Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SolusVM
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

SolusVM

If you buy a dedicated server with 32 gig of ram with 2TB hdd...is that mean you can only sell 32 VPS with 1 gig of each vps...and if the hardrive is 2TB and with 1Gig of each VPS is 20 VPS only? I'd really appreciate an explanation for this -- with this specs from ovh > ovh.com/us/dedicated-servers/hosting/2014-HOST-32.xml < how many OpenVZ container you can run from it? a little explanation is really much appreciated...like how does the raid, hdd and stuffs work...

Comments

• jmginerjmginer Member, Patron Provider

With OpenVZ you can do overselling as memory is not reserved by the container (VPS).

• There is overselling option but it will be affect your quality. So do not oversell if you want to provide great service.

• VDS6VDS6 Member
    edited March 2014

You will "run out of io" long before you run out of ram, especially with sata.

• @slayeddragon said:
    If you buy a dedicated server with 32 gig of ram with 2TB hdd...is that mean you can only sell 32 VPS with 1 gig of each vps...and if the hardrive is 2TB and with 1Gig of each VPS is 20 VPS only? I'd really appreciate an explanation for this -- with this specs from ovh > ovh.com/us/dedicated-servers/hosting/2014-HOST-32.xml < how many OpenVZ container you can run from it? a little explanation is really much appreciated...like how does the raid, hdd and stuffs work...

With OpenVZ you can typically sell between 2-3 x the amount of RAM the machine without any fear of anyone swapping. I wouldn't recommend this on an E3 node; however many companies here are doing it just fine. The biggest issue you're going to have with the machine that you highlighted is disk IO with two drives in RAID1. RAID0 would of course give you better throughput but then you lose redundancy and are playing Russian roulette with data loss and extended downtime. Even if you maintain backups it's still going to be a pain for all those involved.

For what purpose are you doing this research?

• AlexanderMAlexanderM Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Summer host #herewe

• said: if the hardrive is 2TB and with 1Gig of each VPS is 20 VPS only

how do you get that number?

Thanked by 2Sander GIANT_CRAB
  • Another Mazker is here.

• BradBrad Member
    edited March 2014

Edit: Never Mind.

• I appreciate for the reply, how does the customer know you are overselling? so with raid 1 instead of 4TB it's gonna be 2TB but the other 2TB will be backed up...with 2TB, how many TB in OpenVZ you can have if you oversell...is it possible to oversell HDD as well like the ram?

in other words... with this spec >> ovh.com/us/dedicated-servers/hosting/2014-HOST-32.xml < it can only hold 20 VPS? 1gig ram with 100gig space of each VPS

• A customer will never know for sure if you are overselling or not, it's based on the performance they experience. With OpenVZ it's theoretically possible to oversell everything and create for example 50 1GB vps' on the dedicated you linked

• @slayeddragon said:
    I appreciate for the reply, how does the customer know you are overselling? so with raid 1 instead of 4TB it's gonna be 2TB but the other 2TB will be backed up...with 2TB, how many TB in OpenVZ you can have if you oversell...is it possible to oversell HDD as well like the ram?

in other words... with this spec >> ovh.com/us/dedicated-servers/hosting/2014-HOST-32.xml < it can only hold 20 VPS? 1gig ram with 100gig space of each VPS

The machine you linked can easily be oversold x 2 - 3 on RAM alone.

RAID is not backed up. Raid 1 is not a backup, it's data striped across both drives. In the event of one drive failing the second drive maintains an exact copy of the data.

Disk you can oversell as much as you like (until users make use of it all). You could sell 2,4,6,8,10 TB. You only have an issue if users use all the disk.

As I said before, your biggest issue with this machine is the two disks and the likely IO that you'll experience when overselling this machine.

Good to see you are doing research, just hope we don't see dragonvps anytime soon!

• @slayeddragon said:
    I appreciate for the reply, how does the customer know you are overselling?

They can check the RAM/Swap to see if you oversell (a lot).

http://lowendbox.com/blog/how-to-tell-your-openvz-vps-is-swapping/

• It would be great if OpenVZ just dies, every kiddie or summerhost starts with OpenVZ(Note: I am not saying all who start with OpenVZ are kiddie or summerhosts) because it makes it easy for them as they do not need to learn anything. Just install soluvm, click-click & you are a provider!

@slayeddragon if you want to get into hosting business, please get a dedicated server for a month or 2 & practice on it.It would also be a better idea to start with XEN or KVM instead of that horrible excuse for virtualization called OpenVZ

• PwnerPwner Member

@K2Bytes said:
    It would be great if OpenVZ just dies, every kiddie or summerhost starts with OpenVZ(Note: I am not saying all who start with OpenVZ are kiddie or summerhosts) because it makes it easy for them as they do not need to learn anything. Just install soluvm, click-click & you are a provider!

slayeddragon if you want to get into hosting business, please get a dedicated server for a month or 2 & practice on it.It would also be a better idea to start with XEN or KVM instead of that horrible excuse for virtualization called OpenVZ

And so begin the great OVZ vs. KVM wars again. Please keep your arguments on hold while I go and pop some popcorn. It will only take a couple of minutes.

Thanked by 2Gunter Sander
  • OpenVZ isn't shit. It's containerization, right. But it has many advantages. Firstly it has a better performance (if the host does not oversell) than Xen/KVM etc. Secondly it might be better for beginners, because of 'No kernel, no problem - No brain, no pain'. If you need kernel modules etc. go with Xen/KVM, if not, go with OpenVZ.

Thanked by 1Sander
  • @Pwner said:
    And so begin the great OVZ vs. KVM wars again. Please keep your arguments on hold while I go and pop some popcorn. It will only take a couple of minutes.

I am not trying to initiate a war but simply stating the obvious facts.Please tell me what wrong did I say in that comment?

• PwnerPwner Member
    edited March 2014

@K2Bytes said:
    I am not trying to initiate a war but simply stating the obvious facts.Please tell me what wrong did I say in that comment?

Your obvious facts are opinion based and you should know better than to openly trash OVZ on a thread about OVZ.

Because you know, calling OVZ a "horrible excuse for virtualization" is a solid fact. /sarcasm

• He's just another one of this OpenVZ haters.

• @Pwner said:
    Because you know, calling OVZ a "horrible excuse for virtualization" is a solid fact. /sarcasm

It is actually containerization where the guest depends on host's kernel, different modules & so much other bla bla. You can call it semi-virtualization at best because it really is NOT virtualization. And I have provided evidence twice on these boards in the past that only purpose of OpenVZ project was to allow providers to oversell beyond imagination.

I am not against overselling because it really makes optimum utilization of resources but only if done within limits & being monitored continuously.But most do it upto 6x blindly just to get richer within no time.There are only a handful number of hosts whom you can trust to provide you good experience with OpenVZ in this community.But all of this has spoilt the industry. Hosts now compete on prices rather than quality.When others see a host with such busines smodel making money they jump into same boat.

Those are the only reasons I do not like OpenVZ & prefer KVM, XEN & VMware over it.

• PwnerPwner Member
    edited March 2014

@K2Bytes said:

• @Pwner said:

Parcel some to me as well :D

• PwnerPwner Member
    edited March 2014

\me parcels some popcorn to @K2Bytes

Just make sure that I get a good show tonight. I went to the store and got the premium brand for such an occasion.

Thanked by 1Shoaib_A
  • You can set up as many as you wish using OpenVZ as OpenVZ does not reserve memory for each container. This is called overselling. This affects the quality of your services in many ways. If you wish to provide a good service, do not oversell.

• If overselling is done right, it can even be a addition in perfomance. You just have to find the right hoster...

• PwnerPwner Member

@DDoSHost said:
    You can set up as many as you wish using OpenVZ as OpenVZ does not reserve memory for each container. This is called overselling. This affects the quality of your services in many ways. If you wish to provide a good service, do not oversell.

Nice name, so how many bot-nets do you manage as "clients"?

• W3HostW3Host Member
    edited March 2014

@Pwner said:
    Nice name, so how many bot-nets do you manage as "clients"?

Funny joke? Our servers are located in OVH Canada, so none... lol.

• @DDoSHost said:
    Funny joke? Our servers are located in OVH Canada, so none... lol.

Are you sure? Weren't it mostly OVH servers which attacked cloudflare (NTP amp)? ;)

• @IceCream said:

Not a clue. I don't engage in illegal activities so I wouldn't know. I work to protect people against these illegal activities. All I know is OVH are quite strict now.

• @K2Bytes said:
    It would be great if OpenVZ just dies, every kiddie or summerhost starts with OpenVZ(Note: I am not saying all who start with OpenVZ are kiddie or summerhosts) because it makes it easy for them as they do not need to learn anything. Just install soluvm, click-click & you are a provider!

Every virtualization technology is good, depends for what you looking for.

For those who hate OpenVZ/Virtuozzo Containers please check the follow link (page 5)

http://www.parallels.com/fileadmin/media/hcap/pcs/documents/PCS6_Performance_LAMP_WP_Ltr_EN_011113.pdf

• @forthcloud said:

Actually I would love to use any host using OpenVZ which does not oversell blindly & balances resources nicely but you can count such hosts on fingers :)