Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BurstNet Moving Colo Servers to North Carolina and Increasing Prices - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

BurstNet Moving Colo Servers to North Carolina and Increasing Prices

Comments

• They should at least have 500 dedis in the new DC and offer people to move their data and have it running first while they migrate their hardware or something. Or just give dedicated customers new upgraded dedicated servers for the same price and everyone will be happy.

• BrianHarrisonBrianHarrison Member, Patron Provider

@MarkTurner said:
    If you do it right, its relatively simple to do. We bought a company in San Jose a few years ago who was going bust, landlord was tossing them out the door. We rolled the racks into the elevator, trucked them across town and plugged them back in. Downtime was about 2 hours.

How many guys did you have on each rolling rack? Those racks must've been a bear to roll around -- a fully loaded rack should weigh well over 1000lbs. I can't imagine the result if one of the fully loaded racks slipped off a lift gate or the wheel on your dolly gave way.

• It was three guys per rack, all lino flooring so not too much drag. Enterprise racks way a tonne, but my experience of this type of hosting company they deliver 20A power per rack so they can only load the rack 50% full before running out of juice.

• @jbiloh said:
    I cannot believe how poorly written their customer communication emails are. Just brutal. Literally tough to read.

That said, I expect that this is the end of BurstNET. The days of them being a real player in the industry are numbered/over.

Maybe the DC in PA is up for sale?

• According to some documents I was shown this evening BurstNet have a credit line of around $975K, secured against the property. Maybe they are liquidating the building to recoup some money.

• VDS6VDS6 Member
    edited March 2014

Good for Burst. Im moving my family to NC from Boston, MA this august too: cheap land, cheap rent, cheap electric, more sun, warmer water in the atlantic during summer months.

• This stinks. I had previously though of getting Colo with them because I'm only an hour or so drive away. Good thing I didn't because if they did this and made me pay shipping to get my server back I would have been pissed.

• @MarkTurner what part of NC Mark? Lenoir area with all the other big names? Would be kewl. Im from that area.

• @Princeshoko - Charlotte

• Nice. Thats not bad either.

• @Princeshoko - never been there but the photos of the area and the datacentre build are very pleasant.

• Charlotte is a nice place and about ~45 minutes away from the Hickory/Lenoir area.

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

catalystium said: Charlotte is a nice place and about ~45 minutes away from the Hickory/Lenoir area.

And only ~8 hours away from Scranton.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

I'll be impressed if they manage to limit average downtime to less than 48 hours per server.

• hbjlee17hbjlee17 Member, Host Rep

and... we are out~ :P cant risk them moving the server, what if... servers dissapeared.

• @hbjlee17 - one of the points that was never addressed was insurance coverage for this move.

• @Liam said:
    Third and final part, Worried about security? Don't worry meet Benji. When not hiding from customers in his office, he likes to reaffirm his masculinity by going for a shoot up!

( Src: https://www.facebook.com/benjamin.arcus )

Now that was a good read! :)

• hbjlee17hbjlee17 Member, Host Rep

i met the building owner on my way out and he said "they are fucked"
    so ya..... if someone is still a client of burstnet i'd highly recommend making backup and get outta there lol

• We've seen an uptake in colo in Minneapolis/Atlanta with people desperately looking for low cost alternatives.

• dacentecdacentec Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2014

They are coming to the right state. They will be in our pickup area in NC after the move. We pick up equipment free in some cases.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

@liam you made me laugh out loud, bravo! :)

I feel really badly for the customers that are going to be impacted over this event. These sorts of poorly planned out migrations never go well, and given the time frames involved there is no question this is a billing related issue. BurstNET's financial position must be difficult.

• BruceBruce Member

@MarkTurner said:
    We've seen an uptake in colo in Minneapolis/Atlanta with people desperately looking for low cost alternatives.

didn't you say you didn't do colo? maybe you were only referring to delimiter

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Bruce said: didn't you say you didn't do colo? maybe you were only referring to delimiter

The quoted post does not say they do colo at all.

• catalystiumcatalystium Member
    edited March 2014

@Bruce said:
    didn't you say you didn't do colo? maybe you were only referring to delimiter

They have a post on WHT about doing colo for Burst clients: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1359317

• @Bruce - we have about 100,000 SQF across the US of datacentre space. Certain businesses sell colo and the post above from @catalystium seems that Delimiter has jumped on that bandwagon (its in their portfolio).

I know that two of my colleagues drove to PA last week to pick up a large customer's racks. I'm betting that given what has now transpired that it was probably a collection from Burstnet.

We've seen an influx of new colo customers especially in Minneapolis, so it all probably ties in.

• The original BurstNet facility (in Scranton) is now up for sale: http://www.loopnet.com/Listing/18382716/422-Prescott-Avenue-Scranton-PA/

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

MarkTurner said: I know that two of my colleagues drove to PA last week to pick up a large customer's racks. I'm betting that given what has now transpired that it was probably a collection from Burstnet.
    We've seen an influx of new colo customers especially in Minneapolis, so it all probably ties in.

123Systems said: The original BurstNet facility (in Scranton) is now up for sale: http://www.loopnet.com/Listing/18382716/422-Prescott-Avenue-Scranton-PA/

So, did Burst burst? If all those things are true, they must be in a dire situation.

• MarkTurner said: Minneapolis

Cheap colo? Minnesota? Where?

Thanked by 1netomx
  • dacentecdacentec Member, Host Rep

The WHT story was just updated with links to some legal cases/docs.

• Any updates on this?