Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vultr Cloud ISO Testers Needed
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Vultr Cloud ISO Testers Needed

DaveADaveA Member
edited March 2014 in General

Hey All

If you're a customer of Vultr we're launching bring your own OS (ISO) on Monday 3/31/2014 in a limited beta test. Open a support ticket via your My.Vultr panel if you'd like to participate in this pre-launch beta test. We plan on launching for all users shortly after we receive feedback.

Notes:

a. This test is open to a limited number of users. It will be available on a first come first serve basis only.

b. The ISO's will be free during the beta test.

c. You must be an active verified customer to participate.

Thanks

Dave

Comments

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited March 2014

Ticket added :)

• n0myn0my Member

nice

• @DaveA - ticket added. :D Looking forward to own .iso files on Vultr

Thanked by 1DaveA
  • Yay, I've been accepted. Looking forward to testing this.

• DaveADaveA Member

@amarc said:
    DaveA you won't be charging for that I hope.. (as you say "free in Beta" )

"b. The ISO's will be free during the beta test."

not sure how else we can word this so you can understand...

Thanked by 2netomx KeyJey
  • @DaveA - can you tell us something about how much it will cost in the future, having .iso file(s) uploaded? Will you only charge for GB stored, or do we have to pay extra for the option to upload .iso files?
    Any info is good info.

• DaveADaveA Member

...maybe we'll even send our beta testers a Vultr!

• @amarc said:

That would be awesome!

I prefer this over charging for the gb space used.... It's not like you will reinstall several times so why keep the iso if you aint? :P

• PwnerPwner Member
    edited March 2014

@DaveA said:

Now I feel compelled to sign up on Vultr and participate in the beta test. It's like those little toys they give you when you participate in the magazine drives for school.

• @DaveA said:

Put in a ticket, because I want one of those.

• @DaveA said:

Want one of theses:D

• Hi Dave,

May I make a suggestion to offer additional IPs with the Vultr service? This is the number one complaint for digital ocean and when you consider hourly cloud services from softlayer which allow up to 9 ips per cloud server + rackspace which allows 5 ips per cloud server it doesn't match up to the competition. I know there are abuse issues but I'm not suggesting allocating anything bigger than /28's (there will always be abuse issues, it's the nature of the business). This is my honest review/feedback.

• DaveADaveA Member

@holyearth - We will offer additional IP's very soon. No later than April 14th, but we hope to have it available as early as next week.

• DaveADaveA Member

Thank you everyone, the limited beta test is now full.

• @DaveA what about Automatic backups and Snapshots ? I think that's really important features.

• I wish i would've applied for the test before it filled up lol.

• @DaveA said:
    Thank you everyone, the limited beta test is now full.

Awww. Custom ISOs made me actually want to try out Vultr :P.

• @Shados said:
    Awww. Custom ISOs made me actually want to try out Vultr :P.

Me too, possibly the single thing that would win we over from DO (full disk encryption).

• Ahw... :-(

• Aaww... I'm too late again :-(

• ticket submited but looks like i'm too late :(

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2014

said: b. The ISO's will be free during the beta test.

In my personal opinion, ISO's should really be just free.

Lets be honest, your goal as a business is to attract customers. You should be able to absorb the disk storage cost of ISO's. Other than disk storage, there really isn't any other costs (automated upload).

Of course you set your policies, but I think I will steer clear for now.

Custom ISO's (and hence kernels, given DO's restrictive kernel policy) would be a big win.

Thanked by 2darkshire 0xdragon
  • Disappointed I missed out on the beta

• DaveA said: ...maybe we'll even send our beta testers a Vultr!

So cool n funny ! ;)

• What's a vultr?

• @tr1cky said:
    What's a vultr?

Looks like a baby seal.

• DaveADaveA Member

T minus ~40 hours until ISO beta test begins!

• @DaveA said:
    T minus ~40 hours until ISO beta test begins!

I have asked already but no reply was given, so

what about Automatic backups and Snapshots ? I think that's really important features.

• n0myn0my Member
    edited March 2014

tr1cky said: What's a vultr?

• hey @DaveA I have similar question on the 'ISOs free during beta' comment..

Do you only mean that the testing instances themselves will be free.. or does this imply you'll be charging just to store a disk image that can be deployed later?

Even if you can't store them for free I'd at least like the ability to use my own image upload when deploying (at no cost). If i have to store it on Google Drive or S3, oh well really..

I'm hoping it just means that the VMs aren't normally free lol, which should be obvious.

Been using Vultr for a few weeks only now; but I am really liking it. Even the shell is noticeably faster than my old DO instances. -SO- far I've been getting more consistent results. Hope ya'll can keep up the good work and good stats!