Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SSD supplier in UK?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

SSD supplier in UK?

We are looking at providing SSD VPS and I am looking for recommendations for good suppliers in the UK. In my experience getting disks from Dell involves a cost premium.

Having looked at enterprise class SSD pricing, I don't know how some suppliers do SSD without perhaps using consumer disks...

Anyway, thoughts on SSD suppliers much appreciated!

Nick

Comments

• BHostBHost Member

So according to my calculations, if we got Intel S3500 or S3700 drives (i.e. datacentre grade SSDs) we couldn't really do LEB / LET price ranges...

• BitmapBitmap Member
    edited March 2014

@BHost said:
    So according to my calculations, if we got Intel S3500 or S3700 drives (i.e. datacentre grade SSDs) we couldn't really do LEB / LET price ranges...

I'm assuming some people offering SSD storage at < $7 are overselling.

• how about "ssd accelerated" instead?

• inthecloudblog said: how about "ssd accelerated" instead?

That's a combination of HDD + SSD and caching technology. Not a single drive.

• @concerto49 said:
    That's a combination of HDD + SSD and caching technology. Not a single drive.

It can be SSHD.

• RophRoph Member
    edited March 2014

IIRC, Nick from RamNode uses mostly Samsung 840 Pros.

Stay away from TLC, but MLC should do you fine. The drives should become obsolete space/performance wise before you run out of write cycles.

Or to put it another way, they'll die long after the average time it would take for a mechanical HDD to die from constant pounding.

Crucial's M500/M550 line are currently top of the stack for best value MLC.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@forthcloud said:
    It can be SSHD

Not ever seen an enterprise model and also won't be nearly as flexible as an SSD cache.

I've also been looking for a decent supplier, most suppliers where I get decent deals from with other hardware either don't sell or sell at a terribly expensive price.

• wychwych Member
    edited March 2014

Try Scan.

• 256gb 840 mlc's should last roughly 7 years with 100GB written to it per day.
    256gb 840 tlc's should last roughly 2 years with 100GB written per day.
    512gb 840 mlc's will on average last 10+ years at 100GB per day.
    512gb 840 tlc's will on average last 3 years at 100GB per day.

Even at several TB (terrabytes) per day you should average 5 years or so with a 512gb mlc drive.

If you overprovision and reduce the 512gb drives to around 480gb you should get something stupid like 20+ years at several TB per day with the mlc drives.

The newer (since 840 came out) mlc drives are tanks.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6459/samsung-ssd-840-testing-the-endurance-of-tlc-nand
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?271063-SSD-Write-Endurance-25nm-Vs-34nm
    http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/5196/samsung-840-ssd-storage-endurance-testing-tlc-to-the-end/index3.html
    http://jesusnjim.com/calculators/SSD-lifespan-calculator.html

Thanked by 1BHost
  • BHostBHost Member

Thanks for these tips. I'll check out the Samsung 840s as an option. SSDs are certainly a large capital investment. Hope to launch SSD services soon. Will keep this thread posted on the outcome!

• I'd be looking at the Intel drives, the 530/730 series for this sort of thing should be fine too. In this sort of market segment you want to use the most readily available drive you can get in case of a failure.

I would also be keeping a couple on the shelf, and making sure the monitoring of their health is a top priority.

Thanked by 2BHost JoeBiss
  • Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Roph said: IIRC, Nick from RamNode uses mostly Samsung 840 Pros.

Nope

• @Nick_A said:
    Nope

Seriously Nick, if you had the energy to hit quote and type 4 letters on your keyboard, you could at least tell us what you are using, or make a statement that you do not publicly release that information.

And yes, I am on your customer list.

• BHostBHost Member
    edited March 2014

I would also be keeping a couple on the shelf, and making sure the monitoring of their health is a top priority.

Oh we do! We've got Nagios monitoring all drives, and have caddied ready spares waiting in each rack for quick swapout if necessary :) http://imgur.com/ehIi3xg

Thanked by 1Monsta_AU
  • jmginerjmginer Member, Patron Provider

We buy in Alternate

• @forthcloud said:
    It can be SSHD.

SSHD == Garbage

• @Monsta_AU said:
    Seriously Nick, if you had the energy to hit quote and type 4 letters on your keyboard, you could at least tell us what you are using, or make a statement that you do not publicly release that information.
    And yes, I am on your customer list.

It's probably a "trade secret", like the recipe for Coke or Pepsi.

• sycoticsycotic Member
    edited March 2014

@BHost said:
    Thanks for these tips. I'll check out the Samsung 840s as an option. SSDs are certainly a large capital investment. Hope to launch SSD services soon. Will keep this thread posted on the outcome!

The biggest difference really comes with the warranty. The reason why the enterprise drives cost so much is that they have awesome warranties. The samsung enterprise drives come with a 5 year warranty with anywhere from 1 - 24 petabytes written to drive (dependent on drive and capacity). Thus you are guaranteed a minimum service lifespan of the drives in a server environment.

The 840 pro's warranty is only valid for 40GB/day (in enterprise environments thats about 71 TB/5 year warranty). The enterprise drives are in the 1-24TB/day(up to 40 PB/5years).

840's have no enterprise warranty what so ever. 840 evo most likely do not have enterprise warranties either (I can't find the specific warranty).

www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/Downloads/DataSheet-Samsung_SSD_840_PRO_Rev12.pdf
    http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/Downloads/CeBIT_DRAM_SSD_Synopsis_Customers.pdf

• @petris said:
    It's probably a "trade secret", like the recipe for Coke or Pepsi.

Hence the 'We do not make the information public" line.

• @Monsta_AU said:
    Hence the 'We do not make the information public" line.

I guess, however I always assume that unless the provider comes out and says otherwise. Providers aren't obligated to explain their server setup.

• @petris said:
    I guess, however I always assume that unless the provider comes out and says otherwise. Providers aren't obligated to explain their server setup.

Exactly. It was the attitude which was the problem.

• @Monsta_AU said:
    Exactly. It was the attitude which was the problem.

Attitude?

• @sycotic said:
    Attitude?

Yes attitude. Demeanour. Tone. Whatever you want to call it.

To just jump in and say 'Nope' [you are wrong] was a rather unprofessional way to handle the poster who made the assertion. A little bit of consideration before you post makes for a better community, and more than likely happier customers (and prospective customers).

• He corrected an (incorrect) assumption about which drives he uses simply using one word which provided the correction. No one has asked him which drives he uses, particularly the OP. His question is about who best to buy them from. You're really clutching at straws.

Thanked by 1Nick_A
  • @Monsta_AU said:
    To just jump in and say 'Nope' [you are wrong] was a rather unprofessional way to handle the poster who made the assertion. A little bit of consideration before you post makes for a better community, and more than likely happier customers (and prospective customers).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychological_projection

Thanked by 1Monsta_AU
  • @Nick_A

Which SSDs do you use?

ricardo said: No one has asked him which drives he uses

Fixed.

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Yeah, what @ricardo said. I'm surprised to see someone trying to scold me for what was just a simple correction of an incorrect assumption. No one expressed any desire to know what we use, so I'm not sure why you expected me to provide more information in that context. I don't see how my simple post could be so offensive.

To continue in the same lighthearted vein that my original "Nope" was meant to come across in:

@concerto - fast ones :)

Thanked by 1sycotic
  • laaevlaaev Member

Ohh, where's the transparency now? :)

• Nick_A said: fast ones :)

• said: We are looking at providing SSD VPS and I am looking for recommendations for good suppliers in the UK.

You can get 1TB Samsung EVO 840's for £355.76

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00E3W16OU/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&psc=1&s=computers