund.

• @DaveA - My point is, yes I want it now, since your ads says that I can have it. Your ads do not say deploy in 6 cities instantly. If it had done that, I would be happy with 6 cities. But your ads says deploy in 12 cities INSTANTLY. Instantly is just here and now.

• It has been some more locations online the last weeks, so it goes in right direction. Still, I can see some frustration over that you buy a product telling that you can deploy instantly in 12 cities, and then you only can deploy in half of them.

Still, vultr.com is a good host, with really good servers. Looking forward to vultr lifting network limitations on the AMS node, for 100mbit connection is not very good.

@DaveA : When will we .iso BETA testers get access to uploading .iso files?

• @DaveA - I loved the video response.

• DaveADaveA Member

@myhken - Tomorrow between 11am-2p as mentioned in another thread.

• False advertising?

• DaveADaveA Member

@tchen said:
    And while I would prefer Vultr step it up a bit in front-running their capacity needs, they are working on it and I have hopes that they get into stride after a full launch. You don't seem to be that patient, so take the refund.

@tchen - We have palettes of servers being shipped to each location. It didn't help that our vendor had supply constraints. We have plenty of staff and resources to make this happen in a high quality manner. We are fully dedicated to making this a best in class service.