Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BurstNet Moving Colo Servers to North Carolina and Increasing Prices
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

BurstNet Moving Colo Servers to North Carolina and Increasing Prices

Just saw this at WHT, this is alarming. My question is didn't they just open their Dunmore, PA datacenter? Are they closing that down and moving everything to North Carolina?

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?p=9052026

Over the years the cost for electric has consistently gone up, as well as many other expenses surrounding the COLO business. We, up until now, have been absorbing the cost spikes. Also, BurstNET is one of the only providers that does not require a 36 month contract and does not charge the average $399.00 set up fees.

Effective with your next billing cycle, New BurstNET COLO pricing, which includes monthly power, will be as follows:

Full Rack $899/month
Half Rack $499/month
Quarter Rack $299/month
Single Server $99/month
Due to our prior and estimated growth, we are heavily investing in the business. Your COLO racks/Servers have been selected to be relocated. We are upgrading our COLO facility to the following:

Our Tier 3 Data Center in North Carolina
More Redundant Network with 3X the carriers currently provided
Double the bandwidth capacity
Type II audited facility
These changes will go into effect on your next billing cycle and your servers will be moved on Sunday March 30th 2014. You will receive another update with service downtime to accommodate the move. Assume your servers will be offline from 9PM ET Sunday March 30th until Monday March 31st 9AM ET.

If you have any questions, please contact Keith Vannan directly at 570-955-1993 x1538 or via email at [email protected]. Thank you.

Comments

• laaevlaaev Member

I personally think that BurstNet was sold.

• catalystiumcatalystium Member
    edited March 2014

Seems like they can't make up their minds..

EDIT: Wonder what DC they are moving to.

• edited March 2014

New CEO, new "VP of client care" and two new members of the "client satisfaction team" all within a little over a month according to their Facebook.

• MicrolinuxMicrolinux Member
    edited March 2014

backlogcapital.com/portfolio.html

www.linkedin.com/pub/jw-ray/11/778/a11

Maybe not sold per-se, but heavily invested in and majority control taken over?

• Additionally:

Changed role a few months ago.

• Looks like they are moving VPS too:

Expect your vps server xxxxx.burst.net to will be offline for 13-15 hours starting on March 22nd, 2014. You should expect that your server will be taken off line at 8PM and will be back on line at approximately March 23rd 10AM.

As you are aware, we have had a few issues with the network at our current Scranton PA facility. After in depth evaluation over the past 90 days, it has been determined that the current facility infrastructure cannot be ameliorated to the point that we require to provide our valued clients the dependability, reliability, and performance they deserve and should expect.

We are moving all of our Dedicated and VPS clients to our new, state-of-the-art Data Center (DC) in North Carolina. Some of the many improvements for you will be:

Tier 3 Data Center in North Carolina
        More Redundant Network - Current state = 2 providers.
        New DC = 9 providers up to 100 GBPS available
        Double the bandwidth capacity of the Scranton PA facility
        Type II audited facility
        Our new facility is on a high priority power grid
        4MW total power
        1+1 generator design
        7 layer security including biometric scanning and PIN Access

During this one time move to increase our service levels and your future performance expect your servers to be offline 13-15 hours on March 22nd 2014. You should expect that your servers will be taken off line at 8PM EST and will be back on line at approximately 10AM March 23rd.

For your inconvenience, we will be discounting your April 2014 invoice by 20%.

To discuss any issues and track your server the day of the move, please log into

http://www.webteach.com/r/3049/0a0/burstnet-support#sthash.CLdYIEMF.dpuf
    from 8PM March 22nd until your server is back on line. Thank you. 

• RalliasRallias Member
    edited March 2014

So a downgrade?

There's no good hosting in North Carolina. At least, not for latency-dependent tasks.

What they had was deep integration into the Scranton PA BGP party. Now they're going into a new party that they know nothing about, taking time to build up new relationships while current customers suffer.

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • qpsqps Member, Host Rep

Rallias said: There's no good hosting in North Carolina. At least, not for latency-dependent tasks.

There are actually some decent ones in NC, but they don't generally advertise to the LE*/WHT croud. NC is also home to major data centers for Google, Apple, Facebook and many others.

Latency isn't that big of an issue, but it depends on where you're trying to reach.

Thanked by 2dacentec Infinity
  • catalystiumcatalystium Member
    edited March 2014

Nothing wrong with NC dc's, Dacentec definitely gets a major thumbs up in my book :-).

EDIT: Seen someone post the DC, http://www.dc74.com/

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited March 2014

LOL. This just reiterates why I will never be a BurstNet customer. Things with them just keep going downhill. Ever since VolumeDrive left it seems they haven't been able to afford their own infrastructure any longer. First the whole deal with Dallas, now this?

This is also likely why BurstNet made such a big to do when VolumeDrive left.

I would also consider it a downgrade for all of those who purchased their services to provide for the North East and central region, will defiantly end up suffering from higher pings. If I were a current BurstNet customer I would be headed for the door in short order and be looking to find a better more reputable provider.

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

• We're building out in NC at the moment, whilst the pickings in terms of transit providers is a little more lean than New York or Atlanta, the power is quite competitively priced. Duke Energy offer some great incentives for large power commits.

• @catalystium said:
    Nothing wrong with NC dc's, Dacentec definitely gets a major thumbs up in my book :-).

Agree

Thumbs down to BurstNet though

Thanked by 1dacentec
  • @geekalot said:
    Thumbs down to BurstNet though

That's true haha.

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited March 2014

I had services with Burst from 2001 right through to when they sold off the UK element. Was always a solid service to be fair, had it's issues but I have seen a steady decline since then. Not sure what to make of this, seems to be a big push in a different direction.

Which is sometimes the best thing to do for a company, instead of trying to make gradual change. Shit for the customers of course.

• DaveADaveA Member

There's no way you can move servers from PA to North Carolina in 13 hours. Be Prepared for days of downtime. If you move just 500 servers, lets say it takes 3 hours to unrack them, secure them for shipping, load them on a truck. Then you drive and theres somehow no traffic (11 hours in a truck driving carefully). Now you have to unload, prep, rack, stack, power, run network cables, configure network, deal with unforseen issues from transportation, etc). Good luck to anyone with a server(s) there.

• You don't unrack them - you either ship the whole rack - and prepare the receiving end with a power outlet above and fibre already hanging from the ladder. Roll the rack out, stick it in the truck, fill it up with racks, drive to new location roll it back out, power up and plug in.

If you do it right, its relatively simple to do. We bought a company in San Jose a few years ago who was going bust, landlord was tossing them out the door. We rolled the racks into the elevator, trucked them across town and plugged them back in. Downtime was about 2 hours.

I wouldn't want to do it again but in that instance it was an emergency so no choice. This should have been planned better - more notice - staged over multiple days - unless there is an underlying emergency which you don't know about yet.

The other way I have seen it done, is shipping just the disks - ensuring both ends have identical hardware. Pull the disks out (assuming trays), transport, plug in, power up.

None of its ideal and really should have been better handled.

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • 123Systems123Systems Member
    edited March 2014

@DaveA said:
    There's no way you can move servers from PA to North Carolina in 13 hours.

A BurstNET rep stated they are shipping the entire racks, not unracking the servers. They supposedly already have a tech in NC prepping the network for the rack arrivals.

• DaveADaveA Member

@123Systems - ha, OK.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

As I said, this year is going to be interesting.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

I cannot believe how poorly written their customer communication emails are. Just brutal. Literally tough to read.

That said, I expect that this is the end of BurstNET. The days of them being a real player in the industry are numbered/over.

• serverianserverian Member
    edited March 2014

@jbiloh said:
    I cannot believe how poorly written their customer communication emails are. Just brutal. Literally tough to read.

That said, I expect that this is the end of BurstNET. The days of them being a real player in the industry are numbered/over.

Nah, the new CEO knows what he's doing. They are just ditching the lower paying clients. It's not moral nor ethical. But I doubt that guy has any of them anyway.

Thanked by 3Maounique Liam Infinity

serverian said: It's not moral or ethical. But I doubt that guy has any of them.

Yeah, each time I see something about them I am happy they reject romanians as customers, sometimes it is just better to be kept at the door, especially in areas with a high rate of earthquakes.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

@serverian said:
    Nah, the new CEO knows what he's doing. They are just ditching the lower paying clients. It's not moral nor ethical. But I doubt that guy has any of them anyway.

High paying clients do not accept a botched migration with 7 days notice.

Thanked by 2Pwner linuxthefish
  • @jbiloh said:
    High paying clients do not accept a botched migration with 7 days notice.

Do you think they didn't notify them before? :)

@serverian said:

I do, this looks like an unplanned forced move for more reasons that transpired in the message.

• marcmmarcm Member

jbiloh said: High paying clients do not accept a botched migration with 7 days notice.

Hey there :-) How's it going?

• @Maounique said:

It looks unplanned.

@serverian said:
    It looks unplanned.

Yes, maybe they had such a move in mind for some time, but I think now more issues are pressing for it.

• laaevlaaev Member

Looks like they are moving everyone from Dunmore to NC, not just colo clients.