Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Softether and the damn Virtualnat
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Softether and the damn Virtualnat

Anyone with experience with softether and the damn virtualnat service? It works so nice .... but gets a big CPU amount when enabled.

Wanna know the alternative way to make this work without the CPU problem.

I have it in 3 different servers (1xwin 2xlinux) and same experience.

Thanks !

Comments

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2014

Looking at their homepage, its chinese?

SoftEther VPN is an optimum alternative to OpenVPN and Microsoft's VPN servers. SoftEther VPN has a clone-function of OpenVPN Server.

Why not use OpenVPN?

• I like this software much more, been using OpenVPN for years. Softether is simpler, easier to manage, supports High Ability and more ....

Just take a look !

Thanked by 1netomx

I dont know anything really about SoftEther but I suggest sticking with what people know and can help you with.

"High Ability": A quick Google search reveals that its TCP multiplexing.

Just use a OpenVPN UDP VPN. It uses less than 1% cpu on a Core i7 at 10mbit. TCP is not a good protocol for encapsulating IP.

Of course if you are trying to bypass a firewall (e.g GFC) use whatever works.

• SoftEther is a multi-protocol VPN program and works with OpenVPN too.

"SoftEther VPN has unlimited protocol transparency as exact same as physical Ethernet segments. There are many of protocols which can be used on Ethernet. For example, IPv4 (TCP, UDP, ICMP, ESP, GRE etc.),"

Why are you trying to change my mind to use a different software and telling me that the one you use is better without knowing what's this SoftEther, dude ? :)

I am not trying to change your mind, meerly suggesting that if you want assistance with a problem that you should perhaps use something that people can help you with.

In this case, I can recommend OpenVPN. From what I have heard of SoftEther and a quick look I dont think it uses the OpenVPN client or libraries to do its OpenVPN implementation, therefore despite using the same protocol it is not the same. And because of that, I recommend software that I (and most likely others from this forum) know more about.

Thanked by 1KeyJey
  • SplitIce said: SplitIce

I've been using OpenVPN in small production environtments the last years and wanna use other different options.

Anyway, thanks for your suggestions !

• MRmafMRmaf Member

I've been using SoftEther for a month now on 5 servers, yet to face any problems with CPU and RAM usage. Using local bridge.

Thanked by 1KeyJey
  • @MRmaf said:
    I've been using SoftEther for a month now on 5 servers, yet to face any problems with CPU and RAM usage. Using local bridge.

Then every server should be using dedicated VPS for this ? I mean for network security.

Should in this case setup a local DHCP server on every server?

• MRmafMRmaf Member

I'm using local bridge as it gives better speed than SecureNAT. Need a dhcp setup on each server.

I also initially tried using SecureNAT before moving to local bridge, also did not face any CPU/RAM problems. SecureNAT and local bridge should not be used simultaneously,

Thanked by 1KeyJey
  • @KeyJey

Send a PM to me with your question. I'm using Softether in production but without SecureNAT.

Thanked by 1KeyJey
  • Too bad we can't specify the protocol while connecting, for example ICPM or UDP. It's all automatically if i am not mistaken. Anyone succeed using the ICMP tunneling?

• NanoG6 said: NanoG6

What I understood is that ICMP connections are unstable due to the obvious design of the protocol and it should be used on emergency / puntual connections.

Seems that the access way is decided always by the admin, not by the user. But not sure about this ....

Thanks @MRmaf and @pbalazs123

Thanked by 1Trav