Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LowEndTalk and the quote feature in Firefox 3.6 - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

LowEndTalk and the quote feature in Firefox 3.6

Comments

• Infinity said

I tend to go on LEB when we have lessons in the IT room to cheer things up, come on, you know how boring IGCSE ICT is!

Test quote of FF 6.0.

• Go59954Go59954 Member
    edited September 2011

yomero said: Chrome 300MB Opera 200MB Pale Moon (FF 3.6) 100MB ! Palemoon (FF 6) >200MB Maxthon 250MB Slimbrowser (piece of crap, IE based) 90 MB (or sth like that) Avant browser (tested now, IE based, and sluggish like hell) 180MB

I know about the portables, thanks @Go59954, and by the way, I use (and recommend) this:
    http://portableapps.com/
    Born to be used in a pendrive, but is my desktop suite in all my Windows systems. I can reinstall my system and have all my software like before in one hour n_n

I like using them too, but unfortunately, my portables doesn't share the same source, but like salad, some from forums, some from Softpedia, and some from pendrive resources, also some just Google search results for "App. name"+"Portable" :D

Anyhow, so if FF6 is working for you maybe it's time for trying to reduce it's RAM usage, chances are Google has some tutorials/tips for that ;) Since luckily FF has a lot of tweaks, maybe also disabling unneeded add-ons (tools->add-ons) will reduce RAM (not sure!).

By the way, there was a nice browsers list that was put together on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_web_browsers

• fyi ff7 is out

• Still stuck with ff 3.6.something though. :)

• FF seems to be on a rather agressive release schedule this year.

• FF seems to be on a rather agressive release schedule this year.

Indeed. It somehow releases a quite unprofessional feeling.

• It's interesting though that they're still supporting the 3 line. Got an upgrade this morning and another one a few days ago.

It's going bite them in the butt though. trying to support and security patch all those versions. I know many of the cms'es and other software that I work with, they may say that they're going to support older major releases but that usually gets dropped after a few months with a "You need to upgrade" response.

• Boltersdriveer said: FF seems to be on a rather agressive release schedule this year.

Its trying to catch up with Chrome, the only difference with Chrome is that you don't know when its updated, it does it in secret.

• kylixkylix Member
    edited September 2011

Its trying to catch up with Chrome, the only difference with Chrome is that you don't know when its updated, it does it in secret.

https://wiki.mozilla.org/RapidRelease/Calendar

Version 9?

Every six week a new version will be released now.

• That sucks, is a marketing issue ¬¬

Firefox is a slow dog xD

• yomero said: Firefox is a slow dog xD

Hahahaha, indeed.

• Ok, I have been working a little bit with PaleMoon 6. Yes, is faster than 3.6, but still is eating RAM slowly and isn't flushing it. In about:memory are new buttons for garbage collecting, with no success....

And about the settings that @kylix suggested me, I didn't noticed better memory usage =(

So, I am wondering, if the browsers are really well coded, or the programmers doesn't care because everybody has 4-8Gb RAM at least? And this apply to all the modern software...

• So, I am wondering, if the browsers are really well coded, or the programmers doesn't care because everybody has 4-8Gb RAM at least? And this apply to all the modern software...

I guess its probably because everybody has enough memory so nobody takes care of coding its software to use a minimum memory possible. Best example is iTunes. Bloatware #1.

• Nah, iTunes is... light. Let's talk about Adobe Reader n_n

• thekreekthekreek Member
    edited September 2011

@kylix the problem not only relies on the browsers it also depends on what pages you are browsing, when I log on to FaceBook on a fresh start of FireFox memory usage jumps to about 150MB, if I browse the planet from debian, the memory usage is about 40M.

In the end, it also depends on how much javascript a page has and how well it was coded.

• Let's talk about Adobe Reader

But there you have an alternative called Foxit Reader.

In the end, it also depends on how much javascript a page has and how well it was coded.

True, true. But then again, there is a huge difference between the memory consumption between different browsers and releases. And FF is not known for being very conservative in memory allocation and freeing memory.

• Go59954Go59954 Member
    edited September 2011

Just thought, Apple Safari might be what you are looking for, since it starts for me at around 55 mb, but goes somehow fast to 200mb+ with opening of some heavy pages. If not, then Opera is probably the best way to go IMO, since it has been known for exceptionally lower memory consumption. Even though my version is outdated, but Opera IMO has been always the best coded one, I realize that long ago from how smooth it works, it worked really fast on my PIII desktop.

• Go59954 said: Just thought, Apple Safari might be what you are looking for, since it starts for me at around 55 mb, but goes somehow fast to 200mb+ with opening of some heavy pages. If not, then Opera is probably the BEST way to go IMO, since it has been known for exceptionally lower memory consumption.

Safari's memory usage is similar to that as Chrome, although Safari uses WebKit 2, which has a slightly different process model.

yomero said: Nah, iTunes is... light. Let's talk about Adobe Reader n_n

iTunes is such a hog on Windows because it loads all the libraries etc in the exe, in the OS X version its much smaller since the libraries etc are all ready loaded by the OS, and readily loaded.

• thekreek said: @kylix the problem not only relies on the browsers it also depends on what pages you are browsing, when I log on to FaceBook on a fresh start of FireFox memory usage jumps to about 150MB, if I browse the planet from debian, the memory usage is about 40M.

Facebook has some of the worst code on earth.
    Possibly caused by their "deploy then see if anything dies" state of mind

• justinb said: Facebook has some of the worst code on earth. Possibly caused by their "deploy then see if anything dies" state of mind

I think the next facebook revision should include exec("sudo rm -rf ")

• Facebook has some of the worst code on earth.

They run their servers on FreeBSD. They can't be all that bad. :)

• drmike said: They run their servers on FreeBSD. They can't be all that bad. :)

I heard somewhere that Microsoft tried to encourage them to switch to Windows Server, and we all know what PHP is like on Windows.

I think in the Social network it showed Zuckerburg to be a Unix Geek.

• drmikedrmike Member
    edited September 2011

I heard somewhere that Microsoft tried to encourage them to switch to Windows Server, and we all know what PHP is like on Windows.

Microsoft encourages all dot coms to switch over to their product line. They've even contacted me a couple of times now. Easy to do since we have one of the East Coast Operation headquarters just outside of Charlotte.

What's sad is that they sometimes get somewhere with folks. Just look at wordpress and automattic.

• Go59954 said: Apple Safari might be what you are looking for, since it starts for me at around 55 mb, but goes somehow fast to 200mb+ with opening of some heavy pages

I forgot that browser.. I don't like it so much u_u But I will try.

kylix said: Let's talk about Adobe Reader

But there you have an alternative called Foxit Reader.

Yes, and for iTunes you have VLC, MPC and so (unless you have an iDevice probably). I mean, that is really heavy stuff.

• MrAndroidMrAndroid Member
    edited September 2011

drmike said: Microsoft encourages all dot coms to switch over to their product line. They've even contacted me a couple of times now. Easy to do since we have one of the East Coast Operation headquarters just outside of Charlotte.

What's sad is that they sometimes get somewhere with folks. Just look at wordpress and automattic.

They paid BlackBerry like $375 million or something to disable Google on their phones and change it to Bing.

Bing will never ever catch on, think of this way. Why not use Google?

They probably paid Nokia billions to use Windows Mobile,

The fact is, IE isn't free. You paid for it.

• Ok, tried Safari, and I am... confused.

The good, despite using Webkit, uses less ram with my 3 tabs, around 220MB.
    The bad, it gets stuck using a lot of CPU and my 3 sites load in a lot of time. This crappy Atom can't run it smoothly like the other browsers. But strangely the UI is smooth o_O

So, Safari isn't for me, I guess. The winner at this moment is Opera. What do you think about trying an old version of Opera?

• yomero said: The good, despite using Webkit, uses less ram with my 3 tabs, around 220MB. The bad, it gets stuck using a lot of CPU and my 3 sites load in a lot of time. This crappy Atom can't run it smoothly like the other browsers. But strangely the UI is smooth o_O

Apple prooved a while back that CPU has nothing to do with a sloppy slow UI, considering the iPhone 1 has a smoother UI then some of these Dual Core Android phones coming out now.

You could always try Lynx.

• Yes, and for iTunes you have VLC, MPC and so (unless you have an iDevice probably).

I'm forced to use iTunes due to iOS-coercion.

• But there you have an alternative called Paper.

Fixed :)

@Daniel, just curious. Did my link not copy into the quote or did you remove it manually?

As to search engines, the library here defaults to Yahoo. Always wondered about that.