Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How much time it would take to learn PHP?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How much time it would take to learn PHP?

I know it depends upon interest and person to person. But there should be encouragement for others that they can do it.

How much time did you take to learn PHP+MySQL?
Share your experience and resources where anyone can learn.

Comments

• if you have knowledge and experience in programming. then it should be easy. get a cup of coffee, then until you finish it. you're already know php&mysql.

• 10 years ago i was learning how to script a virtual pet site, (wanted to learn php since i loved neopets back then) i had a basic site within 2 weeks, problem was it was hacked and people with getting millions of virtual currency. I had knowledge of html already.
    If you look at php tutorials for the basics it should take a week or two.

But it varies on how much you truly want to learn it and how much time you have to learn it.

When doing php i recommend looking up security on scripts - dont be like me and learn the hard way.

Dont worry i wont post a google link where to get php tutorials (joke from your other thread): -
    http://www.webmonkey.com/2010/02/php_tutorial_for_beginners/

• After basic tutorials, please do not hesitate to consult http://www.phptherightway.com/

It really gets you on the right track with PHP.

• khavkhav Member
    edited March 2014

Learning is a never ending process....As time passes you learn more and more

A tip on how to learn php or any other programming language

Start with the basic
    1)Variables

2)Doing basic arithmetic

3)Loops

4)String Manipulation

Then you just choose a project that you want to do and start coding it.
    When you don't know how to do things with php , use php documentation , google or use sites like stackoverflow to ask .

I always follow these principles when coding

1)Security (I ensure that all my user inputs are sanitized + my logic is good)

2)Performance (Is it the best way to code this module ? )

3)Always comment my code

• depends how deep you want to learn. could be 1 hour

• If you are really interested in it, you don't need to ask. You will just study it til you get it.

• After learning one coding language you practically know them all. After learning say Java EE (really well), learning PHP is a snap. I personally self taught myself by just by attempting.

Thanked by 1NickM
  • Did you setup a cronjob to create a new discussion every day?

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

A minute to learn, a lifetime to master.

• isy44h112 said: Did you setup a cronjob to create a new discussion every day?

>
    Should I not participate in this community? or Asking is illegal here? or should I ask every month not daily?

• FrankZFrankZ Veteran

@TheKiller - you could try smarty.. http://www.smarty.net/

• wychwych Member

@MikHo said:
    A minute to learn, a lifetime to master.

QFTW.

• nerouxneroux Member
    edited March 2014

Whats your background, respectively your experience in software development?

Depending on that the answer can be two to three weeks to half a year or even a year. And this refers to learning and understanding it properly, not some quickly hacked code, which will "explode" sooner or later. The latter can be achieved in a few hours.

• While I know this doesn't answer your question, consider giving this page a read:

http://me.veekun.com/blog/2012/04/09/php-a-fractal-of-bad-design/

Thanked by 1Zen
  • @TheKiller said:

Nope. Just curious what script you use.

• You can ask WHMCS

Thanked by 1nonuby
  • SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

If you already know a programming language then learning PHP is no bother at all (except for the inconsistencies in argument order and function naming). Learning the syntax is quite easy, learning to be able to code without the reference material is quite difficult (takes time). I would recommend a good IDE like Zend Studio (or NuSphere, although I haven't touched it in years).

Learning programming takes times (think of years until you master it). Especially with PHP make an effort not to do things the "easy" or "unclean" way. The world doesn't need more bad PHP code.

• ricardoricardo Member
    edited March 2014

It's worth remembering that you don't need to know how to build, design or maintain (so much) a car to be able to drive it.

said: I know it depends upon interest and person to person. But there should be encouragement for others that they can do it.

Yes, totally depends on the person. Some people would go crazy just with it being (mostly) a desk job. Like most things in life, it's up to you to motivate yourself to achieve what you set out to do.

IMO it takes a good half a decade to get a good all-round understanding of programming, computer science, maintenance........ you find there's always another thing worth learning and worth knowing.

• i am learning php well using it too, there lots of free online courses to learn php just ask google it would take maybe 1 month or 6 months

• PHP is a very flexible language, there is quite a good iPad app called Kodiak which has an almost complete PHP interpreter on it. Its good for playing with or testing something. Have a look at it.

• FlorisFloris Member
    edited March 2014

I´m going to get a full degree in this stuff, application development, I´ll be learning all languages in ~3 years.

• It took me about a week to get the basics, and I created my first web-application within a month. It has been almost 7 years since i started PHP and I am still learning new things everyday.

• draziloxdrazilox Member
    edited March 2014

I just learned object-oriented php a few weeks ago. Feels awesome. Makes things a lot easier.

• Find a tutorial that's right, Don't move around. Don't learn bad habits like mysql_connect.

Atleast find an up to date tut which talks about PDO Prepared Statements.

@joepie91 ??

• If you want to learn to build apps quickly, learn basic PHP and learn a framework (I recommend Laravel, Symphony is good too). Then just stick to the framework and your life as a programmer will be so much better.

• How long is a piece of string?

• Depends from person to person and how quickly you understand things. PHP is about understanding things and your ability to put it into practice really...

• 2 hours if you're familiar with j2ee

• Took me a couple of months.

• LeeLee Veteran

The great thing about PHP is that it takes no time at all to learn how to produce great looking scripts that work. It's just that they tend to have so many underlining issues because the person that did it only has a very limited knowledge/ability.