Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cheap VPS for Tor (Exit)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cheap VPS for Tor (Exit)

CikonCikon Member
edited March 2014 in Requests

Yes, here's another plague post looking for the cheapest VPS out there. This is not going to be one demanding less than $1/m payment.

looking about 256MB RAM, 1TB+ of bandwidth per month, allowing Tor (preferably exit nodes, but relays would suffice too) and constant use of ~50mbps on the line, with bursts permitted

feel free to post referral links if they're permitted on the forum

Comments

• AlexanderMAlexanderM Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Good luck

• 123systems. Don't allow it but they don't really keep track of their nodes or customers either.

• Look to someone outside LEB/LET

• CikonCikon Member
    edited March 2014

@darknyan
    I'd rather not fork over $30 and then get kicked out and give them a shitload of legal issues to go along with it.

@fitvpn
    Where do you suggest I search?

• GunterGunter Member
    edited March 2014

Cikon said: shitload of legal issues

I hear they deserve it. Can't speak personally about it.

• CikonCikon Member

@darknyan it's still not very friendly, regardless of how hard they try to put out good service.

• said: 1TB+ of bandwidth per month

said: constant use of ~50mbps on the line

Does not compute, thats 30TB (15 in, 15 out).

• CikonCikon Member

@William Thank you, haha. I'll go back to my hidey hole now and learn basic mathematics.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

While we dont allow exits, relays are perfectly fine and we only have issue with sustained traffic over 100 mbps on budget plans, spikes up to 300-400 are OK for a few hours too, but, as William pointed out, it will be a helluva traffic. At any rate, 2 TB cost 5 Eur with us, since you are using both ways, a cloud instance will give you 2 TB for the price of one, as only outgoing is counted.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited March 2014

Your thread seems... strange. Almost every reasonable provider will allow middle-only relay nodes (no exit). If your bandwidth plan is not unmetered, and as long as you stay within your b/w allocation, you shouldn't even need to ask.

At the same time, almost every reasonable and unreasonable provider aren't going to allow Exit nodes on a cheap VPS. Just not worth all the trouble for them, even I as a Tor fan can understand that.

Sooo asking "preferably exit nodes, but relays would suffice too" is kind of "Gimme one million USD, but if not, then a couple of nickels would suffice too".

Also keep in mind that at 50+ Mbps you're likely to also use 100% of a CPU core pretty much 24x7, and at this no VPS provider will look too kindly. So maybe you should consider getting a dedi. At https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/GoodBadISPs there are some good pointers to VPS and dedi providers even within the LEB range.

Thanked by 1TheHackBox
  • Why people have that much interest in running TOR relays?

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

@albertdb said:
    Why people have that much interest in running TOR relays?

Some people just like to help other human beings without getting anything tangible in exchange.

Thanked by 1chinmoy
  • @Nyr said:
    Some people just like to help other human beings without getting anything tangible in exchange.

As @rm_ said:

Sooo asking "preferably exit nodes, but relays would suffice too" is kind of "Gimme one million USD, but if not, then a couple of nickels would suffice too".

TOR network has zillions of relays already.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

albertdb said: TOR network has zillions of relays already.

Tor network needs even more relays. Last time I checked, they need them even more than exit nodes.

edited March 2014

Not really, but the more, the better, harder to track, lower congestion.

To OP: Try these guys, seem pretty serious...
    http://www.cyberbunker.com/web/swat.php

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited March 2014

...yet every new relay we launch, is utilized by the network to 100% within weeks. That proves there still isn't "too many" relays, and any additional capacity (even if not "exit") is still very much needed.

Thanked by 1TheHackBox
  • @rm_ said:
    ...yet every new relay we launch, is utilized by the network to 100% within weeks. That proves there still isn't "too many" relays, and any additional capacity (even if not "exit") is still very much needed.

That is weird, I had a TOR relay up for over 3 months with a max bandwith of 200kb/s, it was only using 20-30kb/s.

• @taronyu said:
    That is weird, I had a TOR relay up for over 3 months with a max bandwith of 200kb/s, it was only using 20-30kb/s.

Mine uses 677kb/s of 700kb/s for more than two months now. It started using this sum after a week or som

edited March 2014

It depends on stability. For example, at home, where IP changes, it uses about 10% of capacity, therefore I put up more of them, I used to have a fixed IP one but on a bad adsl 30 down, 6 up, that was used 100%, I mean 6 mb almost permanently..

• howardsl2howardsl2 Member
    edited March 2014

EDITED.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@albertdb said:
    Why people have that much interest in running TOR relays?

They want a free T-shirt :)

https://www.torproject.org/getinvolved/tshirt.html

• I could pickup like 20 of this shirts by now, they are not really of any interest to most i guess :p

Thanked by 1netomx
  • CyberBunkers are mental. I heard they were just a marketing scam but I don't know. Insane.

Yeah, I read their stories there and they seem to be at least exagerated.

• I want a free shirt too.

• linuxthefishlinuxthefish Member
    edited March 2014

Google for "dmca free vps" and prepare to lose a lot of money switching providers every month.

EDIT: https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/GoodBadISPs