Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DD Script
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

DD Script

MunMun Member

I built a bash + crontab script that creates a list of your historical dd as well as one current one.

It can be seen here:
Current: http://192.3.139.124/dd.txt
Historical: http://192.3.139.124/dd_historical.txt

My fear is that it will be abused and cause people to aimlessly use this to "monitor" there server. Though you may say mine was aimless as well, I will disagree. In any case, I'd like to hear your thoughts if I should make this available as well as a poll.

Mun

this is a poll
  1. Should I release58 votes
    1. Yes
      53.45%
    2. No
      46.55%

Comments

• GunterGunter Member
    edited March 2014

said: My fear is that it will be abused and cause people to aimlessly use this to "monitor" there server.

It's up to the provider to enforce and prevent "monitoring" if it starts affecting other customers.

Either way, it's not exactly impossible to code a simple alternative even if you didn't release it.

I say go for it.

• jhjh Member

This could be one of the worst things to hit the low end market.

Thanked by 1Janevski
  • Mahfuz_SS_EHLMahfuz_SS_EHL Host Rep, Veteran

Script is script & You didn't make it to abuse.

• MunMun Member

@darknyan said:

Yes, you are right, but it still would take someone "time" to build it stopping the idiots from doing it.

@jhadley said:

I wouldn't say so, bind being installed by default or zpanel can be far worse.

Mun

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

Shouldn't have even posted this. Bad idea, you'll encourage lots of abuse and everyone will be running it and wondering 'why so slow'.

• FlorisFloris Member
    edited March 2014

@jhadley said:

I totally agree on this, there are enough tools currently to troubleshoot/test, even a moron these days can run a simple serverbear benchmark. Releasing this could get this market in a whole lot of trouble. Imagine 50 people running this on a single node, a true nightmare.

• MunMun Member

@Infinity said:
    Shouldn't have even posted this. Bad idea, you'll encourage lots of abuse and everyone will be running it and wondering 'why so slow'.

Then by all regards, get off your lazy ass and ban some of the big "bad ass members" as they treat people like shit, thus encouraging everyone else to treat others like shit. "LET Such Bad".

I think @spirit can add more light to this as we have had long talks about it, but I feel hard pressed not to point fingers.

Mun

@Mun said:
    Then by all regards, get off your lazy ass and ban some of the big "bad ass members" as they treat people like shit, thus encouraging everyone else to treat others like shit. "LET Such Bad".

>

I think @spirit can add more light to this as we have had long talks about it, but I feel hard pressed not to point fingers.

>

Mun

Please kindly explain what the hell you are talking about. If you're trying to be clever, I'm not a moderator/admin and haven't been for a long time now...

I make a comment on the topic at hand and you try a personal jab, well played sir.

Now back to my point, anyone can code this but the fact you put the idea out will mean people will do it. There is absolutely no use of such a script, if anything make one with ioping and generate some graphs with it or something, that would be a lot more useful.

• @Infinity said:
    Now back to my point, anyone can code this but the fact you put the idea out will mean people will do it. There is absolutely no use of such a script, if anything make one with ioping and generate some graphs with it or something, that would be a lot more useful.

Uhh, this must be a mistake then... Your name is still showing Moderator.

• MunMun Member
    edited March 2014

@Infinity said:

It still states you are a moderator, and frankly my jab is because I can put so many things in your argument and slap them around. I expect people to have a brain and be able to use it, they are not driven to idiocy because another person does it. I said jumping off a bridge is a good idea, thus you should do what?

Mun

• MunMun Member
    Thanked by 1raindog308
  • LeeLee Veteran

I don't think it will make a whole lot of difference, it's not a hard script to create and then automate. If it was really that much of a want it would have been created long ago.

That said, if you build it, they will come..

@Mun said:
    Mun

Why should you ask them to jump of the bridge in the first place or give them the idea? The fact that you had to resort to a personal jab just goes to show how good your argument is.

And officially I'm not a moderator or Admin any longer: http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/15263/lowendtalk-rules-and-guidelines#latest

• FlorisFloris Member
    edited March 2014

I forgot the name of those things, just remembered it, network card.
    I'm just a sales representative okay!

now back on topic, A lot of users in this market will (ab)use it, and that's a bad thing.

• @Infinity said:

Honestly, if I hadn't read that thread I would've thought you were a mod.

Just for you. :-)

• MunMun Member

@Infinity said:

Its not a personal jab, just an argument against your point, which I see as flawed. In regards to why I should I ask them to jump off the bridge in the first place: "because the water it is amazing to feel the cold wind in your face"

to make it less personal, which is my fault (sorry and my apologies) let me take your argument anew.

You shouldn't have posted this because you will encourage a lot of abuse.

People shouldn't be mean as it will encourage others to be mean. (the jab was at point to point that we allow this everyday here on LET, I know for one I feel the need to "defend" myself.

You shouldn't cry because it will encourage others to cry.

Mun

• SpencerSpencer Member
    edited March 2014

I vote for a ban on @Mun and his silly rants

Thanked by 2manacit perennate
  • MunMun Member

@Spencer said:
    I vote for a ban on Mun and his stupid rants

please create a new thread and ask for me to be banned, I might enjoy the fact of being blocked from here :)

Mun

• n0myn0my Member

I understand the point of this script but it does more harm than good. I rather get the most out of the IO and only check when there seems to be a problem. So personally I don't really care if you release or not, I'm not gonna use it.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

hmmm i would realy like to get this :D

• Oh god, more promotion of dd as the end-all test.

• LeeLee Veteran

I do perhaps see where @Mun is going with it though. There are some hosts I just would never bother with DD tests, those hosts monitor their nodes frequently and manage abusers effectively. Others not so, and I do find myself doing a dd on a regular basis because at one point of the day it's 100mb/s the next it's 5mb/s.

Sometimes you need to understand what the pinch points are and this could help in those situations. The issue though is that if you feel the need to do it because IO is hit and miss then this just adds to the problem.

• MunMun Member

@W1V_Lee said:
    I do perhaps see where Mun is going with it though. There are some hosts I just would never bother with DD tests, those hosts monitor their nodes frequently and manage abusers effectively. Others not so, and I do find myself doing a dd on a regular basis because at one point of the day it's 100mb/s the next it's 5mb/s.

Sometimes you need to understand what the pinch points are and this could help in those situations. The issue though is that if you feel the need to do it because IO is hit and miss then this just adds to the problem.

Can I hug you :D?

Thank you

• Looks like a 50 50 split in votes

@Mun said:
    Its not a personal jab, just an argument against your point, which I see as flawed. In regards to why I should I ask them to jump off the bridge in the first place: "because the water it is amazing to feel the cold wind in your face"

That hypothetical reasoning doesn't apply to this discussion (although I can't really understand what you meant by that phrase - it doesn't really make sense) but if you translate that to this discussion you're luring people to do something they shouldn't?

You shouldn't have posted this because you will encourage a lot of abuse.

>

People shouldn't be mean as it will encourage others to be mean. (the jab was at point to point that we allow this everyday here on LET, I know for one I feel the need to "defend" myself.

>

You shouldn't cry because it will encourage others to cry.

>

Mun

Sure, I did oversimplify the cause and effect but my point remains. By giving the idea out of such a tool it will eventually encourage abuse, and I think you do really have a bit of a high opinion of some LET readers, not all are as intelligent as you think, and not all will have the sense to to use this in an abusive manner even if not intentional.

I'm sure you're aware that testing IO with a dd isn't indicative as a be all end all solution and it will only reduce the numbers for others on the host node if it's done continually. It's only useful every now and again to check if anything drastic has happened e.g. abusers.

to make it less personal, which is my fault (sorry and my apologies) let me take your argument anew.

No hard feelings. I just like critical thinking and breaking down arguments. I love it when people use ad hominem in discussions. :-)

• tchentchen Member

It's not going to cause the end of the world. When it becomes abusive, the idiots running it 24/7 will just get booted or told to stop. The only issue I have with it is that it semi-legitimizes something pretty stupid by virtue of being created by a respected member of LET.

Thanked by 2Infinity Maounique
  • MunMun Member

@tchen said:
    It's not going to cause the end of the world. When it becomes abusive, the idiots running it 24/7 will just get booted or told to stop. The only issue I have with it is that it semi-legitimizes something pretty stupid by virtue of being created by a respected member of LET.

@Spencer said:
    I vote for a ban on Mun and his silly rants

I am respected?

Thanked by 1perennate
  • manacitmanacit Member
    edited March 2014

Another Mun post.

Here, I went ahead and did it myself. It took all of 15 minutes and I'm not even good at bash scripting - why is this whole thing such a big deal again?

https://gist.github.com/nickvanw/9863660

• MunMun Member
    Thanked by 1darkshire