Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ajenti V now supports RHEL/CentOS, suddenly a real VestaCP competitor?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Ajenti V now supports RHEL/CentOS, suddenly a real VestaCP competitor?

Monsta_AUMonsta_AU Member
edited March 2014 in General

Most of us would know of Ajenti - a server admin panel which does some very nice things. I would think there are more than just a few members here on LET that have used it.

There has also been a hosting panel called Ajenti V which has been in beta for a while now. Unfortunately for me, the beta has been limited to Debian & derivative distributions (Ubuntu) and I live in an RHEL world. But that all changed today when I received an email the developer stating that Ajenti V now has RHEL packages available in the repository. The packages are ready to install now, which makes Monsta a happy boy.

The code is still in beta, but the featureset is compelling for LEB level machines:
nginx, php-fpm, node.js, python, ruby, MySQL & supervisord. For those wanting to try it out on a RHEL-based distribution the instructions to install are at http://support.ajenti.org/topic/423530-installing-ajenti-v-on-centosrhel/

With a pending release of VestaCP 0.9.8-8 due any second now, I think there is a two horse race to be the cPanel alternative. It can only be a good thing for all of us to have two robustly built and supported free packages to chose from.

Of course I should not have to say it, but THIS IS BETA SOFTWARE, do not run it in a production environment. That said, please do test it and report the bugs.

Comments

• thanks

Thanked by 1Monsta_AU
  • FritzFritz Veteran

Going to use it on idle VPS.

• Interesting the docs still use apt-get install for CentOS packages...not sure how well that is going to go.

• This looks pretty interesting... I'll have to try it out. It's cool that it's under LGPL for personal use.

• Ben_Ben_ Member

what about froxlor it's completely open source and looks very fast. check the demo here http://demo.froxlor.org/index.php

Thanked by 1Jak
  • Monsta_AUMonsta_AU Member
    edited March 2014

@Ben_ said:
    what about froxlor it's completely open source and looks very fast. check the demo here http://demo.froxlor.org/index.php

Froxlor does NOT support RHEL-based distros. Both VestaCP and (now) Ajenti V do support RHEL-based distros. Which was kind of the point of this whole thread.

For any web panel to be a real alternative (not replacement) for cPanel, it needs to support both linux camps.

• GaNiGaNi Member
    edited March 2014

nvm

• This thread is about Ajenti V which is a Hosting Panel in beta

Thanked by 1Monsta_AU
  • Ajenti was alright when I was testing it out. At that time, however, I was utilizing the systems panel of it and not the web hosting portion.

Thanked by 1Monsta_AU
  • @daxterfellowes said:
    Ajenti was alright when I was testing it out. At that time, however, I was utilizing the systems panel of it and not the web hosting portion.

Definitely worth a second look then. I think it could be a real option to those already using and familiar with it. The interface is clean and works well on tablets & phones as it has responsive design.

I don't think it is as advanced as VestaCP in the multi-site & multi-account (user) space yet, but they are ahead in the nginx-only & php-fpm stakes so for those people running a handful of wordpress sites then this might be perfect for them.

• @Monsta_AU said:
    I don't think it is as advanced as VestaCP in the multi-site & multi-account (user) space yet, but they are ahead in the nginx-only & php-fpm stakes so for those people running a handful of wordpress sites then this might be perfect for them.

Now are you looking at it from the server admin portion or the web hosting portion? Coming from using Webmin.

• @daxterfellowes said:
    Now are you looking at it from the server admin portion or the web hosting portion? Coming from using Webmin.

I am looking at it as a whole system panel now. So neither of the above, yet incorporating both.

• Hi guys.

I'm the main developer of Ajenti and Ajenti V and I'll gladly answer any questions you have :)

• Thanks for popping by @eugeny - I am testing things at home for now, and will put it on an external VPS shortly.

• GaNiGaNi Member
    edited March 2014

Tested, reported and got it fixed as well. Amazingly fast response, even on a Sunday!

Thanked by 1Monsta_AU
  • @eugeny said:
    Hi guys.

I'm the main developer of Ajenti and Ajenti V and I'll gladly answer any questions you have :)

i have tested it on centos and debian last week. Ajenti installed ok, but Ajenti V has a lot of dependencies that cannot be resolved by both OS.
    i dont know much about linux package, but can the install script includes (links) those dependencies as well?

• I managed to finally get it work with php-fpm and nginx. Was a nightmare, but works really well now. :-)

• eugenyeugeny Member
    edited April 2014

@zzzcollapsar said:
    i dont know much about linux package, but can the install script includes (links) those dependencies as well?

Actually we bundle all dependencies in our repo. Maybe you are using some exotic CPU architecture (we have only x86 and x86-64 packages)?

• eugenyeugeny Member
    edited April 2014

@DarioX said:
    I managed to finally get it work with php-fpm and nginx. Was a nightmare, but works really well now. :-)

What was the nightmare? Share your experience :)

Thanked by 1Monsta_AU
  • @eugeny said:
    Actually we bundle all dependencies in our repo. Maybe you are using some exotic CPU architecture (we have only x86 and x86-64 packages)?

hmm, that might be the reason. I tested it on the vps.me free vps. probably they did something weird to the visualization.
    will give a try on other vps.